Sponsored by:

2009 PCM Playing iphone music

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:02 PM
2009 Cayenne
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 PCM Playing iphone music

Can you play music through the PCM via a bluetooth connection? In most of the newer cars - I connect my iphone with the bluetooth and then with the media - play my music. I haven't figured out a way to play it with my Cayenne? I can play music using the iphone connection in the armrest on my Iphone 4. I have tried connecting the phone using the usb - but that doesn't work. It says no usb connection - but my phone is charging and asks if I want to trust the computer. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:24 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure it has Bluetooth? If your PCM has Bluetooth and has been paired to the phone for cell calls you should be able to hear music files as well. I don't think the PCM will recognize the iTunes directory via a USB port. You might try saving music files to a USB thumb drive in FAT32 structure. Or it may just be a USB power source for charging. I'm not familiar with the PCM in the '09 so can't offer any more. Hope some one with an '09 can help.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 PM
2009 Cayenne
AutoX

It has Bluetooth. Both my Iphone 4s and 6 connect and I can make phone calls through the speakers. But I can't figure out how to play music or stream Pandora.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2009 Cayenne
It has Bluetooth. Both my Iphone 4s and 6 connect and I can make phone calls through the speakers. But I can't figure out how to play music or stream Pandora.
I found this description of PCM 3.0 and its notable that there's no mention of music via Bluetooth or USB; only the iPhone/iPod interface (cable). Bummer.

"Among the key features of PCM 3.0 is the new 6.5-inch touchscreen display that offers the operator intuitive access to commands. This new concept eliminates 50 percent of buttons that had previously been located at the side of the console, providing extra space for the larger touch screen and allows for quick, intuitive and correct communication in half the time, which means the driver is less distracted.

The new, easier to use interface is coupled with the availability of seven new features, making PCM 3.0 a significant upgrade for 2009. Apple iPod® and mp3 integration, Bluetooth® cell phone connectivity, a new 40-gig hard drive based navigation system that can be controlled by voice commands, XM Satellite Radio with NavTraffic® and BOSE© 5.1 Discrete Sound all contribute to new levels of Porsche convenience.

With the latest in iPod® integration, PCM 3.0 allows for full iPod navigation directly from the large touch screen. The upgraded system seamlessly incorporates Apple’s popular line of music players by allowing access to all playlists and menus. Standard mp3 players and USB® memory sticks are also supported.

Bluetooth® equipped cell phone users can now connect their phone for handsfree usage, allowing drivers to concentrate on the road.
"

I assume you've read the PCM manual and found nothing.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Rycase
4th Gear

You cannot stream audio in the 2009 PCM via Bluetooth. You are correct that you can connect the device (My wife uses an iPhone 6). If you have the OEM iPhone kit you should be able to hook it up, however as you know you have the lightning adapter. If it does not recognize your iPhone with the cable connected and a lightning adapter cable, you will need to look elsewhere.

I would suggest purchasing a revinora bluetooth adapter from Amazon. They have excellent quality and are a simple plug and play with the 3.5mm adapter that you should have inside your console for aux. It does require a 12v DC adapter.

There are a couple of additional options for 8-10x the cost, that will give you a clunky onscreen menu.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:30 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rycase
If you have the OEM iPhone kit you should be able to hook it up, however as you know you have the lightning adapter. If it does not recognize your iPhone with the cable connected and a lightning adapter cable, you will need to look elsewhere.
I've read on other forums that its best to us the Apple adapter to connect 30-pin to Lightning cables. Aftermarket adapters are hit and miss.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Rycase
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I've read on other forums that its best to us the Apple adapter to connect 30-pin to Lightning cables. Aftermarket adapters are hit and miss.
That is definitely true for other devices so I wouldn't be surprised. On my BMW we tried the cheap hong kong adapter and it did not work. My understanding is outside of rare situations, the cable should be universally accepted as a 30 pin device so it should work.

This would allow you to stream music from your phone, just keep in mind it will not be via bluetooth (so I think that will still meet your objective). Good luck and post how it turns out!

Quick Reply: 2009 PCM Playing iphone music