Sponsored by:

Keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Keys

Picked up a 2005 Turbo. It was delivered with the extra key. The guy I got it from sent me two new remote keys. They have blank key blades ie are not cut. Local independent Porsche shop said they can program the car to accept the keys but they must be in the ignition, so they must be cut. Called and went to all the locksmiths and key shops in the area and none of them can copy my extra key to the new blanks. Say their cutter will not do Porsche Keys.

Ordered a key from the dealer.

What to do with the new "blank" keys with remote?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Disassemble all 4 units, move cut key blades to new remotes. Then, have the dealer program your car to the new remotes. Obviously there are some logistics involved.

I ordered a spare key off eBay when I first purchased my 04 turbo. I did a lot of reading due to the extreme price differences online and found that Genuine Porsche key blades are made of a softer (easy to cut) material vs the cheap Chinese knockoffs. The knockoffs are made with stainless steel which ruins the locksmith's cutter.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:32 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACE Hardware cuts porsche keys. $25 IIRC
Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 PM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be willing to take a gamble on these "blank keys" depending on the price. My 2nd cayenne turbo I recently purchased had 2 keys but neither are the OEM switchblades.

PM me with a price.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:46 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

You misunderstood. The only cut key I have is the extra key.
Found a place that says they might be able to cut the keys.
Depends on the material the blades are made from.
Will see if they can cut one of the blank bladed remote fobs.
If they can cut it, will be selling one of the blanks with remote keyfob.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

How much is the programming going to cost?

I only got one key with my P!g. I haven't had another made because the local dealer wants $300, and that just kills me.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:55 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

The web site I first found was a company in Ohio says they sell a remote fob with blank for $230 and $30 to cut the blank for your car. Think they said it is 30 minutes to program the car to accept the keys. You have to have all the keys. they erase the key memory and you add each key back. Won't know much for a week, they work by appointment and you have to provide ID and Title so they can get the key cut number and car code.

They are very apprehensive about me providing the remotes with blanks because some of the blanks are steel and will wreak havok with their expensive CNC mill used to cut the keys, and there are also two different remote frequencies that were used. Not too confident in the guy I got the Turbo from. He had put the smaller 6 cyl rotors on the front and only half the pad was even touching the rotor. He had also replaced all the bulbs with LEDs that did not have the resistors and it was getting replace bulb errors like crazy. Because of that track record I went ahead and ordered a key from the dealer so I would be sure and have a remote key that worked!

Hopefully when this is over I will have 2 keys with remote fob and one extra key with no remote, and be able to sell the other key with remote fob.

Found most key places can't cut Porsche keys because the cut goes farther back on the key (towards the fob) than their key cutters can cut.
The place I found calls the longer cut a security key.

When you order a key from a dealer it comes already cut for your car and is the correct frequency so the car only needs reprogramed for all the keys you have. It is a passworded PIWIS thing and each car has a key reprogamming password code.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
ACE Hardware cuts porsche keys. $25 IIRC
Cool! Have you personally had them cut a new Cayenne key for you?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Any good locksmith can cut Porsche keys - it's not that unique.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Cool! Have you personally had them cut a new Cayenne key for you?
I have a 09 GTS which came with 2 keys. One of the keys was old and was falling apart. I ordered a new key and shell of ebay for $10, then transferred the computer chip to the ebay key and glued it together. I took my good oem key and the blank ebay key to ACE and they cut it in 5 min for $25. Works identical to the OEM. Only difference in the ebay key is the panic button looks a little more pink than red. It was either that or $400 for a new key from the dealer + programming.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
I have a 09 GTS which came with 2 keys. One of the keys was old and was falling apart. I ordered a new key and shell of ebay for $10, then transferred the computer chip to the ebay key and glued it together. I took my good oem key and the blank ebay key to ACE and they cut it in 5 min for $25. Works identical to the OEM. Only difference in the ebay key is the panic button looks a little more pink than red. It was either that or $400 for a new key from the dealer + programming.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. The only place around me willing to touch my Cayenne keys is the dealer.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:48 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI, key blades do not have to be cut to work in the ignition. You can program a key with a totally blank blade. The cut in the blade is only for the door locks.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:17 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Just going by what my tech with the PIWIS tells me on needing a key cut to program car for it.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. Ignition locks are all the same part number. There are no keyed parts inside, just programming.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:35 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keys

Hello all, I purchased a 2004 Cayenne with only came with one key that has the FOB broken. It is taped up and doesn't work at all. I want to get a copy. I found some locksmiths who are willing to copy it for me if I have a blank.

Here's the problem. I really am looking for a Blank that is programmable by the dealer and a fob with it that will work with my Cayenne to open doors.

I plan to have my lock smith cut it and my dealer program the key and the FOB. Where can I get a spare that will work? Would any of these be good options?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YH-New-Uncut...JXmbEf&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Oem...9U98A-&vxp=mtr

A blank with responder with no FOB.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-VOLK...xXFgAN&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-OEM...RX0dWX&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Keys