Sponsored by:

Hot oil smell in cabin when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Hot oil smell in cabin when stopped

I have a new issue cropping up. Seems like I can detect the smell of hot oil coming into the cabin when stopping, even after a short drive. The smell is distinct and goes away when moving. I don't really smell it outside the car, even in the garage after a commute. Oil consumption is still about a quart over 5 or 6 gas fills - unchanged. When I first noticed I figured it was just something coming in from traffic so I replaced the cabin filter - no change. I've smelled it when stopping in the driveway, then got out and no smell outside.

Anyone else have this happen? Ideas?

04TT ~160k miles
Old 12-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
I have a new issue cropping up. Seems like I can detect the smell of hot oil coming into the cabin when stopping, even after a short drive. The smell is distinct and goes away when moving. I don't really smell it outside the car, even in the garage after a commute. Oil consumption is still about a quart over 5 or 6 gas fills - unchanged. When I first noticed I figured it was just something coming in from traffic so I replaced the cabin filter - no change. I've smelled it when stopping in the driveway, then got out and no smell outside.

Anyone else have this happen? Ideas?

04TT ~160k miles
Years ago I experienced this odor of hot oil in the cabin of my new Mustang GT. The source was a leaking camshaft cover which allowed oil to drip down on a hot exhaust manifold. The fumes were pulled out of the engine compartment by the cabin air intake at the base of the windshield.

Might mention at one point this got so bad -- the leak -- I spotted oil vapor wafting out from under the hood and coming from under the front wheel well. I turned around and drove the car back to the dealer and parked it right in front of the service department entrance. The thing was smoking quite heavily and I was hoping it would burst into flames. (By this time I had had the car in for this probably a half a dozen times.)

For all the leak events, there were no oil spots on the ground nor any oil leak sign in the engine compartment. The leak only happened once the engine was warm and the oil dripping down on the hot manifold was evaporated. About the time the manifold cooled down the leak stopped too.

The first time I had the car in for this odor the SA inspected the engine and engine compartment and noticed a stain on the exhaust manifold from the oil dripping down on it and OK'd the repair of the car under warranty.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:56 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same issue recently on my 2003 CT with the same mileage as yours Rubber duck.
Had my camshaft cover gaskets replaced.
No more oil smell.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:30 PM
nguyenaq
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to change your valve cover gasket(s). Check both sides to see if you see any oil seeping. If so, you have your answer.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:45 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up guys! This is why this forum rocks.

Quick Reply: Hot oil smell in cabin when stopped