Sponsored by:

Replacing Bose speakers/Aux?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:05 PM
flblue
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Bose speakers/Aux?

2008 Turbo with Bose speakers. I have used the search function for my issues and some of the threads are 4-5 years old and with new technology coming out all the time I was wondering if/what the best speakers are that will replace the Bose ie plug and play without any mods. I'm not sure I want to get into changing the head unit, installing new amps/wires for the speakers and sub etc. Seems that would be a lot more $, a big pain and you lose some dash read outs. BUT if that's the way to go I may have to go that route.

The Bose isn't a bad sounding system I just think better speakers would get it where it needs to be. I have read they have to be a particular OHMS output.

Also, if I don't change the head unit what is the best way to get Bluetooth/ Bluetooth music streamed to the stock unit or to get AUX jack to plug into?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bose speakers are not std 4 or 8 ohm impedance; their car speakers are reportedly very low ~ 1 ohm, "reportedly" because Bose considers specs to be proprietary info. You might experiment with 4 ohm speakers but be careful not to damage the amp.

Last edited by DWPC; 01-14-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My NA engine and exhaust sound better than my audio system ... so I don't listen to audio while driving. lol

I used to like Bose for many years when I think they tend to sound "thin" with mid and low frequencies lacking "umph" needing high volume levels to compensate. I'd recommend visiting a high-end auto audio retail shop and same a few alternatives to Bose.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Flblue,

I also own a 2008 CTT with the Bose sound. My car came with the original iPod/aux adapter. It uses the radio function in the head unit for an "Aux" position. I plug the phone directly to the Aux, and it works as a hands-free device (sound comes out thru the speakers, the phone mic is used). This works with an iPhone, I don't know if it works with other phones.

It will not provide the best sound, but it is much better (and safer) than driving with the phone in your hands.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:40 PM
flblue
Track Day

Originally Posted by Agustin AC
Flblue,

I also own a 2008 CTT with the Bose sound. My car came with the original iPod/aux adapter. It uses the radio function in the head unit for an "Aux" position. I plug the phone directly to the Aux, and it works as a hands-free device (sound comes out thru the speakers, the phone mic is used). This works with an iPhone, I don't know if it works with other phones.

It will not provide the best sound, but it is much better (and safer) than driving with the phone in your hands.
Where is the AUX adapter located? I don't think mine has it so I assume it was an option?
Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

In the Center Console, lower part.

Suncoast sells it: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/OEMKIT.html
Old 04-17-2019, 10:51 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Thought I'd give this a bump.

I have a 9" android head unit with the MOST adapter, have added a great subwoofer, but am considering a full replacement of the rest of the system, speakers and amp. Anyone have any recommendations on speakers? Any stories from anyone who's done this? If so, where did you position your amp?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Because Bose uses its own non-standard speaker impedance; replacing them with standard 4/8 ohm speakers may fry the amp. The MOST fiber optic digital bus is the roadblock that severely limits options. OTOH, there's not much point in getting too **** about auto sound systems since there's always ambient noise, except the Bose bass/sub really is muddy as hell. Bose sound is kind of a joke in audiophile circles.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWPC
Because Bose uses its own non-standard speaker impedance; replacing them with standard 4/8 ohm speakers may fry the amp. The MOST fiber optic digital bus is the roadblock that severely limits options. OTOH, there's not much point in getting too **** about auto sound systems since there's always ambient noise, except the Bose bass/sub really is muddy as hell. Bose sound is kind of a joke in audiophile circles.
I'm perfectly willing to rip out the stock amp as well, replace all the wiring, etc. In fact that's what I'm hoping to hear, from other people who have done just this. I'm looking to replace all speakers, amp, wiring. Interested in similar experiences, speaker sizes, recommended amps and locations, etc.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Before you rip out the speakers and you are willing to replace both head unit and amp, run the rca cables from front to rear, you may be surprised by what the Bose speakers can do.

I followed a pelican parts thread to install a pioneer car play headunit and an alpine amp using the Bose speakers. See below.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...mp-way-do.html

It took a while to do, but the real improvement came after I tuned the system using a pink noise generator and a spectrum analyzer to equalize the sound profile.

With that done and the gains set, the audio system sounds a lot better than when I had the factory Bose system. No more muddy bass and weird high frequency nonsense. I have yet to add back a sub, so improvements are still there to be had.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Travis; 04-20-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:22 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis
Before you rip out the speakers and you are willing to replace both head unit and amp, run the rca cables from front to rear, you may be surprised by what the Bose speakers can do.

I followed a pelican parts thread to install a pioneer car play headunit and an alpine amp using the Bose speakers. See below.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...mp-way-do.html

It took a while to do, but the real improvement came after I tuned the system using a pink noise generator and a spectrum analyzer to equalize the sound profile.

With that done and the gains set, the audio system sounds a lot better than when I had the factory Bose system. No more muddy bass and weird high frequency nonsense. I have yet to add back a sub, so improvements are still there to be had.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. While the bose speakers could sound better, it's the lack of power that bothers me the most. I have the upgraded head unit, powered subwoofer. I like sound coming from the right rear quadrant and when I get the balance/fade I like, it's not loud enough. If I'm upgrading the amp, at that point I might as well upgrade the speakers, am I right? Doesn't sound like many people have done it though.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Thanks. While the bose speakers could sound better, it's the lack of power that bothers me the most. I have the upgraded head unit, powered subwoofer. I like sound coming from the right rear quadrant and when I get the balance/fade I like, it's not loud enough. If I'm upgrading the amp, at that point I might as well upgrade the speakers, am I right? Doesn't sound like many people have done it though.
So I dealt with this by adding a small amp for just the rears, I posted a thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...rk-around.html

Basically I used the stock amp with an aftermarket head for everything except the rears, which I drive off a 2 channel Nakamichi PA-202. Super easy and it sounds great. So much that I have stopped messing with it and just enjoy it these days. Although I am watching for a used set of Focal 2 ohm speakers to replace the ones in the rear doors; I think that will make it complete. Well, complete until getting a 6 (or 8) channel JL and replacing the whole amp, and then all the speakers for Focal's….
Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You're right the factory Bose amp isn't great has some weird frequency boosting going on.

I did replace the Bose amp with an Alpine 4X100 RMS amp. It's a much cleaner sound and the boominess of the Bose amp is gone. I prefer a sound stage in front of me so the config the Marcone detailed in the pelican forum works for me.

The speakers in the right rear are pretty small compared to the front doors so they won't make as much sound. That may be reason enough for you to replace speakers and amp to get the sound you are looking for.

There's was one very impressive build last year published here that appears to have been one of those 'spare no expense type installs' by 12v Nick if you haven't seen that. Super nice build, but ultimately way more than I would ever need.

2006 TTS - Reference Audio Upgrade
Old 10-19-2019, 02:32 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

probably better to just buy the factory units. Matched to the system and much more easily replaced PLUS they are not that expensive. That is what we recommend and sell
Old 03-07-2023, 09:40 PM
Kanrev
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgRockJunkie
Thought I'd give this a bump.

I have a 9" android head unit with the MOST adapter, have added a great subwoofer, but am considering a full replacement of the rest of the system, speakers and amp. Anyone have any recommendations on speakers? Any stories from anyone who's done this? If so, where did you position your amp?
Did you add a new amp with your subwoofer replacement?

Quick Reply: Replacing Bose speakers/Aux?