Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne E-Hybrid Battery Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2016 Cayenne E-Hybrid Battery Maintenance

Just took delivery of a new 2016 Cayenne E-Hybrid a couple of days ago and I've been trying to find in the manual any recommendations on how to keep the battery working at its peak performance without any luck.

Does anybody knows what Porsche recommends for this ? Does it need to be fully discharged before charging again ? Can I charge it even if I haven't used half of its capacity ?

I must say this is a very nice car but I'm a little bit disappointed on the battery range so far.

When I see what other car manufacturers like Tesla can do with their cars, I'm amazed that Porsche hasn't been able to come with something better. Maybe for the next generation.....
Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just use it as you need it. The battery is warrantied for 6 or 7 years. It won't let you run it complexly flat, and it will happily take part or full charges. It's charging itself all the time anyway when you "sail" or brake.

The battery is tiny compared to a Tesla, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd take a Porsche Hybrid over a Tesla any day of the week. The concept is better than all electric, and the handling and build quality, inside and out, of the Porsche is light years ahead of Tesla atm.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Just took delivery of a new 2016 Cayenne E-Hybrid a couple of days ago and I've been trying to find in the manual any recommendations on how to keep the battery working at its peak performance without any luck.

Does anybody knows what Porsche recommends for this ? Does it need to be fully discharged before charging again ? Can I charge it even if I haven't used half of its capacity ?

I must say this is a very nice car but I'm a little bit disappointed on the battery range so far.

When I see what other car manufacturers like Tesla can do with their cars, I'm amazed that Porsche hasn't been able to come with something better. Maybe for the next generation.....
Most of the Plug-in Hybrids have limited range - the gas engine takes up room that the Tesla and other "electric" cars use for battery capacity
Old 09-17-2016, 02:34 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Plus, you can't really use the Tesla (model S or X) for road trips because of the short range, so essentially you are dropping over $100K on a dedicated commuter car. In order to be useable for road trips, you really need at least 400mi of electric range at typical roadtrip highway cruising speeds (85mph), with the AC or heater on the whole time. Advertised range of teslas is based on driving at around speed limit; as soon as you drive faster or turn on the heater, range becomes unusable for a road trip. Having to stop for 30min+ (sometimes more than once) to get a decent amount of charge will make a long drive even longer.

The cayenne ehybrid is really two cars in 1. It's an EV for the many around-town errands (where gas is especially inefficient) and a long-haul performance capable SUV when you need it.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Been having really bad luck with this car. Autonomy of the electric charge has been an issue since day one. Autonomy is around 11 miles even if I'm driving really carefully and making sure I'm not draining the battery fast. I also had a faulty charger that needed to be replaced.

The dealer have asked me to take the car in a couple of times to review the issue but they haven't been able to fix it even that they've been exchanging info with the factory.

And now, the car has stopped operating completely on electrical mode (even if it's fully charged) and I can only use it with the gas engine.

I was really looking forward to owning this car after having some other Cayenne's, but this one has turned to be a complete disappointment and I'm already thinking on changing it even that is only four months old and with less than 2.000 miles on it.

Anybody with the same experience ?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:47 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Sounds odd based on my experience. Are you under warranty? I would insist that this was fixed if it was my car.

Also what temperatures are you driving in normally?

I get close to 20km on a single charge in the summer, and that is even with air-con on. Current mileage is around 20,000 km, and the car is approaching 18 months old.
Currently it's mid-winter where we live, and we hit sub zero temperatures most days. I get between 12km and 14km as an estimate of range on a full charge.

In my experience if it's -2 or below the car will bring the ICE in at startup, regardless of what setting you use. But fairly quickly fall back to battery once running if you stay in hybrid mode. I was surprised the other day when it decided to run on battery with heating, rear de-mister and most cold weather systems running in sub-zero temps. I did an 8km round trip and still had 6km showing as range. Even the cabin warmed up pretty quick, which surprised me.

Overall I am very impressed with how well mine power manages.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:50 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

My car is three (3) months old so Porsche is on top of it. Problem is that my local dealer doesn't have much experience with hybrids so they are taking a little big longer to find out what's going on. Is just a pain not to be able to drive your new car and have it several times send to the dealer were they take several days every time they get it.

The weather here goes between 70 and 85 during this time of the year, so cold weather is not an issue.

So in three (3) months, I've already had a faulty charger (in the process of being replaced), low electrical autonomy and now electrical mode not working at all.

Good to hear that you are enjoying yours. Me ? I'm missing my 2014 Cayenne S. That thing was reliable.....
Old 12-27-2016, 07:50 AM
thescratt
Instructor

The problems you describe sound to me like a bad battery. At this point I would expect a straight answer from the dealer, or a straight swap (battery or car!).
Does it give you warnings or just tell you that electric mode is not available in the normal (non error) dash board message?
Does the battery show any charge on the analog gauge or the digital ones? Any available range?

The least I would expect is a complete overhaul of the electrical side of the hybrid system (battery etc.) and a replacement of whatever needs replacing.

They obviously know more than me, and have obviously seen the car, and I presume can measure the battery's performance and current state, but I'd swap that battery out - based on the info I have so far.

On the flip side.. I think it's pretty cool that these cars can keep going if you run out of fuel, or in your case if the battery dies. Not "reliable" in the traditional sense.. but at least "robust". =)

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne E-Hybrid Battery Maintenance