Cayenne S Turbo tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:15 PM
RoyC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne S Turbo tuning question

Hi guys.

I just traded my BMW 5-series 3.0 diesel in this Turbo S...gas guzzler :-). This is my first Porsche and its about time....

But i have hundreds of questions. I like to KNOW my car in and out, do all my own wrenching and mods to the extent its possible. One matter im interested in knowing more about it this cars capabilitys and limitations when it comes to tuning. I assume its all the same as other cars, you just load the tune to the car and do the physical mods according to the level of tuning...

But whats the limitation of the turbos?
When wold i need to upgrade the aircooling/cooling in general?
Whats the limits of the fuel system?
Whats the gearbox limit for "safe" tuning?

No im not going to go crazy tuning my car, i just want to know how far it culd be taken without toutching internals and gearbox. Originaly this 4.5l also came with a 550hk option? Whats the diffrence on that and my 450hp version?

I will most likely ask more about aftermarked stereo installs/retrofitting
Im likely going to ask what options did this car have and witch do my car have (its a US import)
More will come :-)

Until now i love my car....but its thirsty.... And i owned a SVT Lightning before this one. My 955 use 1.5l pr 10km now, witch is a bit exessive for the fine driving iv been doing :-)

Looking forward to learning more and hope some of you enjoy answering :-)
Old 06-26-2016, 08:04 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Back in 2008 P offered a mod kit for the Gen II (957) engine. The kit price was in the $20K ballpark. Check this link for the details. Included in the upgrade kit are brake and exhaust components.

http://www.photobykent.com/downloads...%20Upgrade.pdf

If you think its thirsty now this mod will not help with that one bit. lol
0 60 and top speed boost is hardly worth the expense.

Last edited by v10rick; 06-26-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyC
Hi guys.

I just traded my BMW 5-series 3.0 diesel in this Turbo S...gas guzzler :-). This is my first Porsche and its about time....

But i have hundreds of questions. I like to KNOW my car in and out, do all my own wrenching and mods to the extent its possible. One matter im interested in knowing more about it this cars capabilitys and limitations when it comes to tuning. I assume its all the same as other cars, you just load the tune to the car and do the physical mods according to the level of tuning...

But whats the limitation of the turbos?
When wold i need to upgrade the aircooling/cooling in general?
Whats the limits of the fuel system?
Whats the gearbox limit for "safe" tuning?

No im not going to go crazy tuning my car, i just want to know how far it culd be taken without toutching internals and gearbox. Originaly this 4.5l also came with a 550hk option? Whats the diffrence on that and my 450hp version?

I will most likely ask more about aftermarked stereo installs/retrofitting
Im likely going to ask what options did this car have and witch do my car have (its a US import)
More will come :-)

Until now i love my car....but its thirsty.... And i owned a SVT Lightning before this one. My 955 use 1.5l pr 10km now, witch is a bit exessive for the fine driving iv been doing :-)

Looking forward to learning more and hope some of you enjoy answering :-)
Turbos will be the limiting factor for tuning. They'll likely be reliable, but they'll run out of flow before you need internals or a tranny. The reality is, a Turbo S is pretty much as good as you'll get on power without dropping some serious cash. Even then, unless you're doing a full motor-out turbo upgrade, you just won't notice the power improvements like you would in a car. This is a heavy vehicle.

As such, it's no different than any other german FI car. Chip, downpipes, intercoolers, meth. That will set you back over $5k, and you might gain an extra 100 HP. That seems like a lot, but you won't feel much of it.

With the age of your CTT, your best bet, by a long shot, is to save your money for repairs and preventative maintenance. The motor is strong, as is the tranny, but the weight makes it prohibitive to dropping serious coin on mods. I'm just speculating on your budget as I would guess a complete mods package + expected repairs in the next few years + purchase price of your CTTS, and I would guess you're dang close to a 2011 Turbo, which is going to be much faster than a heavily modded 955 CTTS. I'd get the Cayenne base-lined with maintenance, do some searching on typical repairs and mileages for failed parts (this questions is asked weekly, so just click through some of the posts in the last few pages), and enjoy the car for awhile as-is. I assure, you're going to see money leaving your pocket in heaps soon enough If you're not satisfied after 6 months of ownership, and you have $5-10K to burn, we'll be happy to throw some ideas your way.

This is an active forum, and given that this car is 12 years old, the bulk of your questions have likely been asked and answered. Google is your friend here.

You have a build sticker in the trunk, under the floor just forward and left of the spare tire. Enter all that into an options decoder and that will tell you the build specs. Again - google is your friend for this.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

My opinion is that anything past about 500chp your just pushing a bunch of hot air into and building a lot of exhaust manifold backpressure on an engine that is really expensive and logisticly difficult to fix.

You need to address ait's, a high flow exhaust, a properly plumbed catch can/aos, diverted valves and a tune that takes advantage of all this will get you where you want to be the quickest and cheapest .
Old 06-26-2016, 10:09 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Not sure how diverter valves fit into this equation. The stock valves are good to at least 26 psi. I don't know of any OTS tune that runs anywhere close to this boost level. Stock boost is 10-11 PSI, and an aggressive chip-tune is about 17.5 psi.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

How about instead of adding power, remove weight? Seems like Porsche set the blueprint here.

Speaking of which, has anybody done a reasonable study of potential weight loss programs to put these pigs on?
Old 06-27-2016, 08:45 AM
RoyC
AutoX

Thanks for all the replys. Its clear to me that Porsche Cayenne owners most likely are a bit older then the BMW group... but i guess im getting older to :-)

Now tuning the car 100hp extra shuld not make it more thirsty on normal driving. In fact all tuning companys say you will get 10-20% less consumption then stock. Not so shure about 20% but maby 5%...

I messure the consumption yesterday to 1.58l pr 10km. This was mixed driving over 480km... one tank.

Turbos is maxed at 500hp? So the 4.5 v8 turbo versions running 550hp has diffrent turbos? I wold assume bigger IC but nothing big like turbos?

Making it lighter is a great idea as loosing weight is a great way to make anything go faster. Us included :-).
Lightweight rims is a start. Dont know how the original rims are but on my svt lightning the rims was made light... aftermarked rims usualy are heavy.

What is the most common fault on these 955 turbos? Beside the common things like breaks and tires?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:28 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

What is the most common fault on these 955 turbos? Beside the common things like breaks and tires?
LOl - sorry, man. I know you're new here, but you need to spend some time clicking through the pages on on this forum. The list of common issues is extensive. You're not going to get a 500+ HP SUV that can tow 7700 lbs, go off road, and handle at the track be reliable or cheap to own.

You're also not going to shave any meaningful weight from it. If you bought a 955 CTTS to mod it and make it faster, you bought the wrong car. Or, you must have a ton of spare cash you're willing to part ways with.

You already have bigger IC's due to being a Turbo S. You'll notice there aren't really after market IC's made for the Turbo or Turbo S because there just isn't a market for them. As in - most owners aren't concerned about modding. This isn't because we're old and drive slow. The ROI on dumping 5-7K into a heavy SUV just isn't there. The 911 Turbo, on the other hand, has tons of IC options because there is a market for it.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

It would be more economical to switch to a 2011+ Cayenne. Starting 2011 the weight is close to the SVT Lightening you mention.

"Until now i love my car"...you are in the honeymoon phase. In 2 years the maintenance costs could easily exceed the purchase price, causing you to seek a divorce. Spare $$ should be saved for a self insurance fund. The Gen I Cayenne does not compare with Ford truck reliability/maintenance costs.

The turbo engine is plagued with the same issues as the NA version. Maybe fewer cylinder scoring problems but that is not a guarantee.

Diagnosing electrical faults is often a nightmare. More searching will provide details.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM
RoyC
AutoX

So your basicaly saying the car is crap? Iv been doing alot of research online and found some issues but all in all what i findis that the car is solid with great engine and tranny...

Time will tell. I rearly dont have my cars that long so im shure this wount be any diffrent. All services done and it seem to be in good condition.

These cars are expensive in Norway. 2011 turbo is way off my budget...
Old 06-27-2016, 10:25 AM
RoyC
AutoX

So your basicaly saying the car is crap? Iv been doing alot of research online and found some issues but all in all what i findis that the car is solid with great engine and tranny...

Time will tell. I rearly dont have my cars that long so im shure this wount be any diffrent. All services done and it seem to be in good condition.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

No, the car is great. But it's a 6 figure Porsche, maintenance is expensive. Modding it isn't worth your $$, leave it alone.

If you feel the need to go faster buy a sports car with the money you'd spend modding the Cayenne, which will be a significant amount.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Not crap but German.

You own a Cayenne that originally cost 90K+ USD. Yes today the cost is much less but the parts to maintain are still expensive. Some common parts can be sourced through VW at a lower cost but many parts are exclusive P parts.

A typical fault with Gen I engine are plastic coolant tube failures. If the metal tubes are not there make it a priority to replace. With the turbo the coolant T as well. Parts alone are about $500 USD and only available through P.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:28 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a link to a fellow Rennlister's thread documenting all the mods he made in his attempt to get 680hp out of his 955 Turbo S.
Here's an article describing the upgrades a 2006 Turbo S Cayenne has over a regular Turbo Cayenne.

Last edited by CTTS520; 06-27-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-27-2016, 01:54 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm still curious about potential for weight loss as that will help mileage as well (vs. Mods which will do the opposite). Maybe I'm just in the 964 mindset - plenty of people have successfully pulled weight out their cars - but with a 5K lb vehicle, there has to be stuff that can be safely removed without compromising the utility.

Maybe when I actually get mine, I'll be able to take a good look and see.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Turbo tuning question