Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Housing leak 09 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted. I am about 4k miles since my last oil change and have not had to add any oil. I'm just going to keep an eye one it. Looking through the service records the lower pan has been resealed twice already. I'm afraid it will just leak again if I decide to fix it.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexF_957GTS
That's how they call a wonderfluid over here in the classic car clubs.
It's called Lecwec and has a high number of users telling it works on sealing engines, trannys and steering, also in older Porsche cars.
I never believed in oil additives untill now, but especially this produkt seems to open chances for help.
Alex, wilkommen im 957 forum!

Personally, I would be extremely hesitant about using any oil additive in my engine; particularly one that claims it will seal small leaks. There are numerous small oil passages and crevices within the engine block and heads where this "magic" material can coagulate and block off.

I'm not familiar with Lecwec products, but I do know that a replacement Porsche short block for the 957 is prohibitively expensive.

On the other hand, If I had a classic '74 Opel that leaked oil like a sieve...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely not add anything to this engine! Let it leak, if it's small. Especially if you aren't adding much oil between changes. Mine was fixed twice under warranty, and continued to leak out of warranty. I gave up on fixing it.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 AM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Alex, wilkommen im 957 forum!

Personally, I would be extremely hesitant about using any oil additive in my engine; particularly one that claims it will seal small leaks. There are numerous small oil passages and crevices within the engine block and heads where this "magic" material can coagulate and block off.

I'm not familiar with Lecwec products, but I do know that a replacement Porsche short block for the 957 is prohibitively expensive.

On the other hand, If I had a classic '74 Opel that leaked oil like a sieve...

Hi Andy, Dankeschön!

Yes, i was also sceptical regarding negative impacts. But then i thought and read more about it. The additive only reacts with rubber/silicon chemically, so as long as an oil passage only consits of metall the additive just passes by (different to watercooling system sealant that reacts with air!). I'll report.

Have those of you, who have the same issue, oildrops on the ground?
I have quite many drops all arround the lower engine parts but none so far on the ground. But i fear it coming to the ground or do they disperse while driving?

Alex
Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 AM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
Keep us posted. I am about 4k miles since my last oil change and have not had to add any oil. I'm just going to keep an eye one it. Looking through the service records the lower pan has been resealed twice already. I'm afraid it will just leak again if I decide to fix it.

My lower oil pan also was reasealed 11k mi ago, but it's still dry.
Alex
Old 05-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 GTS with 85K does not leak nor can I find evidence that it ever did. They don't all leak but hopefully it's not a matter of time either.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Have those of you, who have the same issue, oildrops on the ground?
I have quite many drops all arround the lower engine parts but none so far on the ground.
I've had this issue for almost two years now and not a single drop has touched my driveway. On the other hand, the top of my belly pan has a very soft layer of dried oil; which we have the tech wipe off each and every time the oil is changed.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 AM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

Update:

1. The Lecwec additive didn't work
  2. The car was at the dealer this week. He told me he could retighten many of the screws conneting the upper oil pan with the crankcase.
    This could be the solution, but i don't understand the reason behind this. These are aluminium screws, mounted overelastic. These kind of screws should keep their tension over lifetime.
    ???
Alex
Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Alex,
My experience with retensioning of oil pan gaskets (cork and rubber) usually resulted in a larger and more pronounced leak. You may be opening a can of worms here.... ;-)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 AM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

The dealer told me he did a 100mile testdrive and the gasket remained try, so i cross my fingers .....
Old 07-14-2017, 12:05 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK,
So it's been a year and a half (18k miles) since mine was fixed for the second time. And no leaks (knock on wood)
hoping the time and money spent to do it correctly has made the difference.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

The dealer told me he did a 100mile testdrive and the gasket remained try, so i cross my fingers .....
Interesting, can you find out torque specs they used please.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:40 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I posted a question Dec. 2015 but never received an answer about the difference between the GTS and the other 957 V8 engines.

Why is this primarily a GTS issue?

Removed the belly pan to replace the engine vacuum pump (removing the pan was not helpful) but noticed no oil residue on the pan or anywhere else.

I am using about 1 qt./8K mi. which seems acceptable for this truck with 64K mi.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

I would be very surprised if this oil leak issue is solely related to GTS models however, this thread's title may have something to do with the fact that most of us who've replied to it, do own a GTS. John Veninger owns a CT and he's also experienced oil leaks. My understanding is that most of the V-8's leak some oil.

Regarding oil consumption, all Porsche engines tend to digest some oil here and there; particularly when driving in a 'spirited manner'. When PAG designs, fabricates and supplies us with a special leatherette pouch to store your Mobil 1 oil can, there's a subliminal/liability preventative marketing message somewhere in there...
The following users liked this post:
v10rick (06-26-2021)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:12 PM
AlexF_957GTS
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rossi
Interesting, can you find out torque specs they used please.
They said they used the factory specs, but i don't know the numbers.
Anybody?

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Housing leak 09 GTS