Sponsored by:

Cardan Shaft - Urgent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cardan Shaft - Urgent?

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 Cayenne S with 84,000 miles. I've known for a few hundred miles that the rubber bearing surround on the driveshaft was deteriorating. My plan was to buy a new cardan shaft and replace it one of these weekends. Up until just recently, I haven't noticed any vibration.

This past weekend, I noticed pretty significant vibration under acceleration and a constant "rattle" during normal driving. Obviously, it's time to replace the cardan shaft.

My question is - is there such a thing as an "emergency" cardan shaft replacement? I'm about 200 miles away from home at the moment, on vacation. Does it make sense to drive home and take care of the job this weekend? Or is there a risk of something bad happening over the next few hundred miles and should I find a shop nearby to make the repair?

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:33 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
Hi everyone. I have a 2008 Cayenne S with 84,000 miles. I've known for a few hundred miles that the rubber bearing surround on the driveshaft was deteriorating. My plan was to buy a new cardan shaft and replace it one of these weekends. Up until just recently, I haven't noticed any vibration.

This past weekend, I noticed pretty significant vibration under acceleration and a constant "rattle" during normal driving. Obviously, it's time to replace the cardan shaft.

My question is - is there such a thing as an "emergency" cardan shaft replacement? I'm about 200 miles away from home at the moment, on vacation. Does it make sense to drive home and take care of the job this weekend? Or is there a risk of something bad happening over the next few hundred miles and should I find a shop nearby to make the repair?

Thanks everyone.
What are the cardan shaft symptoms on a 957? 99% of the stuff online is about 955's. I have sometimes a slight feel of initial disconnect when going quickly on/off throttle at city speeds, and under fether light acceleration in high gear on a motorway there is sometimes a very faint vibration in the car, been wondering if it's something to do with the cardan.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Murphy's law applies to the Cayenne even though its German made.
Depending on the terrain and speeds 200 mi could be pushing it to the limits.

Have a shaft shipped to your vacation spot and carry it home just in case. Any competent tire/muffler shop could replace if it fails in route to home. A Goodyear store replaced the shaft on my 04CS, took about 1.5 hrs to get it done.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
What are the cardan shaft symptoms on a 957? 99% of the stuff online is about 955's. I have sometimes a slight feel of initial disconnect when going quickly on/off throttle at city speeds, and under fether light acceleration in high gear on a motorway there is sometimes a very faint vibration in the car, been wondering if it's something to do with the cardan.
Same symptoms as the 955. Inspect the condition of the rubber seal around the shaft center bearing.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 AM
drift1492
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you get the vibrations when you keep the rpms low? After mine failed, I drove 50 plus miles with no issues. It wouldn't vibrate until I got the rpms over a certain point, so
I just babied it.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Are you getting the "Midget with a hammer under the center console" thumping yet?

I knew mine was going, and it started the "thumping" on day when it was really cold and the car had been sitting a couple days. It would only thump under reasonably hard acceleration, and there really wasn't any noticeable vibration otherwise.

It was a week or so and maybe a hundred miles or so before I could get to it. It would thump a bit here and there (and I'd lift a bit until it stopped). I may have damaged the bearing by waiting. I still get a bit of noise and a bit of vibration. It usually goes away once I've driven a few miles.
It may also be the rubber isolators. They are still original.

For an "emergency fix", you can try the "Jimi Fix." Search that (spell Jimi ending with an "I"). Any shop can do it, and in a fairly short time. The pics in the thread on it are enough for a competent tech to see how to do it. A friend owns a shop and a Chrysler Pacifica came in with what turned out to be an identical problem (rubber bushing around the drive shaft center bearing had separated). I suggested the Jimi fix as a possibility. His tech found the thread, did the fix, and everyone was happy.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

200 miles could be too much if the rubber already separated.

I suggest you buy the necessary material for a Jimi Fix, as suggested by Joe.

It took me about 1.5 hours of work to do this fix. It is pretty simple, and very cheap.

Once you are back home, you can order the new shaft and have it installed when available (and you can drive your car with the Jimi Fix meanwhile)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by drift1492
Do you get the vibrations when you keep the rpms low? After mine failed, I drove 50 plus miles with no issues. It wouldn't vibrate until I got the rpms over a certain point, so
I just babied it.
I drove nearly 350 miles home on a Sunday with the "midget with a hammer" riding shotgun. One has to be very careful about accelleration and ease off gently if it starts to really vibrate. I caught it when it first started vibrating though. I have heard horror stories about the shaft failing complely and severly damaging a vehicle, but I suspect this is urban legend. The standard disclaimer applies, of course....! Do this at your own risk.

Cheers,
Tom F
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you drive your family 200 miles on vacation in a car that needs a driveshaft? That seems either really cheap, really dumb, or a combination.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 PM
dhgrinstead
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 81911
Why would you drive your family 200 miles on vacation in a car that needs a driveshaft? That seems either really cheap, really dumb, or a combination.
Sounds like a combination......
Old 06-15-2016, 01:27 PM
zonnie
Instructor

keep me posted with where you are ordering parts. cost and everything... i feel its gonna be my time soon.

goodluck! i have 08cs as well
Old 06-15-2016, 03:45 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911
Take it easy boys, judgemental isn't a good look. Even on the Internet.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM
dbidelspach
4th Gear

I have a 2009 Porsche Cayenne S that I replaced the Center Drive Shaft Bearing. The Kit contained a Rubber Boot to go over the Center CV Joint. Whereas, the original CV Joint had a Metal Cover with a smaller diameter Rubber Boot. This all Rubber Boot appeared to be a little odd. Nonetheless, did the replacement. I could not determine where the very small metal square rod went in the repair. Did my Test Drive and it appears the Center CV Joint came apart. This was not totally surprising. It appeared the Metal Cover on the CV Joint kept the CV Joint (Ball Bearings) together and in place. Does this CV Joint require the Metal Cover with the small Rubber Boot? Also, if the actual CV Joint was damaged, are the CV Joint Parts available? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Cardan Shaft - Urgent?