Sponsored by:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 review

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:48 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsr
Respectfully disagree and please tell me you bought a Cayenne for the handling. Currently owning a CTT-S and a GTS, I'll agree that they do a more than respectable job of it but that's not what they were made for. There's a reason they're affectionately called "Pigs".
I drive my Cayennes year-round and also use it to tow my snowmobiles to wherever the snow is. I've logged 130K miles on DWSs chasing our college baseball player all over the East Coast and baseball is a spring/summer sport so I think I have built a pretty good knowledge base on the DWS.
DWSs have never caused anything remotely like a safety issue and they go through snow like the proverbial knife through butter. In rain they are fantastic too and handle respectably in the dry.
If its all about handling, the Cayenne is the wrong tool to pull out of the box.
I bought a Cayenne for handling. Best handling SUV I could find after driving boxsters for years. They're called Pigs because compared to the rest of the Porsche line-up they are indeed Pigs but compared to every other SUV on the market they might as well be ballerinas.

Is there a better handling Porsche with room for three adults in the back? Panameras have that stupid center console in the back and even the new panamera sport turismo (aka porsche station wagon) is a "4+1", not a 5 seater.

True I haven't put 100,000 miles on the DWS yet but just the last 1,000 miles have been concerning enough that I completely hate them and plan to remove them as soon as risk of snow in my area has passed in another few weeks. I don't know if I'll ever use them again, I have a extra vehicle I might just drive during the few days a year we get snow or ice.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
I bought a Cayenne for handling. Best handling SUV I could find after driving boxsters for years. They're called Pigs because compared to the rest of the Porsche line-up they are indeed Pigs but compared to every other SUV on the market they might as well be ballerinas
Not sure if that is the origin of "Pig" but OK. Please remember that I bought 2 so I must appreciate them as well.

Is there a better handling Porsche with room for three adults in the back? Panameras have that stupid center console in the back and even the new panamera sport turismo (aka porsche station wagon) is a "4+1", not a 5 seater.
They better be tiny humans or the trip better be very short. I'm a mere 6'1" and the space behind the driver's seat is not what I would consider "generous". The middle seat is not a great place either, nice and flat with zero lateral support. I would not put someone my height behind me for very long. My GSD fits well however.

True I haven't put 100,000 miles on the DWS yet but just the last 1,000 miles have been concerning enough that I completely hate them and plan to remove them as soon as risk of snow in my area has passed in another few weeks. I don't know if I'll ever use them again, I have a extra vehicle I might just drive during the few days a year we get snow or ice.
That is a great example of how subjective tires are. One of my Cayennes has Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S tires and one has DWSs. The DWS shod Cayenne is so much more stable and confidence inspiring than the one with Scorpions. This appears to be a consensus:
Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM
jlusby
Instructor

Sorry to thread jack, and I do appreciate your review on the DWS as I have been looking at these tires for years because of all of the great reviews. I would probably serious considers these for my kids vehicles that only run all season tires. However, with both my M5 and my CTTS, I have dedicated winter and summer tires just because I don't believe that all-season tires do a good enough job during the extremes to justify them on a vehicle with these type of capabilities. I have used all season tires on rear wheel drive cars and they just don't do a good enough job in the snow in my opinion, and I wasn't even going to take the chance on my wife getting into trouble with 550HP under her right foot.

So, my question what experience does anyone have with Continental CrossContact UHPs on the Cayenne. My summer rims are 21" and if I stick with Porsche spec tires, the choices are really quite limited - and I don't want to start a discussion on whether you need Porsche spec tires, I have read that enough . I have spent the last few months reading review on TireRack, here and 6Speed but just wasn't finding exactly the information that I was looking for. So, if anyone has run these on their Cayenne, I would appreciate any feedback as how they compare to other "summer" tires.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlusby
Sorry to thread jack, and I do appreciate your review on the DWS as I have been looking at these tires for years because of all of the great reviews. I would probably serious considers these for my kids vehicles that only run all season tires. However, with both my M5 and my CTTS, I have dedicated winter and summer tires just because I don't believe that all-season tires do a good enough job during the extremes to justify them on a vehicle with these type of capabilities. I have used all season tires on rear wheel drive cars and they just don't do a good enough job in the snow in my opinion, and I wasn't even going to take the chance on my wife getting into trouble with 550HP under her right foot.

So, my question what experience does anyone have with Continental CrossContact UHPs on the Cayenne. My summer rims are 21" and if I stick with Porsche spec tires, the choices are really quite limited - and I don't want to start a discussion on whether you need Porsche spec tires, I have read that enough . I have spent the last few months reading review on TireRack, here and 6Speed but just wasn't finding exactly the information that I was looking for. So, if anyone has run these on their Cayenne, I would appreciate any feedback as how they compare to other "summer" tires.
I dunno, I live 10 miles from you and southern Ohio from my experience doesn't really merit dedicated snow tires. If its summer performance time I just switch cars and drive something more performance oriented.
My .02 and I have .00 experience with the CCC UHP's.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:25 PM
jlusby
Instructor

I hear you about the lack of snow in our area, but you never know... Unfortunately for me we only have the 3 vehicles to drive. The M5 and the CTTS are the two performance oriented and a '73SL is the top down cruiser that will never be mistaken for a performance oriented vehicle That is why I have summer and winter for the M5 and CTT, and of course getting to play pit crew when I change the tires
Old 02-11-2018, 02:28 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jlusby

I ran them on my 2008 CTT and thought they were great. I have DWSs on my CTTS now and run Michellin Super Sports in the summer. Here is an older thread on the UHPs. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...hp-needed.html

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-11-2018, 02:35 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

I bought a Cayenne for handling. Best handling SUV I could find after driving boxsters for years. They're called Pigs because compared to the rest of the Porsche line-up they are indeed Pigs but compared to every other SUV on the market they might as well be ballerinas.

Where do you live? I'll be in Ohio in two weeks and if you want to pitch then I'll take them. Love them for 3 season tire on my pig.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:38 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsr
Not sure if that is the origin of "Pig" but OK. Please remember that I bought 2 so I must appreciate them as well.

They better be tiny humans or the trip better be very short. I'm a mere 6'1" and the space behind the driver's seat is not what I would consider "generous". The middle seat is not a great place either, nice and flat with zero lateral support. I would not put someone my height behind me for very long. My GSD fits well however.

That is a great example of how subjective tires are. One of my Cayennes has Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S tires and one has DWSs. The DWS shod Cayenne is so much more stable and confidence inspiring than the one with Scorpions. This appears to be a consensus:
Apparently someone called a cayenne a pig on rennlist back in 2002 when they came out and the name just stuck. It makes sense, after making track cars forever a big ugly pig suv comes around so porsche owners called it a pig and it is a pig compared to the 911 and boxster that was out at that time
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...tml#post579830

Like I said, is there another porsche that fits 3 adults in the backseat better than a cayenne? I had another porsche when I bought this pig, and with kids it just sat and sat and sat. I was sad having a beautiful porsche sit and rot while driving the pig daily so I freed the porsche to roam the pastures with another driver. No porsche should sit imho. Yes I know some people are happy driving a prius or slow suv as a daily and keep a hotrod or supercar in the garage for weekend driving but that's not me. I want to have my cake and eat it too, so the pig turbo is the best of both worlds. I may buy a 911 or boxster again, but for the foreseeable future I need the extra space the pig provides.

yes I read the reviews too, that's why I bought the dws. Clearly the people leaving those reviews are not porsche owners, they don't expect their vehicles to handle well, because if they had they would not have been rating the dws highly at all. And the porsche owners that do rate this tire highly are not driving their porsches like they're porsches, they're driving them like they're lexus or hondas.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 review