Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to know to fulfill my mission WRT a Cayenne?

Old 01-31-2016, 04:09 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default What do I need to know to fulfill my mission WRT a Cayenne?

Not my first goat roping. Prev Porsches; 914s, 911 air, 928s, 968, and current 996 Mk1.

We own property in the Rocky mtns at >8000'. We need a car in winter often and traverse winding mtn roads with it. I ski and don't like to be worried about getting there or getting out. Have been using a Dodge truck, and an AWD Saturn SUV. Sold the Saturn, truck uses a lot of gas and is awkward to drive. I wanted some kind of Pac rim AWD wagon, wife would like something with a bit more presence.

So, we are looking at an MB R500 or the Cayenne. I don't care for the horror stories about the balance shaft and air ride in the MB as well as some trans issues, so I thought I'd look at the Cayenne family.

I'm aware of the coolant pipe deal, and will be mindful to get one with the metal pipes already done. Beyond that, and AWD, what else should I look for? Not interested in turbos, or other high priced options, except AWD.

Budget is a hard $10k, no exceptions.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

8000 feet you want something with a turbo IMO. Most NA engines will be feeling gutless at that elevation. If your budget is firm I wouldn't go for a cayenne. But it sounds like you are against that...

Even if you pick up a CS for $10k you will spend a few grand on it. What about a first gen turbo Acura rdx? They are sporty and turbo charged and pacific rim.

Another option is a W163 ML. You can get ml55's for $5-8k now. I had an ml430 with oversized tires and it was great off road and comfortable on road.

Last option I would mention is a 2007-08 BMW X3. They are great snow cars.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that you want a turbo at that altitude. $10k will not get you a CTT that you will likely be happy with as it will likely need things like the pipes and carden shaft as well as other things. Think of a 10k turbo like a 7-10k 996.

Something else to consider since you are talking about winter driving, the CS has a similar bore scoring issue that you've read about in the 996 forum. The CTT is less likely to see it as it has a different oiling system for the pistons.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Not my first goat roping. Prev Porsches; 914s, 911 air, 928s, 968, and current 996 Mk1.

We own property in the Rocky mtns at >8000'. We need a car in winter often and traverse winding mtn roads with it. I ski and don't like to be worried about getting there or getting out. Have been using a Dodge truck, and an AWD Saturn SUV. Sold the Saturn, truck uses a lot of gas and is awkward to drive. I wanted some kind of Pac rim AWD wagon, wife would like something with a bit more presence.

So, we are looking at an MB R500 or the Cayenne. I don't care for the horror stories about the balance shaft and air ride in the MB as well as some trans issues, so I thought I'd look at the Cayenne family.

I'm aware of the coolant pipe deal, and will be mindful to get one with the metal pipes already done. Beyond that, and AWD, what else should I look for? Not interested in turbos, or other high priced options, except AWD.

Budget is a hard $10k, no exceptions.
I would not suggest a Cayenne for you. If you're not interested in the Turbo, then you'll be getting an S, which has a scored cylinder problem in cold climates.

Look at a Touareg. Same chassis and running gear as the Cayenne, but with a more bomber Audi V8. Get the first gen as the second gen (2007 and up) has a timing chain problem.

But, be prepared for a lot of DIY work. If you're looking for good AWD transport that isn't much of a problem, you're looking at the wrong car. The list of issues with the Cayenne is lengthy, and expensive. If 10K is your budget, you need to have about 5-7K set aside to get it sorted out, which puts you in a nice Turbo.

First Gen tregs can be had for less than 10K all day long. I used to own one. Much more handsome than the Cayenne, and the interior is much more user friendly. Find an 06 V8 with all the bells and whistles.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:02 PM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curveball for you...

How about an early Landcruiser 100 Series / Lexus LX470. They are very capable and extremely dependable. You will have to do some shopping to get one at $10k but I think it could be done on a higher milage unit.

I have an 05 LX and while it only has 125,000 mile on it I have had no repairs, no breakdowns and I'd not hesitate to put my wife, kids and dog in it and head off to Alaska tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd opt for a gx470 over an lx470 unless i needed a vehicle that size. The gx470 is based on the landcruiser prado and is found all over the third world. Its also quite reliable but a bit more nimble. I'm telling you guys though my 2007 x3 was the best snow car i've ever had.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

$10k will get you a Gen-1 Cayenne S with north of 100k-125k miles.

Lots of weird stuff happens as these things age. Cylinder scoring, electronics, dash displays, Cardan Shafts, front diffs, motor mounts, etc.

At $10k, you will likely being buying one with limited svc history or a neglected example. Setting aside $5k for svc is a realistic number. At that point, get a $15k Cayenne with history and updated maintenance.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2016, 01:16 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the honest advice. Looks like the Cayenne isn't for me for this mission. I'll give a look at a few of the other cars mentioned.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:06 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I think that a Cayenne Turbo is perfect for this mission. The major negative is the high operating costs, in fuel and in repairs. Repairs can be expensive, more so if you don't do your own work. The one place it doesn't answer the mail is in complexity. The less complex a car is, the better it ages; the CTT is complex.

So, if the CTT isn't for you because of the negatives associated with complex vehicles; then be careful not to buy into another equally complex car with different expectations.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I appreciate the honest advice. Looks like the Cayenne isn't for me for this mission. I'll give a look at a few of the other cars mentioned.
Doc,

Here's my $.02 worth of advice. As you know, I live at roughly 8,000 feet of elevation. While I agree with the comments that a turbo would be better, I can tell you that my 2004 Cayenne S performed fine at altitude. It never had any problems driving up the hill to ski. I can also tell you that it was very good in snow when fitted with proper winter tires. Finally, it was a reliable vehicle. We sold it as it approached 150K on the odometer. The main reason we sold it was that we wanted something a little bit newer and something with updated technology.

I did replace the items that are known issues; cardan shaft, horns, coil packs, coolant pipes, etc.

I think a good Cayenne can be found, but it's difficult. Mine was sold with full service records and with all the issues addressed. It would have been in your price range too....

I own an Audi SQ5 now, but my plan is to replace it with another Cayenne when the time comes.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:01 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Hey Dennis, I was wondering if you had one of these. I know the N/A cars would do fine for what I need, but so far I can't find a private party sale that has the coolant pipes, and other maint done in the price range. Pretty much everything is small dealer lots or big dealers with NO clue about the maint history of the cars they sell. Unfortunately, finding a decent candidate has become impossible so I'll keep it on the back burner and look around for other stuff.

We are decidedly not interested in buying a $10k vehicle which needs $4-6k of work within the next 18 months. Even if I were interested in doing my own work, I don't want to take time from my weekend pleasure trips to be wrenching in a cold garage with limited tools and time. I've got my eye on a Lexus LX model right now that hits all my buttons. I particularly like the manual xfer case idea. It's the same xfer case that comes on the Suzuki! But the appointments in the car, and the engine are upgraded from the cheaper Pac rim vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do I need to know to fulfill my mission WRT a Cayenne?