Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:16 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbabwe
Thanks for the info Morris, I will use it for purposes of good. However, I don't know when. It appears there is a flaw somewhere in my system as the head unit is doing what it should as far as video, GPS, WiFi, BT, steering wheel inputs, microphone, app installs, etcetera, but no sound. Anywhere- radio, BT phone, video, Google, CD, nothing...
Seicane told me to wire it up the same way I already had (using all the info on this thread- thanks) except they said to use RCA Left Front and Right Rear. No change, no sound.
My HU was working when I pulled it out, so I think the next step is to reinstall the old unit and see what happens... wish me luck.
Do you have the Bose system? If the Bose MOST adapter is wired right, then you should be able to plug a line level audio source (or a smartphone at low volume) and hear music. That will tell you if the headunit or the Most adapter is problematic.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea, and I gave it a shot.
Yes, Bose system- with all of its infinite goodness...(sigh)
I plugged a cheap speaker into various RCA outputs, got sound on all of them.
I wired my phone into the MOST adapter, no sound at any volume level.
I reinstalled my old HU into the car, sound.
I am thinking it is an issue with the MOST adapter. Does this sound like a logical assumption?

Jim
Old 07-15-2016, 05:10 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimbabwe
Good idea, and I gave it a shot.
Yes, Bose system- with all of its infinite goodness...(sigh)
I plugged a cheap speaker into various RCA outputs, got sound on all of them.
I wired my phone into the MOST adapter, no sound at any volume level.
I reinstalled my old HU into the car, sound.
I am thinking it is an issue with the MOST adapter. Does this sound like a logical assumption?

Jim
Yes. That sounds like you isolated the problem. Pull out the power wire from the most adapter and test the voltage. It's probably your splices not making good connections
Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Guys,

Received and had mine professionally installed. I have a couple issues I'm hoping to get a clue on here. First, I've lost a good bit of volume. I seem to recall someone saying the bose amp needed to set all the way to one end when the system was installed to get the full volume. Can't find that post with a simple search of volume for some reason. The next issue is the sensitivity of the radio antenna, seems to have lost some reception. Anyone else? And third, my OBD2 module has an error, says I need to set up a profile. Sorry if dumb question, but how? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:05 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Glad you took the plunge!

I think it was me that said that the volume needs to be set high and the EQ flat before removing the original system. I don't remember anymore where I read that, but I can tell you that my system gets very loud very quickly. I do not have a volume issue. It should only take them about 20 minutes to pop yours out, reconnect the old one, adjust the volume and then go back to the new one.

For the radio, dlmorris mentioned that the two diversity antennas need to be combined to one using a Y adapter.

ODB2 is working perfectly then! On Torque, the first thing to set up is the profile for you Cayenne. The software needs to know the weight and other aspects of your car for the calculations for fuel and acceleration -- thats what the car profile is for. Also, you need to change the units too and permanently select your ODB2 adapter from the list.

I hope you're loving yours! This is the best thing I ever did.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Boscology
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What steering wheel controls work and do not work. I had a different brand and model of android deck and loved it. I was initially thinking of getting the other one with a **** and 2 micro sd card slots on the front, i saw one on dhgate or ali for 300$ and thats the 5.1 version.

The technology and software are dated but just having the freedom is priceless.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Boscology
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
Man I am so annoyed with my these guys.

These guys are so bad in customer service, when I call them, they ask me to email.
Because they need to paste your message in a translator program to read it. A trick ive learned to communicate in these situations is to run your own message through google translator twice or maybe that and another one. You can change words arounds and use more basic language if needed.

Sorry about your troubles with them. Hope youre all set up soon
Old 08-04-2016, 08:29 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boscology
What steering wheel controls work and do not work. I had a different brand....
All of them. You can remap the steering wheel buttons to other radio funtions, but by default they work like oem: phone anwser & hangup, volume up & down, next and previous track, and mute all work.

Doesnt matter which app has the foreground (like Google map), next song controls still work. I had a couple very rare occasion where the next track button didn't work.

I wish I could map different functions to steering wheel button pushes and button pulls. Actually realize i haven't tried to yet....
Old 08-04-2016, 07:26 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for posting all the detailed info on your progress with this android receiver! After a long time lurking I joined the site specifically for this thread.

I am definitely going to snag one of these and follow your path on my CTT. Some of the projects I am excited about are front and rear cameras to record driving and motion detection when the car is parked with wifi connectivity so I can watch remotely from my phone, Valentine1 integration, Torque Pro (been using this app for years on all my obd2 vehicles and love it) and a few other odds and ends. Been an Android junky since the early days.

This is the first time I have played with Porsche stereos, but I have a high level of experience with other vehicles/electronics. I will do my best to get up to speed quickly so I can participate in the discussion better.

This is a stupid question that has been shockingly hard to find the answer. How do I know if I have a Bose stereo or not? For the basic install on an '05 CTT with PCM 2.1 and navigation do I need to order anything other than the two parts below? (it comes with a microphone, and CAN adapter, right?) I saw someone say that my stock GPS antenna should plug right in...

-http://www.seicane.com/9-inch-android-bluetooth-radio-for-2003-2010-porsche-cayenne-with-3g-wifi-gps-navigation-system-tpms-dvr-obd-ii-rear-camera-aux-headrest-monitor-control-usb-sd-video-3g-wifi-capacitive-touch-screen-s085688
-The $129 MOST adapter they have listed at the bottom

After reading about all the different options I am still confused, with this device will I lose the compass, navigation text, and radio text on the dashboard multi-display? I am okay with that, I just want to be mentally prepared for yin/yang of losing functionality when making an upgrade.

Looking forward to jazzing up my pig with some new tech!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:30 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

also, why does the kia get such a better setup (newer hardware, 10 inch screen that fills out the bezel perfectly, newest version of Android) for less than half the price?!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seica...308.4.2.6xTOMP

That is just not right.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:59 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

It appears my first post did not make it through or is awaiting moderator approval or something.
I joined this forum because of this thread. Very excited about this new receiver.

For a basic install to get rolling in an 05 CTT with navigation do I need anything other than the receiver (and associated mic, gps antenna, and wires) and the $129 MOST adapter?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:32 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by nodoors
It appears my first post did not make it through or is awaiting moderator approval or something.
I joined this forum because of this thread. Very excited about this new receiver.

For a basic install to get rolling in an 05 CTT with navigation do I need anything other than the receiver (and associated mic, gps antenna, and wires) and the $129 MOST adapter?
No you don't need anything extra. Mic GPS and wires come with it. If you need MOST adapter, or other wire adapters mentioned earlier in this thread, I may have a spare that I can send to you faster than it will arrive from China. I overbought stuff that I didn't need.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:43 AM
hgupta
Instructor

anyone do the dashcam option? I have been looking at dashcams, and I am considering the one from Seicane that is meant for this unit.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Great. I got the tracking number yesterday. I have been satisfied with my G1W dashcam for about a year now. My plan is to keep using that in the front and get a wifi connected one for the back that I can also use as a reverse cam (that will always be recording in a loop like the G1W.) Will see if I am able to hook it into a 4G hotspot so that I am able to watch my car over the cellular connection I will be adding. Is this system able to integrate the front and rear proximity sensors or overlay the dynamic lines when reversing in camera mode?

I read through the thread and will let you know if I need any of those cables when I start hooking things together soon. I will also be taking advantage of some advanced options with Torque which I have been using for several years now. I also intend to bring in some automation programming using Tasker to tie everything together. I will put a few small apps together for things like launching YaV1 at startup in the background and launching/switching to Waze when I go more than 80mph.

I have been using/developing on the Android platform since the very beginning.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:40 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
... Is this system able to integrate the front and rear proximity sensors or overlay the dynamic lines when reversing in camera mode?....
Great idea, but no it does not do that. The guide lines have a few options (on,off, steering input), but the steering input curve doesn't seem to work on our cars either.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review