Sponsored by:

Cold Start Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:27 PM
skow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Backfire

Hello, this is my first post. I have a 2005 Porsche Cayenne 3.2L VR6.

On cold start after the engine idles down a popping sound is heard every 3-5 seconds. It sounds like a backfire sound is coming from near the intake.

The car is not throwing any codes. The dealer just replaced all the ignition coils a few days ago, and spark plugs were replaced a couple years ago. The cold start problem did not improve the with the new coils.

The Porsche dealer has looked at this twice. I was there the second time and heard the backfire with them. The technician explained that this is common for this model Cayenne with high miles (160k miles). Further, they said it is nothing to be worried about and won't cause damage to the engine.

I am no expert, but this doesn't right to me. I was hoping someone on the forum can help.

Some additional information: The car is american specification, but I live in Germany. I took the car to a dealer in a large city in Germany.

Once the engine warms up to normal temp, the popping sound basically goes away.

Here are some videos I took recently (engine idles down at 37 sec in first video):

tschüss!

Last edited by skow; 06-23-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typos :)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:38 AM
skow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping because no replies yet...
Old 06-26-2016, 02:05 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really hard for people to diagnose things through a video, especially if you don't have any codes. I'd suggest trying a VW dealer since that is a VW motor, and they might have more experience with it. AFAIK - the Cayenne is the only Porsche model with this motor. The Panamera has a Porsche-made V6.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:58 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like a spitting sound, more like an intermittent exhaust leak. Wrinkledpants offered the best solution...a VW engine problem diagnosed by a VW dealer.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Backfire