Sponsored by:

2008 Cayenne Fuel Smell in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Cayenne Fuel Smell in Cabin

I must not know how to search real well because all I've found is, "This is a common problem on the '08s and theres a number of TSBs about it- is the car they sold me an '09 really an '08?" and searching about how to tell if the VIN is an '08 or '09 (by the way I'm 100% sure mine is an 08)

If its a common problem, I feel like I should be finding a lot about it, and if there are a number of TSB's on it, I'm sure not finding them on google or rennlist search...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

My wife's cayenne ('08), the smell of gas is fairly strong upon cold startup through the vents. If driving it for a few minutes it dies down but is still somewhat evident. Its worse with heat, and barely noticeable with AC (which doesn't make sense to me because that sounds like a coolant heater core concern and not an engine bay gas leak).. We get occasional wiffs under the hood, but it doesn't seem stronger when revving. No fuel leaks to our knowledge, however it has literally been raining since christmas and we first smelled it yesterday.

I know gas smells are very concerning. At first I thought it was just the EFI system at startup because my wife said it was only when the car starts. That didn't concern me because I figured she backs up out the driveway + cold cat = gas smell in car. However, we drove the car tonight and it was still evident.

Once again, I believe this has been addressed and I really can't figure out why I can't find anything on it. I DID find RECALL NO. A803. which is the fuel line in plenum panel area may cause a leak. However, since it was bought as a CPO from Porsche in '10, I can only presume they completed the recall. I checked the VIN on Porsche's recall page and it says no open recalls for this vehicle, so hopefully that confirms it.

I found some TSB about part number 955 110 235 01, but the TSB number stated was "D76" and NHTSA 10025182 which doesn't seem to equate to anything related to a 08 cayenne... it looks like its related to '06 fuel hoses... but possibly still related.

Any help appreciated!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It may be this:

http://youtu.be/py1ANuaxNAE

It's a common problem with the Ceyenne and Audi Q7. Essentially the fuel pump is leaking and you have vapors coming into the cabin from under the left rear seat. Pretty annoying job to do. You can find the DIY on PelicanParts website or maybe it's covered by your warranty.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:19 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Fuel Filter Flange under rear left passenger seat is failing/cracked. Postponing this fix will only lead to a full-blown, squirting leak. When this happens - fuel under high pressure will shoot out the plastic dome and send raw fuel heading straight towards your hot exhaust, while running.

Part is cheap and labor is a DIY fix.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 AM
arachnyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both... I'll order the parts, take the cayenne off the road, and hopefully get it fixed this weekend.

Thank you!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by arachnyd
Thank you both... I'll order the parts, take the cayenne off the road, and hopefully get it fixed this weekend.

Thank you!
Be sure you have everything needed tool wise including triple squares and a breaker bar. The bolts holding the seat belt anchors had a ton of locktite blue on mine and the breaker bar was a big help. If you have an impact gun, your golden. Also the little plastic clips and gaskets are probably very brittle. Mine broke. I did not have any spares and so far it has not "unclipped" itself. I took my time and think it was 2-2.5 hours.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:06 PM
scottl951
Formerly 'slevy951'
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Get a big blanket or something to cover your carpets, something you won't mind getting gas on. Run the car until almost empty. THere are tutorials on this out there in the interwebs. Smell is usually by left rear door, like as your walking up on the car. Wait, aren't '08's direct injected? Isn't there a high pressure pump by the rear of the motor?

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayenne Fuel Smell in Cabin