Sponsored by:

21" wheels without wheel arch extensions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 21" wheels without wheel arch extensions

Is anyone running the 295/35R21 wheels without wheel arch extensions on a 957? Do the wheels come out? Does anyone have pictures? If yes, what about the 20" wheels like i.e Sport Techno, same problem?

Installing wheel arch extensions would be a terribly expensive job with painting etc... unless you go for a "transsyberia look" and put the black unpainted ones:

(Not my pic, found it online)

Last edited by Torre; 03-05-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 21" w/o extensions. Doesn't stick out.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
I run 21" w/o extensions. Doesn't stick out.
Thanks! you drive a 958? I just edited my first post as I obviously did not mention the model if my car.

Pics are welcome too. I've seen a 955 without the extensions on (OEM) 21" and they where sticking out, however I don't know if it had spacers or not.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have a 2015 958.2.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:11 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong guys,.... but I understood the wheel arch extensions only protrude outwards from the standard metal fender lip.

In other words the inside lip of the metal fender is in the exact same place (with regard to the tire/rim), no matter whether it was ordered with or without arch extensions.

The purpose of the arch extensions is to prevent road grime/debris/gravel from shooting down the side of the Cayenne & hitting the paint on your doors or rear quarter.

So it should not make a difference whether you have them or not Torre.

The most important factor will be the ET offset on the rims you choose.

Btw, I have the arch extensions on my 958.1, and they are essentially a bolt on. Could be different for your 957. So don't take my word as gospel.

Although now that I am RE-reading your OP,.. you don't actually say what you are most concerned about.... tires hitting your fender upon suspension compression,... or just sticking out.

Plus, you didn't say specifically whether you are buying new rims? or just new tires? If it is just new tires, and you are keeping the same rims, and your offset is not changing, then you would have no problem bumping up to a 295/35. but if you are bumping up to a 20" or 21", then I would assume you are buying new rims. In which case, your questions should state whether you want to keep the same ET offset that you have now.

Hope this helps,
=Steve
Old 03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Correct me if I am wrong guys,.... but I understood the wheel arch extensions only protrude outwards from the standard metal fender lip.

In other words the inside lip of the metal fender is in the exact same place (with regard to the tire/rim), no matter whether it was ordered with or without arch extensions.

The purpose of the arch extensions is to prevent road grime/debris/gravel from shooting down the side of the Cayenne & hitting the paint on your doors or rear quarter.

So it should not make a difference whether you have them or not Torre.

The most important factor will be the ET offset on the rims you choose.

Btw, I have the arch extensions on my 958.1, and they are essentially a bolt on. Could be different for your 957. So don't take my word as gospel.

Although now that I am RE-reading your OP,.. you don't actually say what you are most concerned about.... tires hitting your fender upon suspension compression,... or just sticking out.

Plus, you didn't say specifically whether you are buying new rims? or just new tires? If it is just new tires, and you are keeping the same rims, and your offset is not changing, then you would have no problem bumping up to a 295/35. but if you are bumping up to a 20" or 21", then I would assume you are buying new rims. In which case, your questions should state whether you want to keep the same ET offset that you have now.

Hope this helps,
=Steve
Yes, so if it was not clear from my initial post - I am not concerned that they won't fit, just that they will stick out from the fenders and look stupid without the extensions.

Last edited by Torre; 03-05-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

And if you are buying new rims,... then you need only be concerned with your offset.

unless of course, you are thinking of going with 12" or wider rims!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by bweSteve
And if you are buying new rims,... then you need only be concerned with your offset.

unless of course, you are thinking of going with 12" or wider rims!!!
I'm considering the OEM GTS wheels used, or new Eta Beta Venti R's. Both are ET50. Been looking at 21" BBS CH-R2 as well which cost the same, but they are ET47 so the would come out more.

Venti-R kinda has the look of the OEM Sport Plus wheels.

CH-R2

What I am trying to find out is just if I need to have the extensions installed or not. I do not want the wheels to stick out of the arches.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Torre
Racer

Might have found the answer myself thanks to rennlist member EMC2's picture: They do stick out, at least the ET45 Sport Plus wheels, the ET50's like the GTS wheel maybe slightly less.

Quick Reply: 21" wheels without wheel arch extensions