Sponsored by:

Helph! Shifting issues 1 year after valve body replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helph! Shifting issues 1 year after valve body replacement

Ok, I have looked and haven't seen any similar posts so here goes.

I have an '04 TT with a bit over 150K miles. I got the valve body replaced last year (Revmax unit) due to a couple of violent downshifts I experienced before a cross country trip when the mileage was about 120K miles. Since then all was well until about a couple of months ago when we started getting some delayed (both up and down) and some rough shifting as well. Can't really correlate it to any one set of shifts though it seems to do it most often between 6-5 and 3-2. happens going both up and down but it is random in that one time it will be smooth but the next rough.

just had the fluid changed again and the valve body adjusted as well with no real difference.
we did not get the TCU replaced when we had the valve body changed and are contemplating this as a next step. Any ideas or thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

The worst case is the transmission is failing but trying to check thru the list first and remain hopeful.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a timely post as I am in the same boat. I had a new valve body and transmission rebuilt on my '04 S 50,000km ago and now I have similar issues. I did not get TCU replaced.

I have an absolutely massive upshift stutter from 2-3. As soon as it hits 3rd gear it is fine.

The weird thing is that if I flick to Tiptronic and shift manually, it is generally very good with no stutter. Just terrible in auto mode.

I'm also thinking it may be the TCU, as I can shift well manually. How does your car shift in manual?

I am looking for a DIY solution as the rebuild cost me $7,000 and I refuse to spend that kind of dough again!

Quick Reply: Helph! Shifting issues 1 year after valve body replacement