Sponsored by:

Must have Torx set for Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Must have Torx set for Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

I'm just about done with my valve cover gasket job and intercooler pipe seals on my 05' Cayenne Turbo and wanted to give some tips to the board that I hope will help others. All the bolts to the valve covers are "torx" and "e torx" and there are a few that are almost impossible to get to unless you have a shallow torx set. I was lucky enough to find a nice set of shallow torx at Lowes onsale for $10 (normally $20). Currently this torx set is 50% off and was absolutely instrumental in me being able to remove some of those difficult reach torx bolts. If you plan on doing a valve cover job on your Cayenne I definitely recommend you pickup this torx set as it will make your life much easier!

I also learned a few things about Porsche's build quality from this era of vehicles. Call me crazy but I was absolutely appalled by the amount of "cheap" plastic bits everywhere. Not only that, but part placement along with bolt placement was not very well thought out! I sure would hate to be a Porsche mechanic getting flat rate for this job. I guess this is the modern way of doing things...

Man I miss the days when "german engineering" actually meant something. Pretty sure my cousins cheap Chevy Cruz has better material quality under the hood than my Porsche Cayenne Turbo.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Dan87951; 03-29-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:43 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'04 Cayenne S I replaced gaskets and also clean the area. Oil drain holes were almost plugged which is why I always heard a little knocking noise I guess. After I cleaned everything and grease flying all over God's creation it runs a lot smother and no knocking noise anymore.

Last edited by Fabianrou; 07-24-2015 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. I too have had my torx bits be too long and had to thread them through a gearwrench instead of clipping them onto a ratchet. It was when I was shimming my doors though.

By the way, good luck finding a triple square set out in town. Northern Tool had a nice set, but the auto parts stores, sears, and lowe's looked at me like I was crazy!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you guys took apart your valve covers, do the 955's have a piece of metal with 3 funnel runners going into the head that attaches to the backside of the valve cover?

Quick Reply: Must have Torx set for Valve Cover Gasket Replacement