Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It can certainly be done to free up channels on your large amplifier, but it could make for some crazy tuning issues to get everything dialed in correctly for the gains to match between the different amps when changing the volume on the unit. I do not have much hope for the internal amp to be of high quality and producing fantastic sound. It would likely be a waste of time and effort, but we won't know until someone gives it a shot, right?!

If I don't get things straightened out with Seicane soon, I will likely just wire in a 5 channel amp in place of the bose and run 4 sets of components in the doors. I need to run an RCA for the rear camera anyways, so it is not too much harder to run the three additional audio cables for Left, Right, and mono sub. I would much rather have fewer high quality speakers and one amp, than a whole mess of Bose BS.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

20+ emails back and forth with Seicane and they have finally provided me with a tracking number for a new MOST box. They have requested that I ship back the broken one to their address in China... Jimbabwe, did you get your replacement yet and did they request the same for you? It appears that the shipping is going to be about $30 via USPS. :-/

This is going to just be a temporary stop gap for me until I get the wiring in for a new amp and rear view camera anyways, so perhaps I should have just pursued the the refund approach to get my original $130 back... oh well.

Hopefully this info helps the next people down the road when hitting similar snags. Anyone made any further advancements? I will be doing the IQ Navi flash soon. Excited to check it out. Does it help solve the issue of the audio breaking up sometimes when the CPU of the unit gets a little overtaxed when trying to multitask?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:34 AM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally- sound!

I did indeed receive a new decoder yesterday, after over a month of waiting. And yes, Seicane is asking me to ship the defective piece back asap, using one of the most expensive methods. I am undecided if I will do as they ask, use a cheaper method that doesn't have tracking (against there advice), or ask them if it's okay if I just keep the broken one and not spend any more of my money on their defective piece. I know what the answer will be from them.
But I am happily that the HU is in and working well. It sounds similar to the stock unit, but the ability to play my own music and answer my phone (and all the rest of the things it can do) is well worth the price of admission.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I still have not received the new MOST box, but they are emailing me twice a day with the same email telling me to send the old one back. I am not pulling the broken one until I get the new, this is just aggravating me. Let this be a warning to others who may be considering ordering from seicane.com their service is not up to our expectations of a typical western company.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbabwe
I did indeed receive a new decoder yesterday, after over a month of waiting. And yes, Seicane is asking me to ship the defective piece back asap, using one of the most expensive methods. I am undecided if I will do as they ask, use a cheaper method that doesn't have tracking (against there advice), or ask them if it's okay if I just keep the broken one and not spend any more of my money on their defective piece. I know what the answer will be from them.
But I am happily that the HU is in and working well. It sounds similar to the stock unit, but the ability to play my own music and answer my phone (and all the rest of the things it can do) is well worth the price of admission.
Offer to give them a picture of their bad adapter destroyed. I had a bad order of high end floor mats once, and they reshipped but demanded a picture of the ones in the wrong color cut in half. Painful, since they were really nice and nothing wrong with them. Someone should have gotten them. But they didn't want to pay the return and wouldn't refund me without the picture of them destroyed.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have kind of a non-related question. I want to pick up one of these units as well for my wife's 2009 Benz GL450. They seem to have the same/similar unit available for her truck. I'm really having a hard time figuring out if this unit will still work with the rear seat entertainment system that comes from MB. Those screens can either play from the DVD player in the rear, or you can have them play from the DVD in the dash. The sound of course would also need to come through the main head unit. In playing around with these units, do you guys have any confidence that either I can get the audio from the rear DVD player to play on this or somehow output the DVD image to the factory TVs? I'll of course ask Seicane next but maybe it will save me time if you have possibly seen it mentioned in any of the paperwork.

Thanks!
Andy

http://www.seicane.com/9-inch-2005-2...-video-s085989
Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

If the rear TV's will take RCA video in I believe it should work, but I have not tested this yet. It appears they advertise this functionality on the website. As far as audio in, yes. It has RCA audio input. I have no clue what kind of wiring or MOST adapter boxes you may need to get it to all hook together. I think it is unlikely it will all just be plug and play without some effort and extra equipment and adapters, but in theory should be possible.

I am still waiting on my replacement MOST box. They are emailing me twice a day to return the old one. I have told them stop until I have at least confirmed the new one works.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Finally got the replacement MOST box and installed it this weekend. I have stereo sound again! After this experience I just can not recommend going this route. Seicane was just a major pain to deal with when they sent defective parts and having to uninstall and reinstall it so many times was just way too big of a hassle. Seeing as there are already more than one of us that have gone through this I would say the chances are high for others.

If I were to do it again, I would just lay some RCA cables to the rear of the car and replace the factory amp. I still may do it, but for now I have a functional stereo.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:29 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out. Im still loving mine. Im sure there are alternative sources for the MOST box and all the other components too.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Sid3ways
Advanced

I really wish there was a better more reliable supplier for these units.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM
957 GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, any advice would be welcomed, and thank you in advance. My 9" Android HU arrived after about a week. They apologized since I'd paid for the express shipping and said it was on the line getting the new update and would be out asap and they'd send me an extra sd card for waiting. I see no inputs for SD cards anywhere on this head unit and there was no SD cards included in the packaging. I'll go back and check the storage availability later. I got it hooked up and powered on, but no sound. My old PCM 3 stopped working about a month ago. Stuck in a boot loop. Would go to the radio screen and text was in German. Then it would reboot. No sound. So I ordered this. Could my amp be blown? I enjoyed getting this Android unit on and looks great once I can actually use it as a radio and listen to music again!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:46 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

You likely did not install the MOST box correctly, isolate that and make sure it is not the problem. The easiest approach would be to use a known good audio source like the headphone jack on your cellphone. Use a cable like this (which most of us have sitting around for one reason or another) as the input into the MOST box to see if you get sound out of your factory system:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Audio...rds=aux+to+rca

If that works then you know it is an issue with your head unit's audio output, if it does not work then you know you either also got a dud MOST box or have it hooked up incorrectly. If you got a dud Most box see my recommendation a few posts up. Just run some RCA's to the back and get a replacement 5 channel amp and cut your $130 loss. I wish I did that in the beginning.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:59 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Glad you got it sorted out. Im still loving mine. Im sure there are alternative sources for the MOST box and all the other components too.
Thank you again for posting about this and leading the way. I likely would not have taken the plunge in ordering these relatively expensive chinese electronics from a shadeball supplier if you did not prove it.

I will have some time in October to add a few more bells and whistles. At this point I am really enjoying having bluetooth, better maps, etc. and haven't had a ton of time or motivation to integrate my dash cam, valentine1, cellphone activated features, etc. I think the reverse camera is next on the list.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Originally Posted by nodoors
Just run some RCA's to the back and get a replacement 5 channel amp and cut your $130 loss. I wish I did that in the beginning.
Sorry to sound like an idiot but I haven't looked at the factory amp and how it connects. Running 1 set of RCA cables to the rear with a 5 channel amp would easily allow me to hook up the factory speakers? Do the factory speakers just plug into the amp like normal aftermarket speakers so just unplug the wires or would the wires need to be cut?
Old 09-21-2016, 02:33 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different

How different will it be fomr this unit?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-4-...-/322175386763

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review