Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

VAG's credibility is zero now. So everything in the VAG family will be tested and re-tested. Hopefully since PAG tunes the v6 3.0L from Audi they also play fair with the emissions. But who really knows now. We will find out soon enough. My 2013 CD is due for it registration renewal in Nov, if I have to get a SMOG then (think I got it last year though) I wonder what they will do if the Cayenne's are found to be non-compliant too. I may have to park it for a few months while all the dust settles.

Confusion and disbelief now, anger to follow ...
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
How often have you guys filled up the urea tank? I've done it once, and Had the dealer top it off for probably 7-8 gallons in 35k miles.... Has me worried.
Just the once in 20k. I estimate I should need another refill in the next 4k.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:23 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

In 21K I have added 4 gallons of Blue Def myself and the dealer did a top off at 15K. I had the dealer change the fuel filter at 15K given I was going into last winter and didn't want any filter issues. I did the 20K myself. At this point I will not take the car back to the dealer until I know programming stays the same. The car runs great as delivered. No smog test in my state.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:04 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
I wonder what they will do if the Cayenne's are found to be non-compliant too. I may have to park it for a few months while all the dust settles.

That's The Big Question. I think that the states would pass a waiver system for affected owners who bought cars in good faith, but I'm not so sure it would be transferable.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Just the once in 20k. I estimate I should need another refill in the next 4k.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
How often have you guys filled up the urea tank? I've done it once, and Had the dealer top it off for probably 7-8 gallons in 35k miles....
The amount of AdBlu used is based on how hard you drive the car. I tow often with mine. I've added about 6 gallons in 18k miles. Its meant to be refilled every 20k miles.

Originally Posted by stronbl
My 2013 CD is due for it registration renewal in Nov, if I have to get a SMOG then (think I got it last year though) I wonder what they will do if the Cayenne's are found to be non-compliant too. I may have to park it for a few months while all the dust settles.

Seriously? Fking get the smog check and register the car.

A lot of alarmist sky is falling comments here. Let the process play out and wait. We don't even know if the v6 engines are an issue. Assume lawsuits, class actions, recalls, whatever will happen but for now, just drive the damn car. You loved it before, what's changed? Nothing other than some speculation at this point. And depreciations? these cars depreciate like a rock falling anyway. Nothing going to change there!
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (04-27-2020)
Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, this is one of the fall outs from the mess: Porsche and Bentley and Bugatti are combined. Maybe Porsche will give me a Bentley Bentayga as compensation if the CD's engine fails emission? lol
Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
A lot of alarmist sky is falling comments here.
Mostly from those from CA who realize that CARB and DMV are merciless.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Mostly from those from CA who realize that CARB and DMV are merciless.
I'm in CA, not worried.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Lecrok
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a comment in response to a NY Times article on the VW emission fiasco. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/25...boardroom.html
This guys on to me.
Except I have a 924S not a BMW.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will OwenPasadena, CA
One theme recurring in this article echoes my first thought: German auto-makers are steeped in a cultural reverence for engineering, with the greatest goal being efficiency. To the builders of German cars, and in many cases to those who buy them and who work on them, anything that interferes with the extraction of horsepower from an engine is simply evil. When the EPA forced Nashville to institute emissions testing, I know of at least one BMW mechanic whose customers would visit him every year to have their emission-control devices refitted and the engines detuned to their meagre "controlled" power until they would pass their tests. Then the cars would come back, the air pumps etcetera pulled off, the engines re-tuned for another happily polluting year.

This is a mindset more common than some seem to think among car enthusiasts. For that reason, while I'm sure many sincere environmentally sensitive VW owners will never buy another, those drivers who see a car's prime goal as "Turning gasoline into fun" – and there are many – will shrug and say, "Too bad they got caught." That seems callous, and of course it really is, but as long as we have elected officials riding to the defense of the coal industry it's hardly surprising that a lot of car freaks feel they're carrying a disproportionate burden."
Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first thought was "I guess that german engineering isn't as good as I thought."

Quickly followed by "damn, I wish they didn't get caught as I was just contemplating a new JSW knowing I'd get close to 50 mpg on the hwy."
Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lecrok
This was a comment in response to a NY Times article on the VW emission fiasco. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/25...boardroom.html
This guys on to me.
Except I have a 924S not a BMW.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will OwenPasadena, CA
One theme recurring in this article echoes my first thought: German auto-makers are steeped in a cultural reverence for engineering, with the greatest goal being efficiency. To the builders of German cars, and in many cases to those who buy them and who work on them, anything that interferes with the extraction of horsepower from an engine is simply evil. When the EPA forced Nashville to institute emissions testing, I know of at least one BMW mechanic whose customers would visit him every year to have their emission-control devices refitted and the engines detuned to their meagre "controlled" power until they would pass their tests. Then the cars would come back, the air pumps etcetera pulled off, the engines re-tuned for another happily polluting year.

This is a mindset more common than some seem to think among car enthusiasts. For that reason, while I'm sure many sincere environmentally sensitive VW owners will never buy another, those drivers who see a car's prime goal as "Turning gasoline into fun" – and there are many – will shrug and say, "Too bad they got caught." That seems callous, and of course it really is, but as long as we have elected officials riding to the defense of the coal industry it's hardly surprising that a lot of car freaks feel they're carrying a disproportionate burden."
I used to do that with my 240Z when I lived in california! Had to just to make it driveable.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:52 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VW comes down hard on Porsche

Old 09-26-2015, 02:14 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Well, this is one of the fall outs from the mess: Porsche and Bentley and Bugatti are combined. Maybe Porsche will give me a Bentley Bentayga as compensation if the CD's engine fails emission? lol
I'd settle for a Continental GTC, but I'm easy that way. 😀
T
Old 09-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by major dad
VW comes down hard on Porsche

Is that a VW though or a Mercedes (Sprinter)?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

I love my Cayenne diesel! I trade cars often and this is the first car I hope to keep a long while. I even got the pre-paid maintenance and extended warranty. My other main car is a '15 911 Turbo and I drive the CD most of the time. I love the mileage, torque, distance per tank, etc.

Talking to my local tech- he thinks the adblue engines will be ok. Probably a reflash, maybe a little less performance and mileage but not much difference. Will probably use more adblue. And there will be aftermarket companies to refresh back. Hurt resale- yep, no doubt. Maybe a voucher to make up for diminished value. Who knows. I'm still hoping I can keep it with the same performance and mileage.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue