Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator

Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window regulator

My 04 CS right front window does not open. The cable from the regulator broke.
I got the panel out and i can see the wire snapped. I want to buy another window regulator. Does anyone know is the Touareg window regulator fits? It cost one third of the Cayenne regulator and both are VW.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

Cayenne:

Touareg:

sure seems the same to me, Cayenne one cost +160$ while the Touareg one costs around 60$.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

Anyone?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

part number is the same
Old 11-13-2014, 03:01 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If the part number are the same i think you should be good to go. Maybe ask the vendor if it shows up the same in their parts system.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

I tried but they say it is not the same. I ordered it anyway. I'm pretty confident it'll fit.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:10 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeroen Pipelers
I tried but they say it is not the same. I ordered it anyway. I'm pretty confident it'll fit.
That's the spirit it's worth a risk even with a restocking fee if it doesn't fit.

Let us know one way or the other, it's always useful to know other peoples findings on parts.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be watching this one. my passenger side regulator is out.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

It's not so hard to do. Door panel has to come off though, you need to drill 4 holes. Door cover is riveted. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Jeroen Pipelers; 11-14-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 PM
matt_o_70
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is timely.. Mine just let go. So is that confirmation that the VW part is direct fit. I assume it would be?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

It is correct indeed mine was changed today.
It's a lot of work but it's not so hard. There are 4 bolts holding the window mechanism. When you get these bolts out you can just take out everything. Mirror, window and mechanism come out as one. Drill the regulator out. Et voila you can put everything back.

So for all of you who like saving +100$ the Touareg regulator is the exact same as ours. I loved helping you guys out. Now if anyone can help me out with my other problem please?

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeroen Pipelers:
D!NGO (01-27-2020), RS-America (03-14-2024)
Old 12-04-2014, 10:19 PM
matt_o_70
Advanced

So after removing the door panel I see the inner cover has torx screws and once you remove these the panel is not exactlly free to come off just yet.

At this point I can remove the 3 torx screws holding the motor onto the inner skin but you still have to get access to the insides.

Does the upper window frame and mirror /mirror mount all come out all as one very large piece - Such that you have to remove the 4 large Bolts holding the top window frame to the lower door?

OR do you drill out the rivets and leave the upper window frame attached to the door?

Matt
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

I drilled out the rivets but there is no need for that. You can take out all as one by removing those 4 bolts. Everything comes out now. Now drill out the rivets holding the regulator in place and there you are.
The following users liked this post:
therossinator (10-16-2019)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:52 AM
matt_o_70
Advanced

Wanted to post my follow up experience since I have now been inside the door a few times.

The window regulator is riveted onto the door window frame, this is mounted to the outside of the window frame. The only way to service this is to remove the frame from the door and lift it out.

Inner door panel has both Torxs screws and rivits securing it onto the window frame. Remove the torxs screws, drill out the rivits and remove the wires and inner handle cable in order to get the inner panel separated from the window frame.

I had good luck with the $20 Regulator rebuild cable kit from Ebay. The window regulator pulleys have a special cam shape that is for starting the cable and then rolling the cables up onto the rollers after winding the cable onto the motor spool.

this is the cable on the cam - to start and walk the cable up into its pulley

Once you have all 4 cables set up and the cable on the spool, slide the spool into the motor drive bracket. Make sure that you have the pulley facing the correct way with the splines for the motor gear visible. put a loose zip tie thru the middle of the spool and around the bracket to prevent the spool from poping out of the bracket and undoing all your hard work.

This allows you to replace just the cable which is often the problem. Align all the cams so that the short flat side of the cam lobe has the cable running over it (see photo) - this provides the maximum slack in the cable - so that you can wind the cable onto the spool and get cables into the motor drive housing properly. take pictures before to disassemble the regulator to know how things were setup initially.

You will now want to move the window up or down a few times to get the cable to walk its way up on the cam and drop into the groove in the pulley. make sure that they all walk into the pulley before you put things back together.

there are also adjustable spacers that you want to collapse in a bit before you attempt to reinstall the window fame to the car door. They will adjust out as you rotate the large bolt that fastens the window frame to the car door. Make sure that they are extended to make contact with the inside of the door before you tighten the 4 large bolts.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More pictures anyone of the fitted regulator

Hi does anyone have a picture of the door with the regulator replaced and where each cable goes around thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window regulator