Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The built in navi is far from rubbish. It's about 10x better than the old PCM 2.1.
I have no problems with it at all. Maybe it's no good in AU. It even gives me a tiny cayenne in black like mine, driving on the maps Who doesn't like a tiny Cayenne?

Last edited by Hal 2000; 02-08-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Tex Willer
Track Day

Anyone successfully added a 360 degree parking assistance four camera setup and software to this Android unit?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 AM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

So if you're using the Navigation with this unit will it display the directions in the gauge cluster like the oem nav?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been considering the 360 camera, but tearing into all the trim panels to run 4 camera wires is daunting.

No nav display on the dash. Did the PCM do that in 955 and 957? Google maps works offline. You can pan-zoom to any map region and select download for offline use. Waze navigation works fine offline too, but no speed trap warnings unless connected.

Anyone else have Clarkson, Hammond & May for Waze NAV voices? Its been fun.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:34 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal 2000
The built in navi is far from rubbish. It's about 10x better than the old PCM 2.1.
I have no problems with it at all. Maybe it's no good in AU. It even gives me a tiny cayenne in black like mine, driving on the maps Who doesn't like a tiny Cayenne?
I can't stand it, can't use it. The one and only gripe I have with it is the way it says "recalculating route". I thought the computer voice was funny at first, but eventually it was more like a fork scratching my frontal lobe. Just recalculate, don't tell me again and again, block after block. So, I tether and use Google Maps. Infinitely better anyway since it knows traffic conditions. Any nav that doesn't know current conditions is useless anyway where I am in the DC Metro.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

My biggest issue with iGo was the lack of turn warning in highway situations. It would literally tell you 20m before the turn (for the first time in ages) "Turn Right" so you'd have to slam on the brakes and pray the person behind you has ABS too. Here Maps possibly over notifies of upcoming turns, but it's a safety feature I'm willing to live with!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:16 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by psoma
... Maps possibly over notifies of upcoming turns, but it's a safety feature I'm willing to live with!
I'm assuming you mean the built-in nav routing? Heh, I always joke it's assuming I'm driving at 100+mph on the Autobahn, where you'd NEED that kind of advance warning.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:24 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Any nav that doesn't know current conditions is useless anyway where I am in the DC Metro.
It does know some local conditions, but it's nowhere near as insightful/helpful as Google Maps can be. PCM nav hangs onto a bad route like a dog on an ear. GM, otoh, rapidly groks you're bailing on the traditional route and taking the backroads.

Like jumping off 66E near Vienna, looking to get back to MD. PCM nav keeps suggesting U-turns until you're nearly into Vienna. GM, figures it out within about a half mile and starts looking ahead at the traffic on 123 for re-routes.

What I hate about PCM nav is always hearing "Your destination is not on a digitized route"... because it's an address in a shopping center? Nav makes it sound like it's on the end of a 10 mile dirt road, when it's actually just 100yds off the closest road.

I can only imagine how tedious/annoying it's going to be if/when autonomous cars start trying to figure things out.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 PM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I'm assuming you mean the built-in nav routing? Heh, I always joke it's assuming I'm driving at 100+mph on the Autobahn, where you'd NEED that kind of advance warning.
Hah, nah "HERE Maps" I believe is the evolution of Nokia Maps that I use on the Android radio. It's just as paranoid about you not missing your turn as the PCM nav unit... Which is a good then when you *are* doing 100mph on the, ahem, Australian Autobahn
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icspres
I can't stand it, can't use it. The one and only gripe I have with it is the way it says "recalculating route". I thought the computer voice was funny at first, but eventually it was more like a fork scratching my frontal lobe. Just recalculate, don't tell me again and again, block after block. So, I tether and use Google Maps. Infinitely better anyway since it knows traffic conditions. Any nav that doesn't know current conditions is useless anyway where I am in the DC Metro.
pick up a cheap internet wifi hotspot and leave it plugged in somewhere. I store mine in the rear compartment and it is always on. I use freedom pop which is $5 a month for 500gb. Not enough to stream, but enough for receiving push notifications from my phone (via pushbullet or join) and map routing.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tex Willer
Anyone successfully added a 360 degree parking assistance four camera setup and software to this Android unit?
I want to hear from anyone who has done this. I seriously want to try it, but I am little worried about the install.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:15 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjsauser
So seems like this unit with Android 6.0 is rubbish. Im seriously considering the unit linked below as it still has 5.1, and I want a volume ****... Is 5.1 solid?

Looks like a wireless backup cam is an option, since my car doesn't have that option from the factory would I'd probably go that route and save myself the hassle of running wires, has anyone tried that? Or should I order the special "Porsche Camera" they have and a separate wireless transmitter?

http://www.seicane.com/seicane-s1270...acitive-screen
I had mine professional installed by a car audio shop. It was only $100 for the install, and it works great. I bought the camera that installs in place of one of the license plate lights. You can barely tell it is even there.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Just a heads up Seicane released a coupon code "seicanecode5" , i believe it's worth 5%. I just paid 800 OTD for the unit with DAB+ and the fiber optic option.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Tex Willer
Track Day

Originally Posted by morrisdl
I have been considering the 360 camera, but tearing into all the trim panels to run 4 camera wires is daunting.
I would see routing the wires as an interesting challenge. Is there Android SW available, which would run on these units and do good job stitching the picture together? A software that provides 360 DVR & dash cam would be pretty cool. A live feed over cellular and I could let my kids drive my car.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tex Willer
I would see routing the wires as an interesting challenge. Is there Android SW available, which would run on these units and do good job stitching the picture together? A software that provides 360 DVR & dash cam would be pretty cool. A live feed over cellular and I could let my kids drive my car.
The 360 view systems do provide DVR and dash cam features, and do all the stitching. Here is a good example:

Routing wires would be the bear. Cameras in the front and rear are easy. The hard part are the side cameras that mount in the side view mirrors.

I've been thinking about this still. I would plug this directly into the AUX input, and have a shortcut on the desktop for when I would want to access it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review