Sponsored by:

04 Cayenne S stalling when hit the gas peddle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 04 Cayenne S stalling when hit the gas peddle

I ran out of Gas last week in my CS. Had to call AAA. They put some Gas in and off I went to the Gas station. This morning I was headed to the local Porsche Parts place for some Parts and after I put GAs in (not at my regular gas station ), The CS started idled fine and then I put my foot on the gas and it stalled out. I started it back up and let it idle for a bit and put my foot on the gas and it idled out again. Then I just started it up and then it idled out. I see on here some have this issue and it may be a fuel pump. Anyone else had this issue and how did you get it resolved. Looks like I will have to tow my CS to a shop which will be costly.

dtv
Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to say, but running completely dry of fuel is extremely hard on the fuel pumps. Judging by the circumstances and your description I'd say it could be one of 3 things:

1.AAA (or you, later) put some very terrible gas in there. These things don't run on water.
2.Going completely empty strained a fuel pump into failure. (lots of info on this forum about testing which one could be bad)
3.The symptoms are the same with plugged cats. Would be a terrible coincidence though.

The easiest DIY you can do is read up on the fuel pumps and testing (involving removing fuses to determine the weak pump.)
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Sorry to say, but running completely dry of fuel is extremely hard on the fuel pumps. Judging by the circumstances and your description I'd say it could be one of 3 things:

1.AAA (or you, later) put some very terrible gas in there. These things don't run on water.
2.Going completely empty strained a fuel pump into failure. (lots of info on this forum about testing which one could be bad)
3.The symptoms are the same with plugged cats. Would be a terrible coincidence though.

The easiest DIY you can do is read up on the fuel pumps and testing (involving removing fuses to determine the weak pump.)
Thanks. I installed new coils and plugs last week thinking that may be it. However it still idled out when I started it up last night. I only put the best grade from a name brand Gas station (Cheveron, Shell, etc). Funny thing when I started it up my neighbor who used to work for a dealership said I shouldn't be hearing the lifters.

Well this afternoon I removed the fuse #14 and the Pig started and idled normally. I was actually able to move the car further in the driveway too. I put #14 back in and took out #15 and the car idled out and stopped when I gave it some gas.

So which pump is associated with fuse #15 may be the bad pump. Anyone know?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Thanks. I installed new coils and plugs last week thinking that may be it. However it still idled out when I started it up last night. I only put the best grade from a name brand Gas station (Cheveron, Shell, etc). Funny thing when I started it up my neighbor who used to work for a dealership said I shouldn't be hearing the lifters.

Well this afternoon I removed the fuse #14 and the Pig started and idled normally. I was actually able to move the car further in the driveway too. I put #14 back in and took out #15 and the car idled out and stopped when I gave it some gas.

So which pump is associated with fuse #15 may be the bad pump. Anyone know?
So this morning I called around to find a shop that could install my primary fuel pump. I called Circle, Mckenna and the price was almost 3000.00. I also called an indie and the price was 2200.00. Now the pump itself is about 250-350.00. The job itself can't be 8 times the cost of the part. So I was able to find a great indie who understands. Has a set price for the labor for installing a fuel pump. And they brought me back home! I'll always go to this shop now. The guy even knew my old boss. Pump installed for less than 700.00.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
So this morning I called around to find a shop that could install my primary fuel pump. I called Circle, Mckenna and the price was almost 3000.00. I also called an indie and the price was 2200.00. Now the pump itself is about 250-350.00. The job itself can't be 8 times the cost of the part. So I was able to find a great indie who understands. Has a set price for the labor for installing a fuel pump. And they brought me back home! I'll always go to this shop now. The guy even knew my old boss. Pump installed for less than 700.00.
That's an excellent deal. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 04 Cayenne S stalling when hit the gas peddle