Sponsored by:

Manual release for rear glass hatch on trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:01 PM
bobo83
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual release for rear glass hatch on trunk

I've been having issues with my rear wiper recently, it just stopped working all together. When I listen to the motor, I can hear it click, however, it does not activate the rear wiper. I can manually move the rear wiper, so I think it is just the motor that has died.

I was going to replace the rear wiper motor, however, the DIY requires that I am able to open up the rear glass hatch to access the motor underneath. This would be fine and dandy except that the rear window will not open. I press the microswitch underneath and I can hear it release, or it sounds like its releasing, yet the window does not pop up. I've tried using the remote, but it opens the whole lift gate.

Does anyone have any idea of how to manually open the glass so I can replace the microswitch and the wiper motor?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bobo83
I've been having issues with my rear wiper recently, it just stopped working all together. When I listen to the motor, I can hear it click, however, it does not activate the rear wiper. I can manually move the rear wiper, so I think it is just the motor that has died.

I was going to replace the rear wiper motor, however, the DIY requires that I am able to open up the rear glass hatch to access the motor underneath. This would be fine and dandy except that the rear window will not open. I press the microswitch underneath and I can hear it release, or it sounds like its releasing, yet the window does not pop up. I've tried using the remote, but it opens the whole lift gate.

Does anyone have any idea of how to manually open the glass so I can replace the microswitch and the wiper motor?
Are you sure it opens? It's fixed on my 2015. what model year are you asking about?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:19 PM
bobo83
Intermediate

It's a 2008 Cayenne S...
Old 11-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have moveable glass.

Good chance the catch has gotten a little out of position (they are threaded so can adjust). Paradoxically, try pushing down on the glass and holding just to the left of the switch and see if that relieves some pressure on the catch while trying to open. Don't put too much pressure, the glass will flex a little.

Can open the whole back hatch and there is a cover than will snap off near the switch as well and might be able to get a better view of what's going on. Silicone spray the **** out of it.

Otherwise it could easily be the switch itself. They are notorious and suncoast among others have replacement.

Not sure there is a specific manual release anywhere for the glass.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:12 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the same issue. Are you sure there is no manual release? I think when I was replacing the wiper arm I may have disconnected the micro switch on accident as there as a lot of corrosion and had to pull pretty hard. Now I can't get the window to open to replace the switch, which I already have.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

The power actuator that releases the back glass is built into the lift gate. As Lionworks Auto mentioned there is a U shaped cover directly behind the glass latch. If you pop the cover you may be able to release it with needle nose piers or spray as he suggested.

If its not the switch, it was not on my 04S, the actuator will need to be repleced.

Used actuators are available online in the $50 to $75 range.
https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...***%20actuator

Since I used the glass infrequently the fix was reserved for the next owner.

Last edited by v10rick; 04-27-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured out how to release the glass before you posted this. I removed the u-shaped trim and then depressed the latch with a tiny flat head. After taking the switch apart I noticed that the electrical connection on the male plug that connects the micro switch plug is corroded and disconnected. Now I need to source a male electrical plug. I've tried to search for it but cannot find the correct model. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
I figured out how to release the glass before you posted this. I removed the u-shaped trim and then depressed the latch with a tiny flat head. After taking the switch apart I noticed that the electrical connection on the male plug that connects the micro switch plug is corroded and disconnected. Now I need to source a male electrical plug. I've tried to search for it but cannot find the correct model. Any suggestions?
I posted a reply on your other thread.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:42 AM
kjbu
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
I had the same corrosion. Removed plugs and soldered wires directly together. Problem solved. If I have to change release-mechanism in future i must cut the wires and resolder them again after replacement.

Quick Reply: Manual release for rear glass hatch on trunk