Misfire: Comprehensive Checks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:25 AM
stone312
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire: Comprehensive Checks

Hello,
I have a 2010 Porsche Cayenne S. I have had recurring cylinder misfire problems. I am writing here to ask for advice and hopefully provide guidance for any other people with similar problems.

Question:
Would a good independent mechanic have all the tools to detect the source of the problem or should I go to the dealer? Do you have any advice on what I should ask them to do?

Problem:
2010 Porsche Cayenne S with 45000 miles on it. After I changed spark plugs at 40k as a recommended service, cylinder 3 had a misfire. The independent mechanic changed the coil. He said electrical problems are generally isolated and most likely that individual coil is the only one with problems. What I found surprising is that he didn't have any tools to check whether the coil was malfunctioning. He just assumed the coil was the problem.

Later I had a misfire at cylinder 5 that would go and come back. The Porsche dealer changed the coil on cylinder 5.
After 300 miles, the cylinder 5 has another misfire.
I would like to get to the bottom of this.

I have read through many forums and websites. Here are the recommended checks if you have an engine misfire. If anyone would like to comment about them or tell us how much they cost or how useful they would be, it might be helpful as well. I don't know what some of these items mean, so I would welcome any corrections as well.

Replace spark plugs
Switch/Replace/Disconnect coils and see if the problem moves/disappears/stays the same
Check if the spark plugs are fouled (oil or carbon fouled)
Switch Petrol injectors
Check Fuel Pumps
Check for fuel leaks around the injectors and fuel rail
Replace Inlet Manifold Gaskets
Valve Issues
Schrader Valve Leaks
Clean Cam Sensors
Compression Test
Borescope check - Scored Cylinder
Borescope Check - Scored Cylinder #5 problem on Cayennes

Many thanks,

Quick Reply: Misfire: Comprehensive Checks