Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Housing leak 09 GTS

Old 07-18-2017, 05:50 AM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the car yesterday after 450 miles since the repair.
No oildrops so far at the screws, where they always appeared first, only a tiny amount of oil at the oilfliter housing.
But this was dark, brown oil, so i guess it's from the old, remaining oil that couldn't be cleaned off out of all the corners at the repair.
The car got fresh oil too, so if it would still leak now the oil should be golden, not dark brown. I check back after some more miles.
Alex
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

Meanwhile i checked the car again.
Dry at the oilfilter now.
But on the left side i detected a drop at the most forward placed screw again (under the servo pump). The other screws are still dry.
Since the retightening seems to work on the other screws, i got myself a pair of new screws now and try to change the wet one, since the aluminium screws loose tension by time, so maybe the retightening didn't work with this screw.

I got the factory torque settings now, but still don't know what the dealer did for retightening.
The M6 Alu screws need 7 Nm for the best fit (regarding the experts).

Alex
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's possible the oil is migrating down the threads of the screw. The case halves screws on the 997 sometimes have this issue. The fix is to remove and replace them one at a time, adding oil resistant silicone or rtv to the threads when re-installing and re-torquing them.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:21 PM
Tahoedon
1st Gear

Default Oil pan cooler lek

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
I'm thinking I will just get the oil changed this time and keep an eye on it before the next oil change. I did 2 long road trips- 1,200 mi and 2,000 mi after the last oil change. I wonder if the long drives were part of the reason for the leak. Any other 957 GTS owners run into this issue?
I have had this problem since about 125k miles on my 09cayenne gts. Lower plastic guard plate catches the oil...it has never left drops on the floor! Car now has 189k miles and I have to add a half quart of oil every 3 or 4k miles. The warning display lets me know when I have to check the oil level, so I don't care to spend almost $$6000.00 for a repair that may or may not fix the problem.
Live with it!
Old 06-28-2021, 08:43 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

My GTS at 80K had had it repaired twice under warranty according to Carfax. Still leaking, but, hey, what's a little $6K repair on a car that's worth $15K? I didn't fix mine either, having no confidence that it would be effective and unwilling to spend that kind of money on a relatively old car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Housing leak 09 GTS