Sponsored by:

DIY 2008 CTT PDCC Reservoir Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY 2008 CTT PDCC Reservoir Replacement

Well I tackled this job today and it was super easy. I think all in all it took me about 20 minutes or so. I took pictures for anyone else that wants to do it themselves. I would recommend if you plan on doing the power steering reservoir then I would do it the same time. The reason why is you have to remove the PDCC reservoir out of the way to do the Power Steering reservoir. Both reservoirs are the exact same item, same part number and all atleast on my 08 CTT.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the write up.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you very much for making this. Anyone with pdcc will benefit from it.

Can you please advise how much fluid it takes to compete the job for one reservoir? I'm guessing at least one quart.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 AM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your just doing the pdcc reservoir only then 1 quart is enough. If you plan on doing both pdcc and power steering then get 2.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 AM
jayhutch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
If your just doing the pdcc reservoir only then 1 quart is enough. If you plan on doing both pdcc and power steering then get 2.
Tell me if this decreased the annoying sound of the PDCC system at all, or is it just for the suggested routine maintenance? I absolutely LOVE my Cayenne Turbo S, but the sound of the PDCC pump is much louder than I expected and disrupts the classic sound of a Porsche at idle. - hutch
Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayhutch
Tell me if this decreased the annoying sound of the PDCC system at all, or is it just for the suggested routine maintenance? I absolutely LOVE my Cayenne Turbo S, but the sound of the PDCC pump is much louder than I expected and disrupts the classic sound of a Porsche at idle. - hutch
i did this.....no change to noise
Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

Can you post a sound clip of the noise you are describing?

I suspect that your pump is failing if it is making noise. Mine is completely quiet even after 84K miles. My reservoir was changed out at the correct interval.

There is a detailed procedure from Porsche about how to change the pump out. IIRC, it requires specialized equipment and is not for the DIYer...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice work!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've read this is recommended maintenance at 45,000 miles because of the filter in the reservoir. Is the power steering reservoir recommended for replacement at the same interval? It would seem to make sense, but I haven't read that anywhere.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:32 AM
jayhutch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TomF
Can you post a sound clip of the noise you are describing?

I suspect that your pump is failing if it is making noise. Mine is completely quiet even after 84K miles. My reservoir was changed out at the correct interval.

There is a detailed procedure from Porsche about how to change the pump out. IIRC, it requires specialized equipment and is not for the DIYer...

Cheers,
TomF
From everything I've learned & heard Tom, yours may be a VERY rare completely quiet Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S dual PDCC/power steering pump. Even my local Porsche dealer says "that noise is normal. They all make that humm." I'm wondering if the newer Cayenne's with PDCC are noisy too? (2012 and newer)

As you can see from the posts here, and elsewhere on Rennlist, we have members who replaced their dual PDCC/power steering pump and the sound didn't go away. Are you sure your Cayenne has PDCC?

- hutch
Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

My 2012 958 CTT with PDCC is quiet. or at least I cannot hear it above the engine sounds.
=Steve
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

As you can see from the posts here, and elsewhere on Rennlist, we have members who replaced their dual PDCC/power steering pump and the sound didn't go away. Are you sure your Cayenne has PDCC?

- hutch
Yep. It sure does. I spent nearly a year looking for the right P!G with PDCC, Pano and the correct color.

IMHO, the 4.8l is a bit of a noisy engine, and I suspect that accounts for the challenges in discerning what is a "real" noise and what is normal. When I first got my CTT, the day after my PPI, I took the car back to the Indy and asked him, "Is this normal?" I thought I was hearing all sorts of noises, and I have since been around enough Cayenne turbos to know what the base line noises are.

I am scrambling to head out of town on a much-needed vacation right now, but when I get back I will try to post a video of what my engine sounds like.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM
timwu12
Instructor

From everything I've learned & heard Tom, yours may be a VERY rare completely quiet Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S dual PDCC/power steering pump. Even my local Porsche dealer says "that noise is normal. They all make that humm." I'm wondering if the newer Cayenne's with PDCC are noisy too? (2012 and newer)

- hutch
Yup, can't miss it when it says it on the center console!

Grey colored instruments and buttons for the sport button and suspension setting control = PDCC

Black colored ones = No PDCC

http://preview.netcarshow.com/Porsch...008-800-1d.jpg
Old 01-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice write up.thank u!
Old 01-15-2016, 11:12 AM
jayhutch
Intermediate

Default That annoying PDCC whine

Originally Posted by TomF
Yep. It sure does. I spent nearly a year looking for the right P!G with PDCC, Pano and the correct color.

IMHO, the 4.8l is a bit of a noisy engine, and I suspect that accounts for the challenges in discerning what is a "real" noise and what is normal. When I first got my CTT, the day after my PPI, I took the car back to the Indy and asked him, "Is this normal?" I thought I was hearing all sorts of noises, and I have since been around enough Cayenne turbos to know what the base line noises are.

I am scrambling to head out of town on a much-needed vacation right now, but when I get back I will try to post a video of what my engine sounds like.

Cheers,
Tom
How great yours is quite Tom. What year? Have fun on vacation. In the meantime here is an interesting movie clip from Ken Rockwell's great website (if your a photographer). Its his review of a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S. His son is starting his CTTS and once started ... there is the exact sound mine makes too. Here is a link to the review http://kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/ and to the short vid clip http://kenrockwell.com/ryan/images/2...2/IMG_1005.MOV. I have found a bunch of different video clips of that sound. Doesn't it sound just like the power steering pump in a vintage muscle car?

- hutch

Quick Reply: DIY 2008 CTT PDCC Reservoir Replacement