Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for offroad protection (rock rails, skid plates, wheel arch extensions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Looking for offroad protection (rock rails, skid plates, wheel arch extensions)

During the course of my research to toughen up my 955 Cayenne turbo for light off-road duty, I have come across the following parts:

• Rock rails (95504480107): appear to be substantial and should protect the rocker panels fairly well
  • Wheel arch extensions - without mud guards (95504480011): mostly cosmetic, but might allow for meatier tires
  • Engine protection plate (95510798100 or 95550423501): certainly more substantial than the original plastic piece
  • Front skid plate (95504480016): appears to be almost entirely cosmetic, not sure about this one

Are there any other items that would be worth adding? Does anyone know where I might be able to find any of these parts used? I had no luck on eBay, and I'm not sure where else to look.

Additionally, I came across a thread linking to this youtube video of a Cayenne with a nice bull bar setup:

Does anyone know where this bull bar / grill guard can be purchased?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Villian
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No, but I want one!
Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had my CTT off road a few times now. Most roads are designated Jeep, or high-clearance, trails that you won't see your average SUV on. The truth is - if you're not will to take body damage (either to the sides or anything underneath), then don't bother with any of the protection. In special terrain mode, the suspension stays pretty rigid, so you don't have too much of a chance rolling off a rock and having the suspension compress, slamming the engine into a rock. You're going to blow a tire or slide off a trail long before you really need off road protection.

Running an 18" rim with 265/65 AT tires would be the first off road mod I would suggest. This gives you enough sidewall to air down the tires a bit, which will make rough trails easier. With stock tires, you're barely creeping along because the ride is so rough, and to prevent a tire blowout.

This is Georgia pass. Considered to be a Moderate off road trail here in CO. It's not that long, but took us quite a while to get up over the pass simply because we were creeping along the whole time. The CTT is incredibly competent off road, but it's by no means comfortable, or fast. We had to go slower than a walking pace. Some of the tricky bits were off-camber, tight corners where we were nearly grinding the side of the CTT into the edge of the road.

I like knowing that I can take the CTT nearly anywhere, and on stock tires. But, after doing it a few times, I don't choose to do it unless it's for climbing or backpacking - and it's the only way to get there. It takes most people 2 hours to do Georgia Pass. Took us 5 - simply because I ran stock tires.

Honestly, if you're in an area where the rocks are big enough to hit the bottom of the car in spec terrain mode - then you had better have a full recovery kit.

DSCF2285.jpg by Reid, on Flickr

DSCF2286.jpg by Reid, on Flickr

Cayenne Turbo getting dirty by Reid, on Flickr
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

On a sidenote - is that a Kuat NV double bike carrier you have there wrinkledpants?

If so I`m thinking of buying one - how do you find it?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Yes it is. I bought it new. I've owned almost every rack on the market - at least in regards to roof racks - and always bought used. But, for the Kuat, it's built burly enough that I know I'll have it for a loooong time. So, no point in buying used. I do see them occasionally on CL, though. I don't think there are any generations of them. Meaning - if you find a used NV, it's likely the same as the ones you buy new. It's rock solid on the Cayenne, especially with air suspension. I never notice it back there, even with the add-on and 4 heavy DH bikes.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Yes it is. I bought it new. I've owned almost every rack on the market - at least in regards to roof racks - and always bought used. But, for the Kuat, it's built burly enough that I know I'll have it for a loooong time. So, no point in buying used. I do see them occasionally on CL, though. I don't think there are any generations of them. Meaning - if you find a used NV, it's likely the same as the ones you buy new. It's rock solid on the Cayenne, especially with air suspension. I never notice it back there, even with the add-on and 4 heavy DH bikes.
Sounds like what I`m after

I like "Thule" products as a rule and thats what I was gonna buy until I spotted the Kuat NV

I agree that its unlikely I`ll find one used so its looking like I`ll have to plump for a new one

So its still rock solid even with the 2 bike add on (4 bike total)? Hows the security on it? From memory there is built in cable locks - is that accurate? Are they robust?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

It's really solid, especially compared to Thule or Yakima. Kind makes those racks feel like toys. It has a large ball bearing that sticks out of the receiver mount, and you screw this large **** on the rack to push the ball out. It takes up all the play in the receiver, so you don't hear the clunking of the rack rocking back and fourth, which was always really annoying with other racks. It's whisper quiet. Bikes are rock solid on the back. It does have built in cable locks. Same key as the hitch lock, too. It has a lot of space between the trays, so you're not fighting bars and seats trying to smash bikes together. The maintenance stand is pure genius, and I use it quite often. I put together my bike a few months ago in the parking garage using it, LOL. The only other rack I'd really consider is a 1UP. They're more compact when folded up, and they help keep your departure angles solid, if that's important to you. I've had my rack drag a few times when getting at those for off trail heads with steep creek crossings. I'd say at least 50% of the racks I see at the local TH's are Kuat, now.

You can see the cable lock gong through above the cranks. It's not what I would call super long, but it will get both bikes locked down. I don't leave my bike on the rack overnight outside, though. Way to easy to cut any cable lock. I pretty much keep the rack on the car all summer long. I ride 3 times a week, or more, and I just don't ever notice it back there - at least from a handling standpoint. Even with just two bikes on there, I don't notice the weight. The air suspension does a good job adjusting the dampening for the weight. Plus, if you have backup sensors and a tow package, the tow package will disable the backup sensors when it recognizes the hitch back there so it's not blowing up at you constantly.

I've had the +2 on this rack a few times. This ASR 7 weighted 36 lbs last year, and the other DH bikes on the rack were 40 lbs or more. I could feel the weight a bit when pushing the CTT in the corners headed up to Winter Park, but again, the air suspension really helped control all that weight hanging out the back.

Untitled by Reid, on Flickr
Old 05-28-2015, 05:30 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the advice wrinkledpants. I'm currently running 255/50r19 Continetal DWS tires, but I do plan to buy a set of offroad tires to go on the oem turbo 18 wheels. I've read some people claiming 265/65r18 fits the Cayenne without rubbing, and others that suggest it may rub on full lock and/or extreme articulation depending on the particular tire. I'll likely still buy the 265/65r18 knowing that I can put the Cayenne in special terrain mode to reduce rubbing, and that if it does rub on the street at lower suspension levels, I can always swap back to the 19" wheel setup.

I'm still interested in the extra protection parts, if for nothing else than peace of mind and the rugged appearance they provide. Still no joy on finding any of the parts used though. I don't mind buying the lower engine protection plate and wheel arches new, but I really don't want to pay retail price for the rock rails. And at over $500 for thin metal, I think I'm going to skip on the front "skid plate". As for the grill guard, I've only found a few available in other countries, and suspect that it might be custom. Even still, I'd like to know where I could have one custom made if the cost is reasonable.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

265/65 tires will fit without rubbing. The rock rails aren't real. They're made of aluminum and hang lower than without them. You hit one on a rock and it's going to deform. Then, you'll either be driving around with a dented rail, or you'll have to replace it. They don't really make the car look rugged. It looks like an accessory trim piece. The only people that would look at that and think it's rugged are Cayenne owners that know they're rock rails.

The actual metal skid plate is pretty serious. Same with the driveline one. It's beefy enough that I figured it would only make changing the oil more difficult since I'd need to get my whole body involved in lifting it back up to the car. Plus, it was just too much money.

I saw a touareg with the bull guard, and it was the most silly thing I've ever seen bolted to a treg. Not only does it reduce your approach angle, but they had to drill into the front support to mount it (and drill holes through the lower valence). It looks like poser equipment because it not only has no use, but it'll fold up the minute you attach anything to it for rescue. I pointed out that his guard covered the rescue port, and he said (oh it's fine, I don't actually take it offroad).

If you want to look beefy, put those meaty tires on, get a cargo basket for the roof, get a spare wheel setup up there, some rescue equipment, and if you absolutely have to - mount the lights up there. It's going to be noisy with the wind, and it'll put some noticeable drag on the car doing hwy speeds, but you'll look the part. The grill guard is like putting a giant spoiler on a civic.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beefy
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...ml#post3924239

Beefier
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_103230-...GT600-955.html

Beefiest
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...n-1582914.html
Old 05-29-2015, 11:55 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Agreed that the Bull guard looks ridiculous. I have been on the hunt for a guard that looks decent and provides a modicum of protection from deer. We are in a serious deer migration zone a lot, and it can get dicey.

Regrettably, there really isn't a serious brush guard on the market that looks good.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I grew up in northern MN (tons of deer), and the only bash guards that really did anything where really well built ones with tons of metal. Otherwise, the dear would either bent the guard into the bumper, bits and pieced would go through the guard - damaging the grill, lights etc, or the dear would fold around the front corner and smash the quarter panel. You really need to have a squared off front end to make good use of a bash guard, or at least to make it worthwhile enough that the hassle of having it on there will greatly increase your odds of just having to wash the front end.

The only bash guards really worth anything are the ones that are full bumper replacements. They keep the approach angle solid, if not increase it, full ****** rating, and they'll smash fuzzy animals to bits.

These are the real bash guards (full bumper replacements).

Quick Reply: Looking for offroad protection (rock rails, skid plates, wheel arch extensions)