Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:02 AM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm in too. I realized that I'm getting too good at the 1-4-8 reboot, as I'm doing it almost every time I use the p!g...
WarpedWheel- I have this same issue with my BlueTooth helmet if I try to use it with another BT source powered up. Maybe worth a try to unplug any other bluetooth transmitters in the area.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
There was no option out of the 3 day shipping that I could see.
Spoke with their sales via email this AM and this is correct, only one shipping method so it is what it is, $70 shipping for a 10kg package from China.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WarpedWheel
Ok, I tested it last night and I have sound through the CD/DVD and the radio as well. Still nothing via bluetooth, although it still will control the songs.
Is your phone showing it as a media and phone device?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
Awesome! I just installed the russian firmware. It was already rooted, so installing the revolving porsche boot animation was a breeze.

Hgupta, can you send some pics of how you have the exdialer and contacts setup?
I didn't try the revolving Porsche logo. Can you walk me through it?

I did not sync my address book with this stereo. Instead, I have been putting all my contacts in Google Contacts (just in case I upgrade phones or have two phones).

But basically after installing the contacts app, I went to the settings menu>accounts>Google account, I selected my username> Check contacts sync . It started pulling all my contacts down into the contacts app (including pictures). Then exdialer started populating.

I will try to upload some pics tonight.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Okay, I think I'm giving up waiting for the Avin Avant3 unit. Vaporware. This ticks a majority of the boxes including android, capacitive multi-point screen, Bluetooth, GPS, Camera as well as wifi capable.

The one gigantic factor for me is sound quality. If it's been discussed in the past 12 pages, my apologies. I'd been trying to keep up on this as it happens and I don't recall much talk about it beyond requiring a ground-loop isolator to take out alternator whine.
The 2-digit decimal place on the radio screams cheap Chinese knockoff, but everything else looks pretty good.

How is the sound compared to the PCM when using the Bose equipment? How does it compare to a decent Alpine or Pioneer unit? $600-$700 isn't a great deal of money, but installing this and having poor audio quality will turn this purchase sour for me.

p.s. Kind of giddy about not having to burn CDs to listen to something other than the radio
I thought the sound quality is pretty decent and equivalent to the PCM. I have been playing with the EQ and found some settings that I like. (Push BassF and MiddleF fairly low, and Treble F high.) I'll try to upload some settings that worked for me. I always thought the bass response in our cars suck, especially compared to my wife's Range Rover. I may add a real subwoofer in the future.

I am not sure if it matters, but I read that you should set your EQ flat, and your volume fairly high before pullling the PCM. Perhaps the bose remembers the last setting.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by morrisdl
The Headunit is plug and play. The provided fiberoptic bus BOSE amp interface needs 12v and ground spliced. I also recommend planning on a ground loop isolator and that will also need 12v/ground connections spliced too (same connections).
I also ended up having to run an ACC wire from the fusebox to the radio. Very easy to do. I tapped into the wires that came with the stereo for ground and battery for the bose adapter.

Later, I had a car audio installer install a backup camera and clean up my wiring. The only charged me a $100 to do it all. (Which is cheap considering how hard it is to run camera wire from tailgate all the way to the headunit). I highly recommend the backup camera if you don't already have one.

My ground loop isolator didn't require ground. That surprised me.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta

I did not sync my address book with this stereo. Instead, I have been putting all my contacts in Google Contacts (just in case I upgrade phones or have two phones).

But basically after installing the contacts app, I went to the settings menu>accounts>Google account, I selected my username> Check contacts sync . It started pulling all my contacts down into the contacts app (including pictures). Then exdialer started populating.

I downloaded the Porsche.zip animation from the xda forum, copied and pasted it on the sdcard folder on the unit.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1832261

I installed this app called boot animation from the play store, and just installed it from the app. Reboot and the porsche animation works. You need to root for this, but the russian firmware comes rooted.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:26 AM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downloaded the Porsche.zip animation from the xda forum, copied and pasted it on the sdcard folder on the unit.

I installed this app called boot animation from the play store, and just installed it from the app. Reboot and the porsche animation works. You need to root for this, but the russian firmware comes rooted.
There are several folders for the russian firmware. Which folder should I download?

https://yadi.sk/d/_Z3yjLw6nwj5j
Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Is this the one?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:32 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Okay, I think I'm giving up waiting for the Avin Avant3 unit. Vaporware. This ticks a majority of the boxes including android, capacitive multi-point screen, Bluetooth, GPS, Camera as well as wifi capable.

The one gigantic factor for me is sound quality. If it's been discussed in the past 12 pages, my apologies. I'd been trying to keep up on this as it happens and I don't recall much talk about it beyond requiring a ground-loop isolator to take out alternator whine.
The 2-digit decimal place on the radio screams cheap Chinese knockoff, but everything else looks pretty good.

How is the sound compared to the PCM when using the Bose equipment? How does it compare to a decent Alpine or Pioneer unit? $600-$700 isn't a great deal of money, but installing this and having poor audio quality will turn this purchase sour for me.

p.s. Kind of giddy about not having to burn CDs to listen to something other than the radio
For what it is worth, here is my EQ settings that I currently like. My car is a 2010 model with the Bose system. I would be interested to see others EQ settings as well.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 AM
hgupta
Instructor

I may have also installed this in order to get my contacts sync option in Google account.

Definitely try it along with the people app that I mentioned. Unlike the phone sync, all the contacts look normal (first and last name), and includes addresses so that you can ask Google maps or waze to direct you to their houses.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
The Headunit is plug and play. The provided fiberoptic bus BOSE amp interface needs 12v and ground spliced. I also recommend planning on a ground loop isolator and that will also need 12v/ground connections spliced too (same connections).

I didnt get the mirror link option, but I understand it to be screen mirroring from your phone to the head unit. This would be useful option if you dont plan on getting mifi hotspot for the car. The 3rd option and probably most popular option is just connecting the phone to the head unit via Bluetooth and using the phone screen to select music (just like every other car stereo).

100% agree, once you have driven in a Tesla S and the Cayenne PCM is unacceptable. The PCM2 was barely passable in 2008.

would this ground loop isolator work?

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5.../dp/B001EAQTRI

thanks!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:57 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by williamsonoma
would this ground loop isolator work?

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5.../dp/B001EAQTRI

thanks!
you're going to want one with RCA inputs/outputs.

I bought this one.

I didn't realize installer already added one to my system. He used this one.

I tried them both, and they sounded the same. I think I left mine in there.
I need to get rid of a spare one, along with a spare bose adapter, and some other stuff I posted about previously, so if anyone needs extras (antenna to fakra connectors and other things mentioned in this thread, let me know).
Old 06-30-2016, 01:03 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

For what it is worth, here is my EQ settings that I currently like. My car is a 2010 model with the Bose system. I would be interested to see others EQ settings as well.
That's an interesting EQ setting. Probably balances out some of the odd Bose-i-ness of the factory sound.
Tone is important, but I actually am referring to clarity, staging, and imaging. I've never identified as an audiophile, but on the same token I have difficulty listening to some sources where the sound is harsh, muddy, tinny or degraded.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review