Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 V8 Cam Adjuster Bolt

Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2011 V8 Cam Adjuster Bolt

How common an issue has cam adjuster bolt failure been? I am seeing a few posts both here and on 6-speed that mention this issue but I don't know if it's 1 in 20,000 or 1 in 20 vehicles that this failure occurs on.

I know there was a service campaign to swap the bolts on some vehicles, but I don't know which VINs might have been repaired and it was determined which vehicles did or did not need the repair.

Lastly, I've heard of some vehicles being repaired out of the standard warranty as part of an emissions related repair. Again though, not sure how often this occurs and/or if it is limited to certain states.

Appreciate any insights or discussion.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Joel - this has been pretty much beaten to death over on 6-speed (http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...-camshaft.html) and somehow I doubt if any more info about the frequency of the problem is going to be forthcoming - since Porsche knows - but they're not telling.

When I've talked to service advisers - they seem to scratch their heads feigning complete ignorance of the problem. Other people claim shops are filled with vehicles suffering from the problem.

It apparently is common enough that Porsche redesigned the parts and came up with a workshop procedure to fix it. It's not common enough for NHTSA to have noticed it and called for a recall, even though there was a recall for it in other countries.

Know anyone in NHTSA? It would seem VW/Audi/Porsche probably would like to avoid another black-eye on one of their bread-and-butter luxury cars that provides the cash to cover producing the cars they really want to produce. But - whatta I know.. no more than you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 V8 Cam Adjuster Bolt