Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Turbo tuning question

Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 AM
RoyC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
You're forgetting this is a 5500 lb SUV. If you figure you can bump the power to weight ratio of a typical AWD turbo car from Audi by about 20% with just a chip, that means you would need to get to about 620 HP on a Turbo S to increase the power/weight ratio by a proportional amount. You're only going to get to about 560-570 on a Turbo S with a tune.
Im not forgetting that at all. I know the power increase wount make it a rocketship. But it will give it t some extra power.... and it will effect the cars performance, althoug not that mutch.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

I still think you're missing the point here. What we're all trying to tell you is you're going to be spending thousands (in USD) for minimal results.

That money is better spent getting and keeping the truck in tip top shape. Or just using that money to get a second car, a sports car that you can play with as you seem pretty set on doing that.

Enjoy the truck for what it is. A truck. A very nice, fast, luxurious truck that can tow 7700lbs, but a truck at the end of the day.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:24 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

If you're in europe, get an LPG system installed, that will cut your fuel costs in half. A good one will come to about 3k EUR. The car will still get a horrible gas mileage but the actual fuel will be cheap.
Then you can mess with the rest but just as has been said, you will be spending serious money to get some results. Check my thread on modding a 955 TTS. it's been more than 3 years since I started my pursue of more power and it's still not done to my satisfaction.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:53 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm pretty sure nobody is forgetting that it's a heavy SUV. Actually for once, the OP's original post was pretty clear and easy to understand. The guy asked how to make it faster and what can be done but all I see is assumptions that he wants to make it something it isn't and that his dollar has the same worth as everyone else's. Maybe he has different priorities?

Roy, the 955 HAS a couple of sweet spots. Right around 520 on the factory turbos, and right around 700?(presumptively) on the stock block and upgraded turbos. You have ihi rfh5 turbos that are rated @ about 210 up each. You can upgrade to larger ihi compressor wheel for a nice mismatched turbo or you can go with the k based variants that FVD offers which is probably your best bet. There are no manifold options available other than factory stock which is why the turbo options are so limited.

Best Hp per dollar is going to be a water/meth inj and a tune for it and deleting the secondary cats.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a difference between someone coming here wth an unlimited budget and a specific goal, and someone that may not have a good grasp of modding something like a CTT. The OP was asking about mods and throwing out numbers like 20% fuel economy change, reducing weight, and wondering if tuning it will make it more efficient, on top of getting more power. So, right off the bat I'm thinking he probably doesn't have a good handle on costs, capabilities, results, and the fact you can't take a modding approach to a well-supported car and apply it to something like the CTT. It's been mentioned multiple times now that he can do downpipes, W/M, tunes, etc.

If he has the cash to lay out, has specific goals, and a way to measure results, there are tons of HP-freaks in here (look at Docwyte's car) that can provide mountains of assistance in that regard.

My first reply told him what he can do. I can't spoon-feed him this stuff, though. There is a reason I haven't seen a dyno post or a logs post from a CTT owner in........ years I think. There is very little aftermarket support for the CTT for the simple reason that the real world gains are quite small compared to the dollar amount spent. That seems to be lost on a lot of new CTT owners. Add 50 HP to a Cayman for 1200 bucks - hell yes. Add 50 HP to a CTT for that price - no thanks.

You got 5-15K to lay out? Start a thread, and we'll happily start spending your money. Just don't assume it's going to come cheap and easy. This isn't an A4 or STi that's extremely well supported. When I see posts like this that don't talk about the financial outlay, I just assume they're daydreaming but when the reality comes to pull the trigger on parts, it doesn't happen.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Last time I checked a tune for my '06 CTTS was $2500. Than a set of HHR secondary cat bypass pipes are $500. So for $3000 you do make some gains, just don't think the gains justify the costs.

To really make a dent in the HP quotient you have to get the EvoMS package, which is what, $15k? Then labor to pull the motor, might as well replace the motor mounts too, plus address any other maintenance items that are easy to do with the motor out, so well over $20k. On a car that's worth about the same...

Or you can buy a Boxster S or E36 M3 (WooHoo!) for under $10k. Or a C5 Z06 Corvette or E46 M3 for about $15k. Or a 996 for under $20k.

See where I'm going with this?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Glider
Instructor

I am considering a CTT with the intention of modding. I am considering a tune 1200.00, secondary cat delete 350.00 and diverter valves 200.00. Thats as far as I plan to go.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:12 PM
RoyC
AutoX

Its funny to see how some guys here keep repeating themselves and complaining about this and that. Claiming I dont know anything :-).

Im not even going to tell you where you get me mixed up with others trying to add some ideas ore info to the original topic.

I did NOT ask for financial advise but simply info on the cars limits and posabilitys. And I DONT live in Germany ore US where these go for 20.000$. So that said lets from now on just keep to the topic and not demand someones income statement :-). I wanted the info to learn about the CAR!

And yes from my experianse when you ''chip'' a turbo car you can get better consumption. Especialy Turbo Diesels, but also gas cars. The 20% I mention is not my claim but a reputable tuning companys claim... do I belive it? Not at all, but 5% wold be welcomed as im driving alot.

The only thing being said by the ''experts on economy'' is that you wount almost feel a 100hp increse due to its weight... true. But going from 5.2sec to 4.9sec 0-62mph for some, is worth whatever they feel its worth!

Thanks to all that are not repeating themselves playing ''DAD'' to the rest of us :-). To ''DAD'', I apresiate your comments to, but once is usualy enough ;-)

Forgot to add thay yes im new to Porscha but not to cars ore fast cars. So I still have lots to learn. I do apresiate all the good info inbetween the economy advice... but hey, we are all diffrent :-)
Old 07-01-2016, 05:32 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

It would be nice if lightweight doors, fenders and hood were available, but that is dreaming. I guess the market would not support the investment.

Same way with engine components...limited market translates to higher cost.

Good luck with your pursuit of better performance and please share your results with the forum.

If I am repeating myself, sorry, it is a symptom of old age. LOL
Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with WrinkledPants and Lupo.sk on this thread. I have an 09 CTTS and my advise aligns with what others are saying - spend your money on maintenance, upkeep, and some affordable mods like the downpips, bypass, intake, exhaust, and tune the ECU. The Cayenne Turbo S was built specifically for what it does, haul *** while weighing a lot. In my opinion, the Cayenne Turbo S has been "tuned" by Porsche to its optimum performance. Yes, there are some limitations off the shelf like the secondary cat bypass. As mentioned, dumping money into the Turbo S won't get you tons of performance increases. Lupo.sk is the exception in this case as he has a 3 year effort to build a highly custom out of this world performance CTTS.

Maybe its because I have an 09 CTTS, but I spent my money on new brakes and re-did tons of engine components so that I know it is good for years to come.

You're calling the CTTS a gas guzzler in Norway??!? Aren't you producing 50+ million barrels a day again? All I know is the NOK needs to keep making a comeback on the FOREX after the Brexit vote so I can cash in.

Good luck with your Cayenne and welcome to the forum. Don't take offense to the people on here, they yelled at me before for many reasons. Everyone has a different take, mod it, don't mod it, maintain it, etc. Just do what you feel is right and search this forum - there is a TON of information on Rennlist for your specific Cayenne. More than you can dream of... This site rocks.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyC
Hi guys.

One matter im interested in knowing more about it this cars capabilitys and limitations when it comes to tuning. I assume its all the same as other cars, you just load the tune to the car and do the physical mods according to the level of tuning...

1. But whats the limitation of the turbos?
2. When wold i need to upgrade the aircooling/cooling in general?
3. Whats the limits of the fuel system?
4. Whats the gearbox limit for "safe" tuning?

No im not going to go crazy tuning my car, i just want to know how far it culd be taken without toutching internals and gearbox. Originaly this 4.5l also came with a 550hk option?

5. Whats the diffrence on that and my 450hp version?

Until now i love my car....but its thirsty.... And i owned a SVT Lightning before this one. My 955 use 1.5l pr 10km now, witch is a bit exessive for the fine driving ive been doing.
I see 5 specific questions that have 5 rather specific answers.
I do not see anything about wanting or NEEDING better fuel economy.

Turbos will be the limiting factor for tuning. They'll likely be reliable, but they'll run out of flow before you need internals or a tranny. The reality is, a Turbo S is pretty much as good as you'll get on power without dropping some serious cash. Even then, unless you're doing a full motor-out turbo upgrade, you just won't notice the power improvements like you would in a car. This is a heavy vehicle.

As such, it's no different than any other german FI car. Chip, downpipes, intercoolers, meth. That will set you back over $5k, and you might gain an extra 100 HP. That seems like a lot, but you won't feel much of it.

With the age of your CTT, your best bet, by a long shot, is to save your money for repairs and preventative maintenance. The motor is strong, as is the tranny, but the weight makes it prohibitive to dropping serious coin on mods. I'm just speculating on your budget as I would guess a complete mods package + expected repairs in the next few years + purchase price of your CTTS, and I would guess you're dang close to a 2011 Turbo, which is going to be much faster than a heavily modded 955 CTTS. I'd get the Cayenne base-lined with maintenance, do some searching on typical repairs and mileages for failed parts (this questions is asked weekly, so just click through some of the posts in the last few pages), and enjoy the car for awhile as-is. I assure, you're going to see money leaving your pocket in heaps soon enough If you're not satisfied after 6 months of ownership, and you have $5-10K to burn, we'll be happy to throw some ideas your way.

This is an active forum, and given that this car is 12 years old, the bulk of your questions have likely been asked and answered. Google is your friend here.

You have a build sticker in the trunk, under the floor just forward and left of the spare tire. Enter all that into an options decoder and that will tell you the build specs. Again - google is your friend for this.
Roy didn't ask you what his "best bet" was.
Mods might set YOU back 5k but they aren't going to cost that to someone who has a clue.
Why is a 2011 turbo faster? Same weight, same power, 50hp doesn't make a difference right?
So, in 6 mo. IF Roy shows proof of income, then you will be happy to help with his specific questions?
What are you? The gatekeeper?
Google really is your freind!

Not sure how diverter valves fit into this equation. The stock valves are good to at least 26 psi. I don't know of any OTS tune that runs anywhere close to this boost level. Stock boost is 10-11 PSI, and an aggressive chip-tune is about 17.5 psi.
Most people replace the stock diverter valves because they are plastic and they have a wimpy little diaphram. Im sure its more of a reliability/preventative/ up to the task issue. The stock diverter valves leave some to be desired and they aren't even the 710n Bosch, but I'm sure you knew all this.

Originally Posted by dhc905
How about instead of adding power, remove weight? Seems like Porsche set the blueprint here.

Speaking of which, has anybody done a reasonable study of potential weight loss programs to put these pigs on?
A fiberglass hood and interior appointments are the only way to shave weight and that not something that people who actually want to enjoy the vehicle are going to accept. So, the answer IS, that there is NO reasonable weight savings on the CTT unless your gutting it.

Originally Posted by v10rick
It would be more economical to switch to a 2011+ Cayenne. Starting 2011 the weight is close to the SVT Lightening you mention.

"Until now i love my car"...you are in the honeymoon phase. In 2 years the maintenance costs could easily exceed the purchase price, causing you to seek a divorce. Spare $$ should be saved for a self insurance fund. The Gen I Cayenne does not compare with Ford truck reliability/maintenance costs.

The turbo engine is plagued with the same issues as the NA version. Maybe fewer cylinder scoring problems but that is not a guarantee.

Diagnosing electrical faults is often a nightmare. More searching will provide details.
Originally Posted by docwyte
No, the car is great. But it's a 6 figure Porsche, maintenance is expensive. Modding it isn't worth your $$, leave it alone.

If you feel the need to go faster buy a sports car with the money you'd spend modding the Cayenne, which will be a significant amount.
Is it more economical to switch to a newer model? Maybe Roy doesn't like the look? The depreciation on these is astronomical. I find it hard to see where Roy can spend more money on mods and put years of smiles on his face than he will take on depreciation.
Maybe maintainence is expensive for you but nobody ever asked Roy about his mechanical abilities.

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
TLDR ;-)

Easy: buy an EVOMS 700hp kit for CTTS. $15k to buy, 2k to install. Be happy.

Harder: DIY the kit and find out it will cost you $10k, 2 years of labor and find out it's a neverending story. Ask me how I know.

Impossible: shave weight from a 955. Doable, yes - ditch interior, all the dampening material, dashboard, seats and every comfort thingie in the car. Put in 2 recaros and a Motec dashboard... You get the idea.

If you're looking for fuel economy, ditch the car. I'm averaging 30l/100km (7.8mpg) with larger turbos and injectors.
With all due respect, your adventure and results are not anything to gauge against or set the bar to. After countless engine pulls and tunes you still don't have anything to bark about. Now your talking about replacing turbo's again because you or your mechanic don't know how to setup wastegates and tune. You should have known that that turbo was going to be a spool monster and you were going to blowing the gates open overpowering the spring. Even with a 4 port solenoid and dual port actuators your never going to get more boost than double your spring rate. You should have also known that the internal gates were probably not going to be big enough to prevent boost creep. You also should have known that a 4 port boost solenoid and dual ports actuators such as the Turbosmart units would be needed for proper boost control. AS far as I'm concerned the engine/tuning portion of your build should not be referred to as "Succesfull", "The Bar", or "680hp".

This is a luxury SUV. If you're trying to make it into a sports car, just stop and buy a sports car.
Nobody needs your blessing to do something with the Cayenne that you don't agree with. Why don't you "stop" being a downer party crasher?

I'm sure Roy would buy a sports car if that's what he wanted. Maybe he wants a FASTER luxury SUV. Do we need your blessing for that?

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
He's got a point.

These p!gs already rock at what they are, and the turbo S version is remarkably reliable for how much performance they've squeezed out of it. You can spend $20k on 'mods' on the cayenne and still not have a sports car, all while making it worth less than if it were left alone.
Could they be worth any less? Really? Mine was 130k new and now its worth 15k 11 yrs later.

Originally Posted by v10rick

The fun part of this forum is sharing experiences/ideas and learning from one another.

This forum can save you big bucks by avoiding pitfalls that may work with model or brand X.

The 4.5L Cayenne can be terribly expensive to maintain, as is, without any mods.

Burning up (wasting) mod money that could be better invested in a later model is something to avoid.
Luxury cars AREN'T INVESTMENTS. Most cars arent. A later model will still suffer the depreciation. The difference is that one could throw their money at mods or depreciation. Its not even a wash.

I'm all for mods but reading about fuel economy and at the same time about bumping up power on a V8 twin turbo in a 2700kg vehicle kinda doesn't seem like a good mix so I just gave the short version.
The number of my engine pulls is higher than number of oil changes a lot of people do while they own the p!g and at least one other is coming when I get new turbos.
it's just like any other FI car and same principles apply. My mod post is quite extensive with all ups & downs, describing what I used etc. I would do it again just for the fun of it but I just might take a little easier way this time (EVOMS kit) plus throw in some of my own parts.
Why do you need new turbos? Its not the turbos fault. If you think that your going to get a ihi or td04 hybrid that won't have the same issue's you wrong. It's the tuning not the turbos.

You're forgetting this is a 5500 lb SUV. If you figure you can bump the power to weight ratio of a typical AWD turbo car from Audi by about 20% with just a chip, that means you would need to get to about 620 HP on a Turbo S to increase the power/weight ratio by a proportional amount. You're only going to get to about 560-570 on a Turbo S with a tune.
No, nobody forgot.

I still think you're missing the point here. What we're all trying to tell you is you're going to be spending thousands (in USD) for minimal results.

That money is better spent getting and keeping the truck in tip top shape. Or just using that money to get a second car, a sports car that you can play with as you seem pretty set on doing that.

Enjoy the truck for what it is. A truck. A very nice, fast, luxurious truck that can tow 7700lbs, but a truck at the end of the day.
No, I think you are missing the point. The point that Roy has specific questions and didn't ask for your opinion.

If you're in europe, get an LPG system installed, that will cut your fuel costs in half. A good one will come to about 3k EUR. The car will still get a horrible gas mileage but the actual fuel will be cheap.
Then you can mess with the rest but just as has been said, you will be spending serious money to get some results. Check my thread on modding a 955 TTS. it's been more than 3 years since I started my pursue of more power and it's still not done to my satisfaction.
So if he gets lpg he can "mess with the rest of us?"
Sorry Roy, your going to have to add/convert to lpg before we can talk to you.

There is a difference between someone coming here wth an unlimited budget and a specific goal, and someone that may not have a good grasp of modding something like a CTT. The OP was asking about mods and throwing out numbers like 20% fuel economy change, reducing weight, and wondering if tuning it will make it more efficient, on top of getting more power. So, right off the bat I'm thinking he probably doesn't have a good handle on costs, capabilities, results, and the fact you can't take a modding approach to a well-supported car and apply it to something like the CTT. It's been mentioned multiple times now that he can do downpipes, W/M, tunes, etc.

If he has the cash to lay out, has specific goals, and a way to measure results, there are tons of HP-freaks in here (look at Docwyte's car) that can provide mountains of assistance in that regard.

My first reply told him what he can do. I can't spoon-feed him this stuff, though. There is a reason I haven't seen a dyno post or a logs post from a CTT owner in........ years I think. There is very little aftermarket support for the CTT for the simple reason that the real world gains are quite small compared to the dollar amount spent. That seems to be lost on a lot of new CTT owners. Add 50 HP to a Cayman for 1200 bucks - hell yes. Add 50 HP to a CTT for that price - no thanks.

You got 5-15K to lay out? Start a thread, and we'll happily start spending your money. Just don't assume it's going to come cheap and easy. This isn't an A4 or STi that's extremely well supported. When I see posts like this that don't talk about the financial outlay, I just assume they're daydreaming but when the reality comes to pull the trigger on parts, it doesn't happen.
So you have surmised what he has a grasp of from 1 decently though out first post? You choose to spoon feed......alot.
If you choose to spend your money wisely the gains of hp per dollar can be huge. It IS a ttv8 after all.

Last time I checked a tune for my '06 CTTS was $2500. Than a set of HHR secondary cat bypass pipes are $500. So for $3000 you do make some gains, just don't think the gains justify the costs.

To really make a dent in the HP quotient you have to get the EvoMS package, which is what, $15k? Then labor to pull the motor, might as well replace the motor mounts too, plus address any other maintenance items that are easy to do with the motor out, so well over $20k. On a car that's worth about the same...

Or you can buy a Boxster S or E36 M3 (WooHoo!) for under $10k. Or a C5 Z06 Corvette or E46 M3 for about $15k. Or a 996 for under $20k.

See where I'm going with this?
Last time I checked you got ripped off for paying 2500 for a tune and 500 for sec. bypass pipes. Maybe he wants the CAYENNE! Why is that so hard to accept?

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
I agree with WrinkledPants and Lupo.sk on this thread. I have an 09 CTTS and my advise aligns with what others are saying - spend your money on maintenance, upkeep, and some affordable mods like the downpips, bypass, intake, exhaust, and tune the ECU. The Cayenne Turbo S was built specifically for what it does, haul *** while weighing a lot. In my opinion, the Cayenne Turbo S has been "tuned" by Porsche to its optimum performance. Yes, there are some limitations off the shelf like the secondary cat bypass. As mentioned, dumping money into the Turbo S won't get you tons of performance increases. Lupo.sk is the exception in this case as he has a 3 year effort to build a highly custom out of this world performance CTTS.

Maybe its because I have an 09 CTTS, but I spent my money on new brakes and re-did tons of engine components so that I know it is good for years to come.

You're calling the CTTS a gas guzzler in Norway??!? Aren't you producing 50+ million barrels a day again? All I know is the NOK needs to keep making a comeback on the FOREX after the Brexit vote so I can cash in.

Good luck with your Cayenne and welcome to the forum. Don't take offense to the people on here, they yelled at me before for many reasons. Everyone has a different take, mod it, don't mod it, maintain it, etc. Just do what you feel is right and search this forum - there is a TON of information on Rennlist for your specific Cayenne. More than you can dream of... This site rocks.

There is only a couple of people on here who care who you agree with. Period. You have added nothing meaningfull.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:50 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

No horse in this race, but where is the mike-drop emoji?

Also from what I understand 2011+ are about 500lbs lighter, which was why I brought up my original question about performance improvements from lighter weight as it seems the factory took that approach vs. Lupos approach of making the engine slightly more beastly.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Mr. Haney, all of his questions are pretty much answered in my thread, including injectors, turbos, cooling etc.
I'm not successful and I know it, the car's my DD and a toy. With very limited time I have to spare doing the actual tuning, it takes extra time and I have no problem admitting it's not been successful so far. I don't care about being a benchmark, successful or anything - I'm having fun in the process.

My problem is not tuning, it's what our local guys did when they changed the WGs (scrollproducts left them stock) - I'm going to get exactly the same setup (ihi hybrid w/ larger compressor) just with a different WG. I know I'll never achieve anything more than double the spring rate. I do have an electonic boost controller and I even tried two manual ones. This is not my first, second or third car I'm throwing money at to bump power.

What got me a little worried about the whole thread was tuning and fuel economy. Hence my reaction. Talking about hitting the limit of transmission and cooling system in the same sentence as cutting fuel consumption kinda doesn't make sense no matter how I think about it. As he's in Europe, an LPG system will effectively cut his fuel cost in half (remember we pay about $6.80 per gallon) but he's not gonna cut the actual consumption, just the amount of money he's going to spend on fuel. I'm running an LPG system and can only recommend it.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:47 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Mr. Haney, who pissed in your Wheaties? We're trying to give the OP our advice. If you don't like it, no need to respond.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:23 PM
RoyC
AutoX

Hi guys.. At least this is good entertainment. We all have our big heads in the way of just talk car and care less why someone want what they want...

Now consuption is clearly an issue as these cars are thirsty, and shuld be. Normaly tunes in regular cars are a "base" tune that works in most enviroments... There are some adjustments that usualy gives more power and less consuption (when u dont use the power). Now if you want to MAX the power things gets diffrent. I never said "This is what ill do!", but "this is what i wonder". If anything i gain knowledge of my car. Being a car guy this to me is interesting and i always learn what i can about what car i have. Mostly its been BMWs with me.... But now its Porsche Cayenne...onlye because i wanted space, hight and power...

I apresiate all your comments even though some take the daddy role, witch im shure most feel is unessesary. LPG might be interesting, but stupid Norway we dont have lpg available everywhere.

What i was thinking of doing was more in the line of a tune, downpipes and so on... But i havent found anyone selling downpipes ore cat delete?

First of all ill get some wheels. There is a guy selling some 22" on rubber but they are et36... Not shure if that will work. Then ill add a alpine 8" navigation... In teo days we will drive to Netherland, thrugh Denmark and Germany... Maby ill have it looked over in germany as its cheaper there then Norway. Yes we save where we can :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne S Turbo tuning question