Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You do realize that this is all YOUR fault, right?

Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Talking You do realize that this is all YOUR fault, right?

Hoo boy. What a long, strange trip it's been.

I got a 944 in 05. Didn't quite know what I was doing, but I did mostly ok.

For a variety of reasons, I got a 928 in Jan 13. I joined here at about that time, I'd been lurking as a visitor for a while doing research.
The guys over on the 928 forum are amazing. Tons of knowledge and even more willingness to help others.

I've had a Blazer for almost 18 years. Bought new in 97. It's getting old and tired, and I've been pondering replacing it.

Last summer, a couple of the guys over on the 928 board commented that 955s had depreciated like, well...

Rocks.

They noted that an 04-06 with around 100k miles could be found for well under $20k. They had issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. As the owner of an 83 944 and an 85 928, I have a decent toolkit and a fair amount of experience. Cardan shafts, cooling tube and coil packs. Oh my!

So I started looking around. A couple on Cars dot or Autotrader looked ok, but were usually too far away or overpriced or something.
Not in a hurry, but enjoying the search and continuing to research what I'd be getting into.

And a week or so ago, one popped up on Cars dot. 05 CTT. Local, one owner, dealer maintained, full records, reasonably priced.
Called & talked, found out the owner was getting a new Jeep Grand Cherokee (or whatever the top one is these days) and found out that the trade value was "not too good." He was waiting for his new car to show up and if he didn't sell the Porsche before it came in, then he'd eat the loss and trade it.

He's a really nice guy. Local business owner, he has a reputation as a "straight shooter." Not a guy who would try something shady.

Took a look and drove it. Nice shape. Some wear & tear, a couple dings & dents, nothing that was a surprise. Cardan & Cooling tubes were still original. But it came with a set of summer tires and a set of snows on their own rims. Thule roof rack too. Black outside, tan leather inside. Air suspension, good headlights, not a whole lot of other stuff.

We agreed on a price, and made arrangements for a PPI at the dealer. It turns out the dealer missed a couple things on the inspection (see my other thread about that), and the Cardan shaft was just beginning to go (rubber was starting to split). So we re-negotiated the price, down a few hundred to address the need for the shaft repair/replacement.

And met at the bank this morning to close the deal. Funny coincidence, he & I use the same bank. Same local branch too. So we went and talked to the nice folks there and simply transferred the money from my account to his. The bank let us use a conference room to fill out the paperwork too (they're nice folks too, it's why I've been there for a long time).

So now I have a 944, 928, and a 955 turbo. It's a lot of fun to drive. Gets to 90 almost as fast as the 928.

And all this is because of YOU GUYS. This is all YOUR fault.

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story and congrats.....hope she treats you well. The power is pretty ridiculous (read addictive) in these machines that's for sure.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!!! Looks very nice! Reminds me of my old one, still miss it lol
Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You already had a 928 and 944, so it's clear you were already nuts. Can't blame us for that

Congrats
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 AM
mas05
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

congrats!!! I too just picked up an 05TT!!

and I as well own a 928! but i am much worse off since i also own a 996!!! lol
Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats! I am an always surprised how often people turn their backs on cars that haven't had carden shaft and coolant pipes replaced. I've done both and neither were that big of a deal nor too expensive <$1000 to do both.

In the best case it may indicate a car that's been driven gently. I replaced my pipes/T's at the 7yr70K point and they were in perfect shape. Not brittle at all. The carden shaft had begun to show cracks in the rubber part of the bearing support at 105K. Replacements were done before any failure in both cases.

Of course it would be nice not to have to worry about these things but in the end they're no big deal.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard Joe!

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I still want to see someone swap the 955 turbo engine into a 928.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new addition to the family!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Congrats! I am an always surprised how often people turn their backs on cars that haven't had carden shaft and coolant pipes replaced. I've done both and neither were that big of a deal nor too expensive <$1000 to do both...
I've noticed that the level of DIY'ers is a lot lower than over in the 928 forum (not a criticism, just an observation).
When someone who doesn't turn wrenches regularly sees what's involved, it's a bit intimidating.

And when they see the $3500 quote from a dealer for both jobs, it's more than "just a bit" intimidating.

Originally Posted by gnat
You already had a 928 and 944, so it's clear you were already nuts. Can't blame us for that

Congrats
Well, the "your fault" part is that I could find and afford to buy this. I know perfectly well that it was a $93k car new (I got the window sticker in the records too ), but the idea that I could get it for well under 20 was not something I was aware of.

And I DON"T have a problem.

I can stop ANY TIME I want to.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
And I DON"T have a problem.

I can stop ANY TIME I want to.
If you think a $93k CTT for under 20 is a steal, you should swing by the 996 neck of the woods.

You should be safe seeing as you don't have a problem and all...
Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gnat
If you think a $93k CTT for under 20 is a steal, you should swing by the 996 neck of the woods.

You should be safe seeing as you don't have a problem and all...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem I have now is a "space" problem. I'm gonna need a bigger garage...

One that has heat...

And a lift...

And air...

And...
Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts
Default You do realize that this is all YOUR fault, right?

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem I have now is a "space" problem. I'm gonna need a bigger garage...

One that has heat...

And a lift...

And air...

And...

Welcome
And I feel you, I can't fit my cars including the 2 p!gs into my garage / driveway. And sadly, I've got nowhere to expand the garage :/
Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gets to 90 almost as fast as the 928.

And all this is because of YOU GUYS. This is all YOUR fault.

Thanks.
Congratulations, but I'd be shocked if the 928 got anywhere near it on 0-90!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, can't go wrong with 955 as long as you address few items like coolant pipes w/ T, cardan shaft, coils and there might be few minor items, but overall 955 is the best Cayenne so far IMHO!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You do realize that this is all YOUR fault, right?