Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to Auto On headlight switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:48 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Upgrading to Auto On headlight switch?

My previous Olds Bravada had headlights that automatically turned on and off through a sensor. Didn't like it at first but now I miss that feature on the Cayenne.

I read a few old posts that seem to imply that upgrading is as easy as purchasing a new switch with the Auto function. I do see sensors behind the rear view mirror.
ECS sells the switch and mentions it's for vehicles with Auto Headlights or for those wanting to add automatic headlights.

Anyone have success in doing this? One post mentioned having to enable the feature with piwis. I'm planning on purchasing a Durametric Enthusiast kit...would that be able to enable features like this instead of paying a dealer to do it?
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-11-2021)
Old 10-26-2015, 10:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
My previous Olds Bravada had headlights that automatically turned on and off through a sensor. Didn't like it at first but now I miss that feature on the Cayenne.

I read a few old posts that seem to imply that upgrading is as easy as purchasing a new switch with the Auto function. I do see sensors behind the rear view mirror.
ECS sells the switch and mentions it's for vehicles with Auto Headlights or for those wanting to add automatic headlights.

Anyone have success in doing this? One post mentioned having to enable the feature with piwis. I'm planning on purchasing a Durametric Enthusiast kit...would that be able to enable features like this instead of paying a dealer to do it?
The Durametric Enthusiast version has very little to no programming capabilities so if you get a positive response to your main question, I think you'll be dependent on the dealer for PIWIS programming.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

My understanding is that there is a wiring harness difference between the auto and "non-auto" headlights.

Retrofitting them is supposedly "not easy".

Thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...6-cayenne.html
Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had 2 Cayennes now. A 2006 S and a 2005 turbo. Both were "plug and play" with the upgraded "auto on" light switch. it takes 5 minutes and no coding. ymmv.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:57 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
My understanding is that there is a wiring harness difference between the auto and "non-auto" headlights.

Retrofitting them is supposedly "not easy".

Thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...6-cayenne.html
Thanks for that link!

I read through all 17 pages and it appears to have a very good success rate of being plug n' play on the 955. Not so on the '08 on up.
$70 switch that was a $610 option.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:59 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IslandS52
I have had 2 Cayennes now. A 2006 S and a 2005 turbo. Both were "plug and play" with the upgraded "auto on" light switch. it takes 5 minutes and no coding. ymmv.
That's what I want to hear.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:30 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Dang… I bought from fcp euro, quick plug and play, and…. No auto function. They come on with “on” but not auto in the dark… which was the whole point.

Do you have any suggestions for coding changes with the PIWIS I might try?
Old 03-01-2023, 09:11 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Dang… I bought from fcp euro, quick plug and play, and…. No auto function. They come on with “on” but not auto in the dark… which was the whole point.

You probably just need the correct sensor. Read my follow up here (post 289):
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...cayenne-5.html
No programming was needed on my '04. You can usually find the sensor dirt cheap on eBay and it takes only a few minutes to swap out.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:42 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

there's a whole thing for enabling it on 957s... involving both vcds and i think piwis.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:05 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Libast
there's a whole thing for enabling it on 957s... involving both vcds and i think piwis.
Aha! You mean this thread I think? Silly me, I had skipped through the blah blah and what stuck was “plug and play”! Magic!

But the first post articulates what is to be done. I’ll try it today. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2023, 02:07 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Yes, my 2009 CTTS needed PIWIS to set headlight assist to on. That’s done and now auto headlights works.

HOWEVER, unlike modern cars, if you leave it set to auto, it still blasts the warning chime at you when you take out the key, as if you had left them on. I think the only thing this does is auto turn them on if you enter a tunnel or whatever. But you would have had to set them to auto for that to work, and back to off for the chime not to yell at you on exit. So it is not “set it and forget it” like modern cars.

So far I’m nonplussed by this upgrade, FWIW.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:55 AM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

In my car with factory auto headlights there is no such warning on exit. I just leave it on auto all the time and it works like it should.

The bloody auto wipers still have to be cycled every drive to work though
Old 03-03-2023, 12:38 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes, my 2009 CTTS needed PIWIS to set headlight assist to on. That’s done and now auto headlights works.

HOWEVER, unlike modern cars, if you leave it set to auto, it still blasts the warning chime at you when you take out the key, as if you had left them on. I think the only thing this does is auto turn them on if you enter a tunnel or whatever. But you would have had to set them to auto for that to work, and back to off for the chime not to yell at you on exit. So it is not “set it and forget it” like modern cars.

That's not correct, you're missing something. My factory setup does not do this, I have my switch in auto all the time (unless I'm working on the car and need to turn it off).
You can even change the region on your car to anything other than US and the warning will go away for when you have the car running and open the door - I believe that's what I have done. Then, have to go back and change the Mi/KM and F/C settings to your liking in the IC I believe. Clock format (12/24H) may not be adjustable though, I don't recall exactly.

If you can't figure out the proper way to code this, maybe change the region to completely disable the buzzer. Though then will need to make sure that modules go to sleep correctly and there's no battery drain.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:33 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

You have to do the VCDS and the PIWIS steps because my 2008 GTS didn't have that problem.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:58 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Yeah, or I’m just an idiot and the chime was for the key in the ignition. All is well. Just the PIWIS quick setting, swap the headlight switch, and now I no longer have a 1980s headlight switch.

all good!

Quick Reply: Upgrading to Auto On headlight switch?