Pulled the trigger on a new Cayenne S e-hybrid, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 PM
sirish19
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on a new Cayenne S e-hybrid, have a few questions

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone's comments to my earlier post, rather than waiting around for the next year and a half for the 2018 model to come out, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a 2016 model.

Specs are as follows:
Carrara white metallic/black interior
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon Headlights including PDLS
Porsche Entry & Drive
Park Assist (front & rear) with back camera
Privacy glass
Adaptive Cruise Control
Front seat heating
comfort lighting package

I am pretty happy with the options that it came with although I would have liked the power seats with memory package and the sports chrono package. Car will arrive here in Japan in July.

I am totally new to the hybrid thing and am trying to research as much as I can ahead of time but did have a few questions. I understand that I will definitely need to have a 200 volt (here in Japan) setup prepared. Where I will park my car, I will need the 25 foot cable instead of the 8 foot cable. Does that have to be ordered specifically with the car or should I be able to get one separately? My dealer here in Japan didn't seem to find that it was available separately and I am just wondering if he just didn't know, or if that is just not available yet in Japan. Are they available at the Porsche dealer in the US? If so, does anyone know how much they would cost? I will be in the US in July and wondering if I can just pick one up there and bring it back to Japan.

Alternatively, I have seen other extenders to the J1772 plug, does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work as well?

Also, my dealer was suggesting that the e-hybrid wouldn't charge at all charging stations around Japan (particularly for the purely electric cars). If that is true, are there not any kind of adapters that would allow charging at other stations?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:24 PM
KCYOYO
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this link from other thread. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider...210757&cj=true
Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats Sirish19. =)

We are 240 volt in Iceland and I am still waiting to have a convenient power point put in where I park the car.. At the moment I have a heavy duty (240 volt rated) extension lead of about 15 meters than I run out to the car and use with the charger that came with it. Charges in about 3 hours or so. And this is just using a domestic power outlet, nothing fancy.

If you are only charging overnight even 110volt is ok from what I have heard. But at 10 - 11 hours it's somewhat less convenient than 240 volt.

I am curious why anyone would bother with these more expensive installs, when a normal 240 volt outlet is fine. Just my 2cents...
Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 AM
sirish19
Advanced

Originally Posted by thescratt
Congrats Sirish19. =)

We are 240 volt in Iceland and I am still waiting to have a convenient power point put in where I park the car.. At the moment I have a heavy duty (240 volt rated) extension lead of about 15 meters than I run out to the car and use with the charger that came with it. Charges in about 3 hours or so. And this is just using a domestic power outlet, nothing fancy.

If you are only charging overnight even 110volt is ok from what I have heard. But at 10 - 11 hours it's somewhat less convenient than 240 volt.

I am curious why anyone would bother with these more expensive installs, when a normal 240 volt outlet is fine. Just my 2cents...
Thanks "thecratt".

Yeah, worst-case scenario, I am looking at putting in a 200 volt outlet and just run a 200v extension cord to give me length. It would be great to have the longer cable so that I could install the dock and everything and have it all nice and tidy. I am a little worried about running extension cord and have the charging unit sitting on the ground (especially during the Japanese rainy season). I see that there are a lot of charging station options in the US but I don't see as many here in Japan. Want to look into this option as well.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:53 AM
thescratt
Instructor

I've used my charger in light rain here. I just put it under the car a bit. I was more worried about the supposedly weather proof socket on the extension cable...

But yeah.. Monsoon rain in Japan is special! =)

I am probably going to go for a ghetto install for mine. We're getting a nice outside outlet put in, and then I am going to put a box on the wall next to it (wooden - our house is wood. ) and use the mounting brackets that came with the charger to place the charger in there when in use.

I would expect that to be fine even through winter in Iceland. And if we go away I'll just sling the charger in the back of the car as we go...

Much as I love Porsche I am not paying $999 for a plastic box with their logo on it.. i.e. The "charging wall station".
Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 AM
pauloil
AutoX

Originally Posted by sirish19
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone's comments to my earlier post, rather than waiting around for the next year and a half for the 2018 model to come out, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a 2016 model.

Specs are as follows:
Carrara white metallic/black interior
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon Headlights including PDLS
Porsche Entry & Drive
Park Assist (front & rear) with back camera
Privacy glass
Adaptive Cruise Control
Front seat heating
comfort lighting package

I am pretty happy with the options that it came with although I would have liked the power seats with memory package and the sports chrono package. Car will arrive here in Japan in July.

I am totally new to the hybrid thing and am trying to research as much as I can ahead of time but did have a few questions. I understand that I will definitely need to have a 200 volt (here in Japan) setup prepared. Where I will park my car, I will need the 25 foot cable instead of the 8 foot cable. Does that have to be ordered specifically with the car or should I be able to get one separately? My dealer here in Japan didn't seem to find that it was available separately and I am just wondering if he just didn't know, or if that is just not available yet in Japan. Are they available at the Porsche dealer in the US? If so, does anyone know how much they would cost? I will be in the US in July and wondering if I can just pick one up there and bring it back to Japan.

Alternatively, I have seen other extenders to the J1772 plug, does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work as well?

Also, my dealer was suggesting that the e-hybrid wouldn't charge at all charging stations around Japan (particularly for the purely electric cars). If that is true, are there not any kind of adapters that would allow charging at other stations?

Any input is appreciated.
you would have to really pay attn to the gauge of the wire in the 25 ft. extension. for that length, you need to be sure it has is 12 gauge wire. To install the plug, you would run 12 gauge romex with both wires hot.
http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...r_initial.html
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM
rdpennin
Track Day

If I recall correctly, you have the option of selecting the longer cord during the order process. I'm pretty sure it was the same cost, though you only get one or the other.

Congrats on your new SEH,
R
Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 AM
sirish19
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdpennin
If I recall correctly, you have the option of selecting the longer cord during the order process. I'm pretty sure it was the same cost, though you only get one or the other.

Congrats on your new SEH,
R
Thanks. yes, it seems it was a one or the other option but, unfortunately, I didn't order my car myself, it was a dealer's build, so I didn't have the option to get the 25ft one. I am a bit surprised that that is not an option to purchase later and am wondering if there are any other options...
Old 06-18-2016, 09:20 AM
rdpennin
Track Day

Thanks. yes, it seems it was a one or the other option but, unfortunately, I didn't order my car myself, it was a dealer's build, so I didn't have the option to get the 25ft one. I am a bit surprised that that is not an option to purchase later and am wondering if there are any other options...
I checked with my dealer after delivery, and they were able to order the cable in either length. You can also order from Suncoast here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUHYBCAB.html
Old 06-18-2016, 12:16 PM
sirish19
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdpennin
I checked with my dealer after delivery, and they were able to order the cable in either length. You can also order from Suncoast here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUHYBCAB.html
Great, thanks, that is good to know. I'll check again with my dealer here.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:31 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thescratt
I've used my charger in light rain here. I just put it under the car a bit. I was more worried about the supposedly weather proof socket on the extension cable...

But yeah.. Monsoon rain in Japan is special! =)

I am probably going to go for a ghetto install for mine. We're getting a nice outside outlet put in, and then I am going to put a box on the wall next to it (wooden - our house is wood. ) and use the mounting brackets that came with the charger to place the charger in there when in use.

I would expect that to be fine even through winter in Iceland. And if we go away I'll just sling the charger in the back of the car as we go...

Much as I love Porsche I am not paying $999 for a plastic box with their logo on it.. i.e. The "charging wall station".
I took delivery of a 2016 e-hybrid and the charging wall station was included. Check to see what the options were on your Euro-spec'd car.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:14 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I took delivery of a 2016 e-hybrid and the charging wall station was included. Check to see what the options were on your Euro-spec'd car.
I kind of think I should have got it.. Based on Euro specs.. As well as Internet Services (AHA). I also know I should have got Car Connect.. But I didn't get any of those..

But this is Iceland.. We're kind of in the EU and not. Also the dealer here is pretty notorious for being a bit tight with its customers, and Cobra Telemetrics / Porsche do not offer the Car Connect service here...
I also gave up trying to get a definitive answer from Porsche about all of the above. Love their cars, hate their customer service. Both dealers and HQ.

So all these things kind of get dropped.. We do however get a crazy tax free deal on Hybrids (also soon to be stopped), which makes it possible to get a Hybrid for about 25% less than the Diesel in Europe (where they are more or less the same price). So it's swings and roundabouts... The 25% saved went on making it a pretty high spec Hybrid. And anyway.. AFAIK the wall box is just a plastic box.. I think my wooden one will be nicer. I'll even put a Porsche logo on it.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a new Cayenne S e-hybrid, have a few questions