Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne Reliability and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 AM
Uncle Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I haven't. I live here in Germany and I see enough BMWs on the side of the road and in the repair shops that I never wanted to buy one.
The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (01-09-2021)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:56 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
You haven't had to replace the coolant pipes, expansion tank, water pump, or control arms yet? The Porsche gods have mercy on you! Than again you did have a new engine installed at 45k miles so maybe new plastic coolant pipes came with the engine?
Updated coolant pipes went on with the new engine (as written). But no on the other things you list. This truck is driven well within its limits and the climate here probably helps too.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennessee Turbo
I'm sad to see all the folks who have had reliability issues. I have a 235,000 mile '06 CTTS that I love dearly (as a daily driver/bus/pickup). It has had every single one of the know issues, but it just keeps soldiering on happily. I bought it used (it was 39 months old) and just drive it. I have exactly zero desire to drive a flawless Japanese crossover that bores me to tears. I expect to spend some $$ on repairs; that is just the price to be paid to drive something I really like. As for things like trim falling off, I've had the two strips that run under the door fall off because of the cheap plastic clips that hold them on (2 minutes to fix), but not a single other trim issue that I can think of. I'm sure I'll jinx myself, but the A/C runs great, the tranny shifts like it should and the engine only consumes a couple of gallons of oil between gas fillups (yes, this was meant to be funny--it does consume a bunch of oil). PCM died last year--I popped in a Kenwood unit (ok, it was a royal pain in the neck to install) and voila, it has tunes with apple car play.
Enjoy!
Well, look what the cat drug out.

If you drove it faster than 60 mph, maybe you'd have more issues. Wait, you definitely have issues.

(Glen and I have known each other for over 32 years and like to mess with each other. )
Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Fox_
Race Car

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

The cycle:

1.)Find a nice Turbo or GTS for sale
2.)Read this thread
3.)Cringe and forget about the idea
4.)Repeat.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Sheesh, I hope that wouldn’t be the case
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 PM
gbstu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outside of fluid changes, coils, brakes, etc, here's a list of what I've replaced in the last 2 years on my 2008 CTT (60-80K miles):

Starter motor
Rear PDCC line
Right side front caliper (frozen piston)
Front drive shaft (snapped while in low range)
Secondary catalytic converter (element rattling inside)

I do all my own work, so not overly expensive. This is my 2nd CTT, they're fantastic vehicles.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox_
The cycle:

1.)Find a nice Turbo or GTS for sale
2.)Read this thread
3.)Cringe and forget about the idea
4.)Repeat.
Originally Posted by Gh0st0
Sheesh, I hope that wouldn’t be the case
Meh, you just have to understand what you are getting into. .

For me, it was the opportunity to get a car that listed over $90k new, at around $16k.
It was the opportunity to get into an amazing, high performance, luxury SUV. Capable of stuff I'd only dreamed of.

It came with all of the drawbacks and liabilities of a 10 year old car with 100k+ miles on it.

And all the potential issues that are common to these particular cars.

Fortunately, this forum allowed me to walk into it with knowledge and understanding, not with 'my eyes wide shut', which is how I got into my 944.

I've had little issues like hatch struts and headlights.
Bigger issues like original coolant pipes and the cardan shaft (did the pipes before they blew and the Jimi fix on the shaft).

Throw in the odd issue like the starter (changed it when I did the pipes), and the 'wet wiring harness' under the carpet (only issue that left me stranded).
And the 'not surprising' stuff like oil changes and tires.

Right now, I'm getting the 'four wheel drive faulty' message, which means I'm likely going to be replacing the stepper motor when it warms up.
And the screen on the PCM is going weird (reverse contrast) sometimes.

All of this (and more) is part of the 'ownership experience'.

If you understand what you are getting into, and are willing to take on the risks and expense and hassle, great.
It's not for everyone.
I have no regrets on my purchase. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Fox_
Race Car

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Meh, you just have to understand what you are getting into. .

For me, it was the opportunity to get a car that listed over $90k new, at around $16k.
It was the opportunity to get into an amazing, high performance, luxury SUV. Capable of stuff I'd only dreamed of.

It came with all of the drawbacks and liabilities of a 10 year old car with 100k+ miles on it.

And all the potential issues that are common to these particular cars.

Fortunately, this forum allowed me to walk into it with knowledge and understanding, not with 'my eyes wide shut', which is how I got into my 944.

I've had little issues like hatch struts and headlights.
Bigger issues like original coolant pipes and the cardan shaft (did the pipes before they blew and the Jimi fix on the shaft).

Throw in the odd issue like the starter (changed it when I did the pipes), and the 'wet wiring harness' under the carpet (only issue that left me stranded).
And the 'not surprising' stuff like oil changes and tires.

Right now, I'm getting the 'four wheel drive faulty' message, which means I'm likely going to be replacing the stepper motor when it warms up.
And the screen on the PCM is going weird (reverse contrast) sometimes.

All of this (and more) is part of the 'ownership experience'.

If you understand what you are getting into, and are willing to take on the risks and expense and hassle, great.
It's not for everyone.
I have no regrets on my purchase. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I'm no stranger to high maintenance cars, but what seems to be a high rate of unmitigatable engine destruction is just a bit much for me.

At this point a RR Sport seems like the safer bet of the two.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox_
I'm no stranger to high maintenance cars, but what seems to be a high rate of unmitigatable engine destruction is just a bit much for me.

At this point a RR Sport seems like the safer bet of the two.
Fair enough.

The cylinder scoring issue is a very serious one.

And one that PCNA seems to be completely ignoring (which seems to be typical behavior on their part).

But it's really hard to quantify.
Yes, there are a lot of them reported.
But there were lots and lots of them made.
There seem to be lots of them surviving (as many surviving over 100k miles as scored? More?)
And the sample size isn't very good. It's not in any way 'scientifically accurate' either.

As is typical with these types of forums, there are a lot more "I have this problem and need some help" threads than "I have this car and love it" threads.
So the problems (all of them, not just the scoring) get blown out of proportion.

Again, each person has to do the research, evaluate the info and make a decision they are comfortable with.
What is right for me may or may not be what's right for you or for anyone else. And what's right for you may or may not be right for me or anyone else.

In my case, I have a 955 CTT. The turbos seem to be less susceptible to it. I got it with 103k on the odo. It seems like the scoring appears in the 'mid to high 5 digit' miles range. It has lived in Wisconsin it's entire life.
So I believe that if it was going to happen, it would have happened already.
I could be wrong on that, and it could go bad tomorrow.
In which case, the car would get stripped out and junked.
And I have to go out and get a new(ish) car.

I'm comfortable with that. (again, 'eyes wide open')
Old 02-25-2018, 07:13 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

As I recall the cylinder scoring was primarily in the non-Turbo V8. I had a 955 CTT, and experienced many problems noted on this thread -- some were handled by extended warranty, some were not. Sold it at 60Kmi and bought the 958 (2 of them) with very few problems.

I disagree with others who opine that all those repair issues on the 955 are to be expected if one wants to go with Porsche. That first version was a disgrace, and Porsche should have made good on these defects; ultimately had to on the coolant pipe issue, but it took a class action to address that one. No one seemed to mention the strut on the parking brake or the water pump failures. And don't use struts if they are unreliable. They figured that one out on the 958.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm going to jump in here in vote for how much I love my 08 CTT.

Give it another year and who knows if I'll be saying the same........

BUT I did buy it a year ago and 15k miles later all I've done is oil changes. I'm about to do the coils, plugs and torque arm.

Bought the car because I knew that the big stuff had been done: all fuel pumps, rear coolant lines (and all seals that need to be done after that blows), cardon shaft, turbo diverter valves? etc. and that it should be fairly trouble free. I've had the damn trim pieces at the base of the doors pop off when kids get out of the car and I've fixed those but beyond that it's been a dream to own and at 87k miles I've got a long way to go still. No scoring and hopefully I miss that bomb.

About to replace the head unit but that's voluntary since I want BT and apple car play.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Reliability and Problems