Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Turbo tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:47 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

https://friedrich-motorsport.de
Here you can buy downpipes (w/ race cats or w/o), secondary cats or bypasses. If you have a couple of LPG gas stations in your vicinity and you drive mostly around town, go get it installed, you'll still save a ton of money. Driving on freeways gets you better mileage and you can switch back and forth between gas & LPG anytime.

As for the navi unit, personally I'd just use a phone with google maps if you're looking to save a buck.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

A couple thoughts:

First off, it's your car. Do with it what you want.

Second, you are going to have a bit of a struggle to find any good suggestions, mod kits, or even valid data. There really aren't a whole lot of 955s out there. 4 years of production, something over 100k world wide. And many (most?) of them were purchased as a "sensible" car by people who had a "sporty" car already. Often it was "her" car. So little demand for any mods.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you come up with.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:26 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney

Most people replace the stock diverter valves because they are plastic and they have a wimpy little diaphram. Im sure its more of a reliability/preventative/ up to the task issue. The stock diverter valves leave some to be desired and they aren't even the 710n Bosch, but I'm sure you knew all this.
They are indeed plastic, and yet I have never seen the plastic section fail. The DV's job is to diverte charge air - not exactly challenging conditions. The diaphragm is also lighter, simpler, and reacts faster than a piston-style valve. Since you're trying to prevent a turbo stall when you're chopping the the throttle, reaction time is king. Because the piston-style valves need lube, that lube can attract debris, it gets dirty, and then it'll leak requiring you to pull the valve and re-lube it.

We're now up to the 710P version made by kayser. It's the same valve that the 996/997/GT2 owners are using, even with tuned cars. AFAIK - Porsche only uses one diverter valve.

The only generation of the 710 valves that sucked were the 710A's. They were obviously superseded long ago.

If you want to add a diverter valve rebuild every 2-3 years, or whenever they stick - here is the rebuild instructions from Forge. Their kit is $34 to rebuild 2 valves. This is, obviously, after you've gone through the effort of pulling them off the car. The 710's just work until they don't (which for most people is 10+ years). I have 140K miles on my original DV's. I used piston-style valves on other cars, but hated troubleshooting stuck or leaking valves.

Here is a good DIY for getting at the DV's.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...6-turbo-s.html

Forge DV = $167/piece
Champion DV's - $185/piece
Fabspeed/EVOM = $295/piece
Kayser 710P = $46/piece
(you need 2 DV's for those just getting started on this)

If you want to spend big dollars for DV's that require you to pull and rebuild them every so often, just to get the exact same performance as the 710P - then by all means - don't let me stand in your way.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
valve_service.pdf (108.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 04:35 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RoyC

Now consuption is clearly an issue as these cars are thirsty, and shuld be. Normaly tunes in regular cars are a "base" tune that works in most enviroments... There are some adjustments that usualy gives more power and less consuption (when u dont use the power). Now if you want to MAX the power things gets diffrent. I never said "This is what ill do!", but "this is what i wonder". If anything i gain knowledge of my car. Being a car guy this to me is interesting and i always learn what i can about what car i have. Mostly its been BMWs with me.... But now its Porsche Cayenne...onlye because i wanted space, hight and power...

I apresiate all your comments even though some take the daddy role, witch im shure most feel is unessesary.
You're talking about open vs closed loop for fuel management. When the car is at WOT, it's running in open loop. This means it ignores the O2 sensors as a PID control, and simply takes the MAF readings to calculate the AFR and timing.

But - I'll let Mr Haney help you with this as I'm not looking to be your daddy. I'll refrain from assisting with your future posts, as well.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 AM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Mr. Haney - someone hasn't been laid in far too long... pull the large stick out of your a**... errr maybe that's not a stick
Old 07-05-2016, 02:35 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
@ Mr. Haney - someone hasn't been laid in far too long... pull the large stick out of your a**... errr maybe that's not a stick
That's way off topic but I'm not suprised. My sex life and orientation as well as what if anything I choose to put in my *** is no business of yours and the fact that that's the best thing you could come up with speaks volumes.

Last edited by J'sWorld; 07-05-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: just cuz.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:41 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
You're talking about open vs closed loop for fuel management. When the car is at WOT, it's running in open loop. This means it ignores the O2 sensors as a PID control, and simply takes the MAF readings to calculate the AFR and timing.

But - I'll let Mr Haney help you with this as I'm not looking to be your daddy. I'll refrain from assisting with your future posts, as well.
That's not proper information. Ultimately the map sensor is used for wot, open loop. If the ecu ignored the o2 sensors @ wot then how would a lean condition be observed?

Last edited by J'sWorld; 07-05-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: adds
Old 07-05-2016, 03:55 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

You're original response to BlackTurboS was a bit less eloquently put before the edit. Pretending you're above that is bit disingenuous.

You're right. Forgot the CTT uses a wide-band O2 for lambda control. Your previous edit talked about MAF-less tunes and MAP sensors, which isn't really applicable here. I'm guessing that's why you removed it. But, knowing the general premise behind closed vs open loop would be pertinent if the OP wants to know how to conserve fuel.

I'm out of this thread.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
You're original response to BlackTurboS was a bit less eloquently put before the edit. Pretending you're above that is bit disingenuous.

You're right. Forgot the CTT uses a wide-band O2 for lambda control. Your previous edit talked about MAF-less tunes and MAP sensors, which isn't really applicable here. I'm guessing that's why you removed it. But, knowing the general premise behind closed vs open loop would be pertinent if the OP wants to know how to conserve fuel.

I'm out of this thread.
Well, I'm not sorry if my "matter of fact" responses fell like a call out because that's what it was. How's that for genuine?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 AM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe go to the 944 Turbo section to ask tuning questions. We seem to have covered most all of this stuff about 15 years ago. Its rather amusing to see it being rehashed over here.

I definitely understand where Mr. Haney is coming from.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
That's way off topic but I'm not suprised. My sex life and orientation as well as what if anything I choose to put in my *** is no business of yours and the fact that that's the best thing you could come up with speaks volumes.
Yes that is the best I could come up with in response to a tough guy on the internet.... I actually lost sleep last night wondering what your opinion of me was...

I'm out on this thread too...
Old 07-06-2016, 02:04 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
Yes that is the best I could come up with in response to a tough guy on the internet.... I actually lost sleep last night wondering what your opinion of me was...

I'm out on this thread too...
Well, hopefully your engine blows and you don't lose too much more sleep.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Back to the regularly scheduled programming (although if you guys want to sidebar about ****, I'm happy to start a thread where you can go there to your hearts content).

Anyone have/or have opinions on this:

http://www.evoms.com/Cayenne_TT_TTS_...ntkvf955tt.htm

I'm very skeptical about cold-air intakes and think they are more or less a total waste of time/money, but figured I'd ask as EVOMS seems legit as per Lupo.sk (unless it's a different outfit).
Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

That's a whole lotta money for a coupla filters and minimal gains. Plus if it's not CARB certified you'd have to pull it out and go back to your factory airboxes for emissions testing in Cali...
Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That's a whole lotta money for a coupla filters and minimal gains. Plus if it's not CARB certified you'd have to pull it out and go back to your factory airboxes for emissions testing in Cali...

Performance Data:
0-60mph* - Stock 6.4 seconds - V-Flow 6.2 seconds
0-100mph* - Stock 15.2 seconds - V-Flow 14.9 seconds
60-80mph* - Stock 3.8 seconds - V-Flow 3.7 seconds

I think they're using the Cayenne v-6 as a base, but according to them they ran it 5 times took the highest and lowest numbers and tossed them and averaged the other 3. That seems like real number improvement (and suddenly $700 seems cheap!)

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Turbo tuning question