Sponsored by:

Cayenne PCM 2 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Bill 944 S2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne PCM 2 Problems

I've read through a few websites discussing this but they seem to be a few years old, and mostly whine about how bad their systems is...Please, lets no go that route here.

So, my problem is I have a 2006 CTT, only had it a month and everything is great. Then the radio died. No Porsche logo on the screen, No error messages, just a faint flicker of what looks like a backlight and lines on the screen.

This flicker is every couple of seconds and stays there with or without the key, engine off/on etc. and doesn't stop.

Tried the "148"reset & nothing
Pulled the fuses from the right side box #11,12,13. After leaving it overnight when I put fuses back in it all came to life (for a few minutes...) then died again

Have tried various permutations of which fuse to pull to get this back to life and only when all 3 are pulled (and you wait for a long time to let capacitor "i think??" to drain) will it think about coming back. but only for a short time. The longest I got it back was for 2 days.

So, the big question, anyone got any good ideas for what is the culprit for this fault??

When I reinsert the #12 (30 amp) fuse I get a crackle like power is being arced across the connection, this is my clue that it will come back to life, if it doesn't do that it invariably is still in it's :faint screen flicker" condition.

It's a most frustrating fault. It is a "used" car so no warranty or comeback (which I accept and don't have an issue with) so I only have my own wits to try and resolve this.

I've read lots about how Porsche don't want to own this, so, what have our own people worked out here?

It seems to be like a computer boot up fault, and would suspect a cold soldered joint or loose connector sort of fault, but why would it be fixed with a fuse removal/refit?

Could it be a capacitor thing? is this likely? I've been a mechanic for years and worked many a computer glitch too, but this one is a bit beyond me in diagnostics, and I'm limited in what I can pull apart to check.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:38 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're looking for how to solve the specific issue you described... but I consider the PCM a 10-year-worn part on my '04 CTT. Like a cardan shaft, coolant pipes, etc. I got my money's worth, but now I'm closely watching the Dynavin thread - in part because the PCMs are expensive to fix/replace; in part because I want everything I wish it came with years ago.

I don't keep phones or laptops 5 years; my PCM was tired and dated 5 years ago. Might be worth letting her go...
Old 12-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Bill 944 S2
Track Day

Thanks Sean, Yeah I've been thinking that too, shame it decided to die just as I buy it, but what fun would that be if there was nothing to fix...

What I'm hoping for is the "radio" guy (or gal??) who has got P**ed off enough to decide to take it apart and find that it is a simple "relay/capacitor/ favorite dry joint, etc" that causes this specific fault. I used to know a few of these people who just tinkered with stuff, but that was way back in the very old days...
and again, I'm not getting any errors, just a funny/weird loss of power that seems to be resetable by playing with fuses.

That, and I've read how replacing these at massive cost doesn't fix the problem!!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Over the years these have gone, most go the eBay route to replace or the alternative systems
Its hard to figure out whats wrong but you might take it out and see if a regular radio/amp/tv guy can test it

At this age tho I tend to agree it might just be shot
Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to hedge your bets, there's an outfit parting out an '05 Cayenne on Sacramento Craigslist, listing the PCM for $320.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Bill 944 S2
Track Day

Ah, very interesting. That would be a reasonable price too. Ill look them up. Thanks Sean.

Still, in continuing my eternal search for answers I found this article from Renntech;

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...board-surgery/

Bigsuzuki (the author) is just the kind of person I was hoping to find, an electronics guy who has the ability to look at a circuit board and make an educated assessment. (kudos to you bigsuzuki ) Wish I could send my unit to you for a once over.
I'm going to have a look at my unit and see if I can generate a similar fault/rectification. Stay tuned.....
Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 AM
YRW
1st Gear

Default Any updates on the failed PCM adventure?

Originally Posted by Bill 944 S2
Ah, very interesting. That would be a reasonable price too. Ill look them up. Thanks Sean.

Still, in continuing my eternal search for answers I found this article from Renntech;

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...board-surgery/

Bigsuzuki (the author) is just the kind of person I was hoping to find, an electronics guy who has the ability to look at a circuit board and make an educated assessment. (kudos to you bigsuzuki ) Wish I could send my unit to you for a once over.
I'm going to have a look at my unit and see if I can generate a similar fault/rectification. Stay tuned.....
Hi Bill!

Hope this finds you well after almost 4 years!

I am currently having the same problem with the PCM (long-term blackouts and suddenly coming on for a day tops). Please let me know what eventually solved the problem for you?

Thank you very much!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:12 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by YRW
Hi Bill!

Hope this finds you well after almost 4 years!

I am currently having the same problem with the PCM (long-term blackouts and suddenly coming on for a day tops). Please let me know what eventually solved the problem for you?

Thank you very much!
From an Electronic Tech. forty+ years in the field.

Even if you could find schematics the active components are likely end of life...no longer available.

In addition the time it would take to repair the PCM will likely exceed its value.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:53 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Classic symptoms of software corruption, leading to full motherboard failure. If you wanna stay OEM....you got one of 2 options:

a) Buy used matching PCM unit and have Porsche $tealer code it to your vin, for full functionality = $700-$800

b) Have Becker Autosound LLC rebuild your existing unit, for $680/shipped. Plug n' play

Quick Reply: Cayenne PCM 2 Problems