Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Turbo tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:38 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
I'm still curious about potential for weight loss as that will help mileage as well (vs. Mods which will do the opposite). Maybe I'm just in the 964 mindset - plenty of people have successfully pulled weight out their cars - but with a 5K lb vehicle, there has to be stuff that can be safely removed without compromising the utility.

Maybe when I actually get mine, I'll be able to take a good look and see.
I searched the 964 forum for weight reduction and found this example...

1. Change rims - simple fix
2. Use light tires - ditto
3. Change one piece rims to 2 piece with AL hat, same size - no simple plug and play solution. In discussion with AP about this though. ( BBKs would add more weight with the larger calipers, so not under consideration unless someone knows definitively that the Brembo 355 kit is lighter in total, for example )
4. Change the wheel carriers - expensive, but possible. 993 GT2 carriers apparently usable. Not sure if other mods needed in this situation, such as caliper mounting brackets.
5. Change suspension components (such as arms and tie-rods) to lighter versions - not sure if available

Swapping lightweight components from another model is not an option. Changing tires and wheels may help but not enough to warrant the expense IMO.
Obviously the Cayenne is a completely different animal with a different purpose.

If you want better economy consider a later model or another brand. Its just not going to happen with the 4.5L Cayenne.

Last edited by v10rick; 06-27-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:12 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

TLDR ;-)

Easy: buy an EVOMS 700hp kit for CTTS. $15k to buy, 2k to install. Be happy.

Harder: DIY the kit and find out it will cost you $10k, 2 years of labor and find out it's a neverending story. Ask me how I know.

Impossible: shave weight from a 955. Doable, yes - ditch interior, all the dampening material, dashboard, seats and every comfort thingie in the car. Put in 2 recaros and a Motec dashboard... You get the idea.

If you're looking for fuel economy, ditch the car. I'm averaging 30l/100km (7.8mpg) with larger turbos and injectors.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:14 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Rick,

I'm with you on that. Just from my initial research I've noted some porky tendancies in the features of the car. Not saying that doing any or all of the following makes sense, but just noted:

- Seat belt up/down adjustment is motorized, which seems gratituous
- Any ability to swap seats? Not that I would put in racing seats, but 911 seats would be cool/lighter.
- Plastic underbody panels. May be a net loss due to aerodynamics/weight down low.

*Edit saw Lupo's comment. What's the old saying - a 1lb of weight is worth X horsepower?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

This is a luxury SUV. If you're trying to make it into a sports car, just stop and buy a sports car.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rick,

I'm with you on that. Just from my initial research I've noted some porky tendancies in the features of the car. Not saying that doing any or all of the following makes sense, but just noted:

- Seat belt up/down adjustment is motorized, which seems gratituous
- Any ability to swap seats? Not that I would put in racing seats, but 911 seats would be cool/lighter.
- Plastic underbody panels. May be a net loss due to aerodynamics/weight down low.

*Edit saw Lupo's comment. What's the old saying - a 1lb of weight is worth X horsepower?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:23 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm here all night. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:29 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
This is a luxury SUV. If you're trying to make it into a sports car, just stop and buy a sports car.
He's got a point.

These p!gs already rock at what they are, and the turbo S version is remarkably reliable for how much performance they've squeezed out of it. You can spend $20k on 'mods' on the cayenne and still not have a sports car, all while making it worth less than if it were left alone.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm here all night. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.
The fun part of this forum is sharing experiences/ideas and learning from one another.

This forum can save you big bucks by avoiding pitfalls that may work with model or brand X.

The 4.5L Cayenne can be terribly expensive to maintain, as is, without any mods.

Burning up (wasting) mod money that could be better invested in a later model is something to avoid.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:08 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

All your going to find here is a bunch of people that will tell you what you can't do with your Cayenne. It's like any other car but terribly expensive, unexplored beyond bolt ons by the average consumer, and piggy in every sense . However, if you are skilled in troubleshooting and an adept wrench you may be very very happy. The 955 is the most mod friendly of all without the dfi and tuning is ultimately going to be the biggest hurdle.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
All your going to find here is a bunch of people that will tell you what you can't do with your Cayenne. It's like any other car but terribly expensive, unexplored beyond bolt ons by the average consumer, and piggy in every sense . However, if you are skilled in troubleshooting and an adept wrench you may be very very happy. The 955 is the most mod friendly of all without the dfi and tuning is ultimately going to be the biggest hurdle.
I'm all for mods but reading about fuel economy and at the same time about bumping up power on a V8 twin turbo in a 2700kg vehicle kinda doesn't seem like a good mix so I just gave the short version.
The number of my engine pulls is higher than number of oil changes a lot of people do while they own the p!g and at least one other is coming when I get new turbos.
it's just like any other FI car and same principles apply. My mod post is quite extensive with all ups & downs, describing what I used etc. I would do it again just for the fun of it but I just might take a little easier way this time (EVOMS kit) plus throw in some of my own parts.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:36 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Not really sure where you can remove much weight without removing options. Some low down weight would be Forged wheels, Secondary (Main) Cat bypasses will remove some more but all very small. The Turbos max out at a little over 550bhp if you looks the specs up the IHI Turbos (450bhp & 520bhp use the same Turbos).
I have a '06 Turbo S and did the Secondary Cat bypasses along with a Eurocharged tune. I don't drive it a lot so I always use Octane booster with every tank to be sure the ECU doesn't pull timing or boost due to lack of Octane (92MON) is the best we have here in WA state. I also went with Forged wheels but I do on all of my cars, lighter and stronger, just an **** preference. It is a fun SUV, reliable when the original weak points are taken care of, and fast. I would love a newer, lighter Turbo S but it's not in the cards right now.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless your adding a gallon of octane booster, I don't think its helping that much. One can only raises the octane one point, and when they say one point, them mean point one, so, 92 octane becomes 92.1. ;(
Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm using Torco Racing fuel. 55gallon drum, not the cheap discount store 12oz bottle stuff.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 PM
RoyC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im still here reading . Fact is with all turbo cars you can usualy get a fair amount of extra power just from ''chipping'' ore reprogramming it. As what i have read you shuld upgrade the intercooler if you go for 550hp... witch is not that mutch but though...

Then maby removing the cats/bigger exhaust and better airflow inn... but maby these are optimal as is?

A Norwegian company even claim to be able to reduce consuption 20%... witch is hard to belive. But i learned today that driving it manualy is more efficient. 160km it used about 1.2l pr 10km. I culd use less if i dident test it alittle... this was 70% at 80kmh and the rest city and being in traffic.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're forgetting this is a 5500 lb SUV. If you figure you can bump the power to weight ratio of a typical AWD turbo car from Audi by about 20% with just a chip, that means you would need to get to about 620 HP on a Turbo S to increase the power/weight ratio by a proportional amount. You're only going to get to about 560-570 on a Turbo S with a tune.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Turbo tuning question