Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 CTT How to tell if Coolant pipes were Replaced ? PPI ?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:22 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 CTT How to tell if Coolant pipes were Replaced ? PPI ?

Hello I'm looking at a 2008 Cayenne Turbo with 55K miles on it. Is there a way to tell if Coolant pipes have been replaced ?

What about the other know issues like, Coil Packs, Cardin Shaft, Coolant Manifold issues and so on ?

I plan to have a PPI done but I'm not sure how much it will tell me.

Anything I should have them focus on during the PPI they might overlook ?

Thx
Old 10-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure the coolant pipes are as much of an issue on the 2008 (957) Cayenne, I think all but two are metal and I can't recall hearing of any failures of them (not like the 955 which are a time bomb)

Having said that I also have a 2008 CTT and will change these as a preventative measure at some point

What does need checked is the coolant manifold at the rear of the engine, if it has a glued in barb (whoever thought that would be a good idea?) it most likely fail and will need replaced with the screwed in replacement

It sounds like a pretty awkward repair, I think I read of one guy who managed it without removing the engine and everyone was in awe that he managed it
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Not sure the coolant pipes are as much of an issue on the 2008 (957) Cayenne, I think all but two are metal and I can't recall hearing of any failures of them (not like the 955 which are a time bomb)

Having said that I also have a 2008 CTT and will change these as a preventative measure at some point

What does need checked is the coolant manifold at the rear of the engine, if it has a glued in barb (whoever thought that would be a good idea?) it most likely fail and will need replaced with the screwed in replacement

It sounds like a pretty awkward repair, I think I read of one guy who managed it without removing the engine and everyone was in awe that he managed it
From what I have read on here the 2008 still had the plastic coolant pipes.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KarlJC
Like I said before......

The 2008 (957) has at least 1 small plastic pipe but the 3 larger pipes (which were so problematic on the 955) are now metal - 100% sure

This is backed up by looking at ECS website - there is no replacement kit with 3 pipes for the 957 - only the 955 and this is the kit in question

The 957 definitely has this plastic pipe though (this is the metal upgrade) which from memory is above the upgraded metal pipes and relatively easy to change

I also know that the 955 has another plastic pipe at the bottom of the "V" and I think the 957 has it too - this is the upgraded metal part

Old 10-04-2015, 09:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wrong
Old 10-04-2015, 09:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Like I said before......

The 2008 (957) has at least 1 small plastic pipe but the 3 larger pipes (which were so problematic on the 955) are now metal - 100% sure

This is backed up by looking at ECS website - there is no replacement kit with 3 pipes for the 957 - only the 955 and this is the kit in question

The 957 definitely has this plastic pipe though (this is the metal upgrade) which from memory is above the upgraded metal pipes and relatively easy to change

I also know that the 955 has another plastic pipe at the bottom of the "V" and I think the 957 has it too - this is the upgraded metal part

wrong
Old 10-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
wrong
Try not to elaborate tooo much there

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Search is your friend. It has been covered before.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd sticky on the front page:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...pipes-a-z.html

Nothing in there? Did you try searching?
Old 10-05-2015, 01:36 AM
KarlJC
Instructor

Found this ......
Originally Posted by TCallas
On the 2008 and later 9PA’s they eliminated these dreaded valley coolant pipes and replaced them with one plastic pipe that runs above the valley area from the front of the engine to the back of the engine (near the firewall-below the windscreen). This plastic pipe connects to an aluminum coolant bridge at the rear of the engine between the cylinder heads and has a fitting that connects to a coolant hose. This aluminum fitting has been known to blow out of the coolant bridge, the only way to repair this is to replace the coolant bridge and that requires removal of the engine.

It appears that this coolant fitting is blowing out of the bridge because the engine might be overheating due to the radiator cooling fans malfunctioning. The cooling fans are malfunctioning because of an issue with a ground harness in the LF of the vehicle.

Just an FYI,
Tony Callas
Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 AM
colowhisper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^i have service records showing my 2008 has had this exact operation done under the previous owner.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

There is a pipe that goes but its NOT the 955 coolant pipes
Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

Correction from previous thread it was determined that 955 pipes are not in 957, they are metal. 1 distribution pipe does fail however

From this thread .......

wrong
There is a pipe that goes but its NOT the 955 coolant pipes

From the Coolant Pipes A - Z sticky thread .....

Originally Posted by sabyrzhan
Hello guys!
I'm new to this forum and owning a Cayenne. Can anyone tell me if 957 Cayennes (mine is GTS) have the same problems as 955, such as coolant pipes, ignition sparks and coils, tranny/ hydroblock problem?
Yes I am afraid so, they still use Plastic pipes in production
It seams there is still a plastic pipe issue with the 957, but it not the same pipe. Round and round we go.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

More info .....

Originally Posted by ronn356
In November 2012 I purchased a 2008 Cayenne with 75K miles on it. This is my fourth Porsche, and I am a long time member of the 356 Registry and PCA.
At 78K miles we detected a coolant leak at a PCA club tech session put on by a local dealer. We diagnosed the problem as a coolant pipe leak.
Upon opening up the cavity within the '08 block at the dealer's service center, we noticed that Porches had redesigned and replaced the top plastic hoses with an aluminum unit as seen in postings on this site. Underneath them was a fourth plastic pipe (still plastic!). Although this pipe had not failed, the thermostat housing that it fastened into did. Leith Porsche replaced the housing and pipe with a factory-new, all-aluminum unit. The service was discounted because I am a PCA member and our club is actively involved with this and other area dealerships. My cost out the door was $1400.
I subsequently contacted the Ohio law firm that is mentioned in TopClassActions.com and covered in this column. They replied that the case is in settlement phase as of August 1, 2013, and that my year model is not covered in the class. I think that the settlement limited the class at 2006.
My own opinion in all of this is that the accountants at Porsche overruled the engineers and gambled that the lawsuit costs would work out less than issuing a defective product. We have seen this behavior in American car companies in the past, the more egregious being the side gas tanks in Chevy trucks that had fiberglass fenders, and the Ford Pinto gas tank without the plastic safety spacer between tank and bumper. Both cases were settled in courts, involving catastrophic failures, lost lives, and millions in litigation that may have been avoided by sensible and safe design.
It is a sad day when both Porsche enthusiasts and their car dealers have to take a haircut instead of the parent company owning up and making things right. My own belief is that this all could have been avoided by using aluminum from the beginning, instead of gambling with plastic in a very hot engine cavity.
I still love the cars, but now I feel a bit jaded.
Originally Posted by slots
I found two additional photos from my failed parts for everyone to see:

Slots

Last edited by KarlJC; 10-05-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

CarlJC, I guess the point here is that you are comparing apples to oranges. The 2008 CTT distribution manifold is a potential issue, as it is on the 911 Turbo, GT3 and any other vehicle that had this kind of adhesive used on the nipples of a cooling system.

The issues on the 955 are simply that- 955 issues.

The plastic pipe issue mentioned above is the only incidence of failure that I have heard of. I suspect that it is because it is an isolated incident. 2008 is a transition year- as in all Porsches, that can be good and bad. Several things were changed mid-year, including the honing process on the cylinders, the rings, etc... It is possible that they changed the single plastic part to aluminum mid-year as well or maybe just with the 2009 models.

Cheers,
TomF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 CTT How to tell if Coolant pipes were Replaced ? PPI ?