Curious brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:06 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Curious brake light issue

2006 Cayenne S

Boys and girls, I've got a curious issue with my wife's Cayenne. I'm getting a "check rear brake lights" message on the display. The brakes work fine and the center brake light bar functions properly. However, the rear brake lights don't function. I'm getting the code(s), 0987 Left Brake Light and 0988 Right Brake Light. I recently changed the transmission fluid/filter and it shifts just fine. The only reason I mention the tranny is the code numbers through a google search indicated tranny fluid pressure issues although my scanner says brakes as above

I've read that it could be a fuse, which clearly is an easy fix. Also, I could simply try replacing the bulbs, but what are the odds of both going simultaneously? Pretty odd...

Whaddaya you think?
Old 11-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts

Disconnect the battery ground at the front driver's seat. You can do this with just the nut and don't need to lift the seat. Leave it disconnected for 10 minutes then reconnect. That will reset the bulb control module and might restore the brake function with these cars sometimes when they log a bulb error, they cut power to that circuit until the module is reset.

If that doesn't work, replace both rear brake light bulbs at the same time so the resistance is the same on both sides (BTW, the 928 is very sensitive to this).
The following users liked this post:
fast_freddy (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:30 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Disconnect the battery ground at the front driver's seat. You can do this with just the nut and don't need to lift the seat. Leave it disconnected for 10 minutes then reconnect. That will reset the bulb control module and might restore the brake function with these cars sometimes when they log a bulb error, they cut power to that circuit until the module is reset.

If that doesn't work, replace both rear brake light bulbs at the same time so the resistance is the same on both sides (BTW, the 928 is very sensitive to this).
I'll give it a shot tonight. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2021, 05:13 PM
quight
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would first check the obvious fuses and bulbs before resetting computers. Both the high brake and side brake lights are co trolled by the rear comfort module. If the high brake light works, the module input is ok, and everything before it. Your issue is on the side light cct (which is seperate from the high light). So its either power supply (fuses), the relay within the controller, or an issue on the output side. Fuse is the easiest to check
The following users liked this post:
fast_freddy (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 12:35 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Did the 10 minute disconnect negative ground trick. Bupkis. I'll do the fuse trick then the bulb trick. Hopefully either will work. Daylight is the lacking commodity for me now as I've been putting in 70 hour weeks lately and the only time I've got is after 9:30PM and no garage space until a week or so from now.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:14 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

No joy thus far. I checked the fuse, as far as I can tell it's fuse #38 (10 amp) on the left side (drivers - I assume) and there was nothing there. I slotted a 10 amper in there. Nothing. Perhaps it's the other side. Gonna try the bulbs and check out the other side tomorrow.Fingers crossed.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:01 AM
quight
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
No joy thus far. I checked the fuse, as far as I can tell it's fuse #38 (10 amp) on the left side (drivers - I assume) and there was nothing there. I slotted a 10 amper in there. Nothing. Perhaps it's the other side. Gonna try the bulbs and check out the other side tomorrow.Fingers crossed.
Are you looking at the first entry for the left side fuse block or the second? Attention to detail is kept to the factory floor apparently. The user manual has the right side fuse block also labeled as the left. The second 'left' fuse block is on the right side of the car

Quick Reply: Curious brake light issue