9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought this from amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-Nvigti...car+microphone

Did you reset your system? Apparently the softwares shutting down is a common problem with android.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Can you post a pic of how the microphone was mounted on the rear view mirror? I may do something similar.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the launcher screen if you update the firmware:
Old 06-23-2016, 10:46 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by hgupta

Here is the launcher screen if you update the firmware:
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to add or adjust widgets to their launcher homescreen.

I actually like the radio widget on their screen, but their MP3 widget sucks. No album art

I am going back to Google launcher for now.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
Can you post a pic of how the microphone was mounted on the rear view mirror? I may do something similar.

microphone that came with it

My microphone mounted to the window. This picture is focused on it, but you really don't notice it. And it seems to pick up all my google voice commands.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Cool, thats where I am planning on putting the microphone as well.

I wonder how you can add the radio widget on the google now launcher. I dont see it in the list.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Cool, thats where I am planning on putting the microphone as well.

I wonder how you can add the radio widget on the google now launcher. I dont see it in the list.
I tried as well. I am sure there is a way.

I also would like to know how to root this thing too.

I actually have a few more tweaks I want to do.
Currently trying to get Calendar working. It's not syncing my google calendar anymore. It was nice when Waze was asking me if I wanted directions to the next appointment. I also really want to get real contacts app working. Exdialer does a good job of dialing numbers, but the contacts all looked jumbled. Finally, I want my notifications from my phone to show up on the screen. Older versions of pushbullet do this. That way, I don't need to pull my phone out of my pocket to see notifications.

I am definitely loving it. I need more space for apps though! Also, I made the mistake of letting my toddler watch his show on it on the way to daycare one day. He was craning his neck from his car seat. Now he asks everytime he gets in the car if he can watch Mickey Mouse on it. D'oh!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Shark1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this from amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-Nvigti...car+microphone

Did you reset your system? Apparently the softwares shutting down is a common problem with android.
The mic male plug is a 2.5mm? I thought it was a 3.5mm
Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I tried as well. I am sure there is a way.

Currently trying to get Calendar working. It's not syncing my google calendar anymore. It was nice when Waze was asking me if I wanted directions to the next appointment. I also really want to get real contacts app working. Exdialer does a good job of dialing numbers, but the contacts all looked jumbled. !
Finally got Calendar and Google Play Music working again. There is a problem with the Google Play Services app that was included with our system. If you run into problems with Google play services, use ES file explorer to uninstall play services app, and then reinstall the latest version from APKmirror. I think the one I used was "com.google.android.gms_9.0.83_(836-121911109)-9083836_minAPI19(armeabi-v7a)(320dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

After a lot of trial and error, I also finally got my contacts loaded into it. I used this app to pull them into the system from my google account, (be sure to turn on sync in the settings app ) and then Ex-dialer is used to place calls. Its nice not having to pull my phone out to find an address or make a call now.

Last edited by hgupta; 06-25-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:14 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Looks like I got it rooted! If you are going to do it, use Kingroot v.4.5 with internet access but no apps running. Our device is basically the same as the one on this XDA thread.

Why root? I am hoping to do the folllowing by rooting:
1) change boot animation
2) install accessibility services so that Autovoice can directly interact with Google Now
3) Add a reboot option! I don't want to have to pull the stereo again to reboot. This did already work for me with Quick boot.
4) Backup everything with Titanium Backup.
5) Connect Harddrive with more videos and music
Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Anyone willing to try the IQ Navi firmware on it? I see that it works... This company is selling it with it preinstalled. Looks impressive.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Anyone willing to try the IQ Navi firmware on it?
Okay, I bit the bullet and installed the firmware from here. Best thing I ever did with it (so far) Don't bother rooting and all the other things I did above. I understand this firmware includes root. And a lot of very nice features. So far, everything is working as I expected, and all my apps and settings remained the same. Music app now looks awesome with full album art in the background. So does radio. They are no longer embarrassments. There's even a widget for the radio!

I'll get some screenshots shortly.

Last edited by hgupta; 06-26-2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-26-2016, 09:15 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Okay, I bit the bullet and installed the firmware from here. Best thing I ever did with it (so far) Don't bother rooting and all the other things I did above. I understand this firmware includes root. And a lot of very nice features. So far, everything is working as I expected, and all my apps and settings remained the same. Music app now looks awesome with full album art in the background. So does radio. They are no longer embarrassments. There's even a widget for the radio!

I'll get some screenshots shortly.
Screenshots!

If you do the firmware upgrade, make sure you know what the icon for language and input looks like. Your system will boot in Russian, and you have to find your way back to this section to change language back to your preferred.

Last edited by hgupta; 06-26-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:39 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

If you do the firmware upgrade, make sure you know what the icon for language and input looks like. Your system will boot in Russian, and you have to find your way back to this section to change language back to your preferred.
Luckily my wife is Russian

Seriously, I'm sold. But I'm going to be 50 this year, and stressed as hell, have a very full plate and can't afford the time or the brain cells to screw with all the testing. I also don't want to order my unit from Russia, I don't think. I'd rather order it from China and install this update.

So I need to build a faq here on what needs to happen to get to this point. Looks like I get the head unit and a few options for the CANBUS and OBD2 etc from the manufacturer and we source a few other items like a better GPS antenna, mic, apparently a ground loop isolator whatever that is, etc. Get it all installed and working and then update the software from this Russian outfit? Is that it, done, complete? I really just need this to work and not give me fits, so is this the winning formula?

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review