Cayenne vs Touareg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:45 AM
watchit
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne vs Touareg?

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I thought this would be the best place to ask around as I assume I'm not the only one here that has been standing in front of this question.

Due to my job and for riding comfort I prefer driving an SUV.

I'm located in the EU so based upon the taxes as well as the EU regulations I want to buy an SUV with an ok CO2 emission.

I narrowed down my choice to the Cayenne and Touareg, both 3.0Tdi. Talking about model year 2011. The 958 model and 2011 Touareg (3?) model.

The hard thing I'm standing for now is the choice between both of them. They are both developed at the same time, using the same engine etc, everyone knows what I'm talking about.

If I read online reviews the Touareg gets chose most often, due to it's price vs quality.

So my question:

Why would you guys pick a Cayenne over a Touareg or why would you pick a Touareg over a Cayenne.

Let me say that the Cayenne is about €7k more expensive. This is the difference between a Touareg with a lot of options and a Cayenne with not many options.

It's a rational vs emotional choice and I'd like some input from you guys here. Obviously, the Porsche design etc is much nicer, I just don't know if it justifies the price difference since their specs are quite the same. Sure, driving pleasure will be better on the Porsche, but is it worth the €7k extra knowing that I get a loaded Treg at a cheaper price?

I'm not sure if I want to pay more just for another brand tag. Unless there's good reason to.

Curious for your input!
Thanks!

btw, these are the cars I'm debatting between:

Old 03-17-2015, 05:41 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Drive both for a comparison.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:45 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

@ watchit - we faced this question in 2011 when we were deciding on which SUV to get.

The things which led us to the Cayenne, in no particular order:

Seats in the Cayenne were superior from a comfort perspective.
The driving experience was far superior.
The look of the Cayenne was nicer to our eye (purely subjective )
The comments I had read on some VW and Porsche boards reinforced I would be happier with the Cayenne.

We purchased the V-6 Cayenne in summer 2011 and now have almost 160,000 km on her.
When I am driving this SUV, I am often struck by how much enjoyment I have gotten and continue to get.
I often find myself smiling and thinking "I am so happy with driving this!"

I have gotten more value from the extra price we paid for the Cayenne and would purchase another Porsche.
I would still do comparisons, because I am that sort of person, but I am sure the overall culture and performance of the Porsche brand will keep me here for years to come.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Drive both for a comparison.
This is it. Don't just go for the dealer prepared drive though, drive them like you really would.

If the way the Porsche doesn't appeal to you, then it's not worth the extra 7k.

BTW, I think T-Reg didn't start using the 958 platform until 2012 or 2013 (at least here in the US) so if they are both 2011s then I'm not sure you are comparing apples to apples.

For me (I have the TDI), I agree with RESP. It's hard to go through a single drive without a "god I love this thing" slipping out at some point. I've been unable to drive for a few weeks due to injury and was so happy to be back in it for a quick .5 mile test drive to see if my foot was ready or not (no ).

I tried to look at the T-Reg TDI (dealer had one but was too lazy to get it off the lot), but my issue is that I think VAG/PAG has the pricing wrong. The T-Reg feels over priced to me (at least partially due to bad VW experiences in the past), the Q7 is probably about right, and the Cayenne is a bit under priced (maybe the base and 3.0tdi need to go?). Given that view I find the Cayenne the best value for the money even though on paper it is a bit more expensive. Then you have the driving experience that (to me) tips the equation even farther in the Cayenne's favor.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

I'll add my experience in hopes it helps you out. I previously owned an 04CTT, sold it and bought a 2012 Touareg TDI. It was flawless mechanically, only issue I had was the chrome trim rusting out everywhere on the body (warranty wouldn't cover it...) it was approaching the time where I needed to look into extended warranty, cost was crazy to add it so I traded it for a 2014 Touareg R-Line TDI. Well, it happens to be the worst thing I've ever owned, in the three months of ownership it spent over a month in the shop, rattles, electrical issues, locking us out, strange noises, you name it it had it going on. The service I received was abysmal, no loaner vehicle offered, most of the problems were come and go, so they wanted to charge me to look into it (I videoed a majority of events-apparently that wasn't good enough). I had enough of the lackluster service, bought a new 2015 CD (my vehicle was still in the shop when it was traded- sight unseen by the Porsche dealer) so far the difference is amazing, the Porsche is leaps and bounds ahead in the interior, I swear it drives much better even though it's supposed to share the same suspension. No noises, no issues, does everything it's supposed to do. Best of all "IF" there is an issue I have access to a Porsche loaner, service is amazing, worth every penny to me IMO.
The Touareg was revamped in model year 2012, if you are looking at an 11 it's not the same as the one in the pic you posted.
I would personally drive both, get your opinions on both, look into service and what they will do for you. I took a loss, but I'm glad I moved on to get out of the constant headache with the piece of **** 2014 Touareg!
Best of luck, post up what you end up with
Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Since the OP is in EU, he's talking about year of manufacture and not MY (that's the way we do it here).

And I'd get the Porsche as well. The interior is waaaay better in a 958 than any touareg. And that's where you spend all of your time driving the car.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Since the OP is in EU, he's talking about year of manufacture and not MY (that's the way we do it here).
What's wrong with talking about "2012" cars that were actually built in 2011? I bet you like the metric system too

Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
What's wrong with talking about "2012" cars that were actually built in 2011? I bet you like the metric system too

Well, I'm used to talking MY w/ you guys, but most people from EU countries won't understand "there is no 2007 model". There were plenty p!gs built in 2007.
And yes, I do like metric waaay more than standard - especially in 10mm auto ;-)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Over the years, I looked at the T-Reg multiple times. I was never even compelled to take if for a test drive. One look at the Cayenne and I was smitten. Buying a car out of passion is part of my foolishness. Boring cars don't stay in my fleet for too long. Our CD is a great car, ride, handling, features, styling is spot on.
We own a '12 VW Jetta GLI, a terrific car that my kids fight over. However, my experience with servicing at the VW dealership is horrible. In fact, we were near purchasing the new Golf, that I squashed due to VW service. So no T-Reg for me, no matter how similar to the CD it is.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM
stijn_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the extra info guys. This definately helps.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

If you have to ask, you probably belong behind the wheel of the VW.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
If you have to ask, you probably belong behind the wheel of the VW.
+1 from the base Cayenne to the Turbo S there are probably 6 different cars. Power PDCC Air Susp PTV will totally transform how the car performs.
The WV is not in the same class as any of the Cayenne's. Go drive all of them if you can't tell any difference buy that one.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

The choice is quite hard to decide, IF you don't know what's most important to you. Here are the main differences and questions you need to answer:

1. Do you like (a) Value, (b) Luxury and prestige?
2. Is driving for (a) Getting from point a-b, or (b) enjoying the drive
3. Do you plan to keep the car (a) long and repair yourself, (b) change it in 3-4 years
4. 7K Euros makes (a) a lot of difference in my life, (b) it's not a big deal
5. You like (a) more cargo room, (b) nicer looking exterior/interior

Now, tally up the answers... if you have more (a) than (b), then get the Touareg, otherwise Cayenne
Old 03-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Cargo room when both seats folded is the same, it'S when the seats are up that there's a difference and I think it's because seats can be adjusted back and forth.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Inrev
Cargo room when both seats folded is the same, it'S when the seats are up that there's a difference and I think it's because seats can be adjusted back and forth.
The Touareg seats move as well, the Cayenne is slightly wider in the rear cargo area, it's a very small amount from what I see though between the two.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs Touareg?