2014 Cayenne Turbo S Leftover at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2014 Cayenne Turbo S Leftover at dealer

Hi all,

I've been looking at a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S( non-ceramic brakes), it's well loaded with almost everything in it. Sticker is $172,650 I can grab it for $142,250. It's got 12 miles on it. It's been sitting in the showroom since November and they are looking to dump it, every other week the sales manager calls me and takes another 1-2K off it.

I was wondering how good it is in the snow? I know I'm going to have to play the tyre and wheel game twice a year being in New Hampshire and this winter has been unreal on the seacoast. We've gotten over 140" of snow this year!

What can I expect for MPG?
What issues should I expect?
How reliable are these SUVs?
Are the high maintenance like the rovers?
They are offering me an extended warranty for 6yrs/150K miles , $100 deduct for $5625
Tire and Wheel protection package 6yrs for $1500
Ceramic Pro Platinum package ( lifetime war) $2699

I have a 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged now, on a good day with the wind pushing it , I'll pull 14.2 mpg out of it, 16 if I pray to the Rover gods. I cannot stand the new 13/14/15 rovers Ford look, the infotainment/navi, vehicle software and systems are complete rubbish! I do about 38,000 miles a year, been known to drive to NYC and back the same day many times. Boston is a quick run from the NH seacoast I'm there often as well. So I need a comfy , Boston traffic driving SUV , Northern New England winter/weather beast to tackle my everyday running around for work, personal and just because driving...

Thanks all!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Save 90% of your dollar and go find a nice used S.

Seriously: If you're driving in and around Boston most of the time, you're never going to get your foot more than 1/2 way down even on an on-ramp. What's the point of owning a truck with that much power?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Because I'm a spirited driver... I want the power on standby, I've driven the S and yeah it moves well, but 70-100+ it was OK wasn't impressed.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car for the long haul 6+ years then the extended warranty would probably be in your best interest since you put so many miles on it. In my opinion the other "packages" they are selling are just money makers for the dealer and I would pass on them.

The Cayenne does great in the snow and if you have all season tires there should be no need to swap out tires every year. The newer ones are still too new to talk about long term reliability. However, if history proves anything these cars will probably need suspension work and a driveshaft around the 70k-90k range. Other than that these cars are pretty bullet proof if taken care of. I would avoid the S and definitely go with the turbo. The S engine has a history of scored cylinders in colder climates.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an 09 TS, I think the engine is the same, the new models are a few hundred lbs lighter.

I do swap between snows and summers as well (here in boston, not up in portsmouth) I have had no problem with the truck in deep snow, etc.

The only thing I would mention is Porsche does like a 60/40 split of power, biased in the rear I believe.

As for gas mileage, I get around 15 with average driving, maybe on a long road trip close to 19.

Personally dont care about the MPG, other than the hassle of having to fill up more often as I love the boost

Also not sure how you feel about depreciation, but in 4 years that car will be worth half what you paid for it.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Forgot to mention these guys seem to have some great deals on left over Turbo's.

http://www.rizzaporsche.com/new-vehicles/cayenne/
Old 02-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI - I just bought a new 2015 Cayenne and considered the Tire/Wheel package.

I read through the fine print and found that a lot of what I wanted the coverage for wasn't covered. I have maybe curbed a few wheels in my day... and that was my main concern (since I have 21" wheels), not covered. Says if you hit a "fixed object" it is not covered. It also says if your primary insurance covers the claim, that you have to go that route first. It does cover pot holes, crap laying on the road, etc...but I have never damaged a wheel that way. Anyway...read the detail before making a decision on that package, as it sounds a little better then it really is (in my opinion). I also read the BBB reviews and they were full of people not happy with the fact that claims were rejected for items they "felt" should be covered (again a reason to read the fine print on a warranty).
Old 02-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Save yourself 75% of your money and buy this '09 turbo for $41k from someone on the forum?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post12051699
Old 02-19-2015, 01:13 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Thanks Dan. Yeah I want the v8 turbo for sure, I've driven every model there is, and turbo or turbo S for sure! I heard the suspensions ( just like the rovers) are problematic 75-90K , thats why I always do the extended warrantee and make sure all the suspension components are covered 100%. Driveshaft I heard few issues about on these, but doesn't seem that pressing if it's covered by the extended warr.

Touateg: Thanks! Just wondering if it would be worse on the MPG than the cinderblock with 4-wheels rovers. If I'm at 16-20 range with the Cayenne I'll be happy ! Winter with the rover I'm averaging 10.8 right now hwy driving, last weekend around the seacoast I pulled a whooping 6.8mpg! woo woo ! passed everything but a gas station. Depreciation is common with me on vehicles, thats what the CPA is for ;-) and his problem to deal with, and all my business travels. I have triplogik mounted on the Dash, twice a year I stop by his office let him download the GPS data ( push a button on it for personal travel, or logs it as business travel automatically monday to friday). Rovers are 60/40 I believe as well, but the Cayenne you can lock the diffs unlike the Rovers that you have to let the systems burn up the brakes to get traction.

I think I'm going to go buy it today, I've had 5 rovers and it's time for a change. Like I said I've driven all the new rovers and I can't stand how menu driven the systems area, to change the heated seat settings you push a physical button , then have to go up to the screen and adjust the settings on a tiny screen. The reduction of buttons was a stupid move, it's very distracting to adjust anything on the nav, sound system, or other settings while driving and having to find your way threw menus and menus. The Meridian sound systems isn't good it almost always sounds muffled even after I tried adjusting it. Also the electric power steering is numb feeling and I don't like the lack of connection with the road. The sports look like a Ford Explorer on steroids, the full size is just too big for me being/traveling alone 85% most of the time.

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 02-19-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:27 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan87951
If you plan on keeping the car for the long haul 6+ years then the extended warranty would probably be in your best interest since you put so many miles on it. In my opinion the other "packages" they are selling are just money makers for the dealer and I would pass on them.

The Cayenne does great in the snow and if you have all season tires there should be no need to swap out tires every year. The newer ones are still too new to talk about long term reliability. However, if history proves anything these cars will probably need suspension work and a driveshaft around the 70k-90k range. Other than that these cars are pretty bullet proof if taken care of. I would avoid the S and definitely go with the turbo. The S engine has a history of scored cylinders in colder climates.
Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
FYI - I just bought a new 2015 Cayenne and considered the Tire/Wheel package.

I read through the fine print and found that a lot of what I wanted the coverage for wasn't covered. I have maybe curbed a few wheels in my day... and that was my main concern (since I have 21" wheels), not covered. Says if you hit a "fixed object" it is not covered. It also says if your primary insurance covers the claim, that you have to go that route first. It does cover pot holes, crap laying on the road, etc...but I have never damaged a wheel that way. Anyway...read the detail before making a decision on that package, as it sounds a little better then it really is (in my opinion). I also read the BBB reviews and they were full of people not happy with the fact that claims were rejected for items they "felt" should be covered (again a reason to read the fine print on a warranty).
Thanks ! I checked it's unlimited coverage if purchased at the time of delivery with the 5-star new vehicle extended warrantee, with " comedic damage" for curb rashes. Unlimited use.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:29 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Save yourself 75% of your money and buy this '09 turbo for $41k from someone on the forum?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post12051699
Only have 2 parkings spots in my condo building, my other half has the other parking spot. Going to stick with a SUV that can do and perform as 2-3 vehicles.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
Only have 2 parkings spots in my condo building, my other half has the other parking spot. Going to stick with a SUV that can do and perform as 2-3 vehicles.
Well, I don't understand what that has to do with the idea of buying an '09 Turbo S for $41K vice a 14 Turbo S for $175k, but good luck with the buy. Enjoy your P!g!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Well, I don't understand what that has to do with the idea of buying an '09 Turbo S for $41K vice a 14 Turbo S for $175k, but good luck with the buy. Enjoy your P!g!

Sorry was on my cell phone when I looked mobile, thought you were talking about a car.... I don't buy used, I only buy new, so that my CPA can deal with the depreciation, taxes, miles, maintenance, etc. I like buying new with the latest toys , with warrantees and hopefully better quality.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:54 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
The Cayenne does great in the snow and if you have all season tires there should be no need to swap out tires every year.
At 38k/year, you're going to be swapping out tires every year due to wear anyway. Dedicated summer/winter isn't such a bad idea at that point.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
At 38k/year, you're going to be swapping out tires every year due to wear anyway. Dedicated summer/winter isn't such a bad idea at that point.
I always buy fresh tyres for the Winter or no more than 2 winter seasons. Traveling in NH, ME, VT for skiing, then NYC, CT, RI, MA for work.. it's just not worth the risk for crappy tyres to be on my vehicles. Soon as my tyres hit 4-5/32 they are replaced.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayenne Turbo S Leftover at dealer