Sponsored by:

04 CTT transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:55 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 04 CTT transfer case issue

Okay guys, I've admittedly been differing maintenance when it comes to the transfer case stepper motor. I did just the stepper motor once (from a scrap yard) but the issue soon returned where I get the "4-wheel drive system faulty" message, coupled with PSM OFF.

There seemed to be no real ill-effects, other than it turned PSM off, which isn't exactly a bad thing to me. I don't care for the over-protective driving nanny anyway. So, I ignored it. Later, infrequently I'd see the red light on the xfer case switch flash while driving. No real rhyme or reason, it would start flashing for a while and then stop. Also periodically on start up I'd get a message on the dash stating "Reduction On" It was a lie, I've done nearly 30k miles this way and the car continued to drive fine.

Until today. Commuting to work on the interstate, cruise on at a reasonable speed, when suddenly my RMPs went all the way up. We're talking 7k+. I immediately canceled cruise and noticed I had no power to the wheels. I coasted over to the shoulder and stopped the car. Drive, neutral, reverse, all the same. Engine revs but no go. When selecting park, however, I'd hear a strange grinding type noise from the center console.

I fiddled with things for a bit, turning the car off, back on, selecting gears, moving the xfer case selector when at one point the MFD said "Unable to select this function. Place Selector into Neutral" or something to that effect.
So I did, and everything went back to normal.

I don't know.. I think the car is jealous I went to look at a 2008 last week. I'm assuming I just need to do the transfer case stepper motor again and include the control module this time? Where is the module?

Quick Reply: 04 CTT transfer case issue