Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd worry about keeping up with traffic

</joking>

*ducks
Old 12-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Jbdehoyos
Rennlist Member

I just did my oil separator diaphragm, took a little while since it was the first time doing it but came out perfect. My 2010 has 105,000 and runs solid.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Douglas61
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jbdehoyos for the info. Could you please share a bit more on what you did, like the basic steps and cautions? Where did you buy your parts, ecstuning?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:02 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jbdehoyos
I just did my oil separator diaphragm, took a little while since it was the first time doing it but came out perfect. My 2010 has 105,000 and runs solid.
You did the job yourself? Congrats that's a hell of a job for a DIY'er. That intake sure is fun to get off no?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Jbdehoyos
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I wrench a lot on my cars. Everything came off pretty easy, the trickiest part was when your putting the intake back on to get the lower fuel rail aligned. Once it aligned, snug it up because once you tighten the intake it moves and its a pain to realign after that. Majority of the parts all came from Pelican Parts except the fuel injector seals I replaced, those came for the dealer. There's a site that sells just the diaphragm if you don't want to buy the full valve cover but they have some decent step by steps, here is the link.

https://vanos-bmw.com/product/diaphr...se-ventilation

If any of you decide to do the job and get stuck just PM me and I'll help you through where ever your stuck.

Joser
Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 PM
Earthen
4th Gear

I had my Cayenne 2008 3.6 V6 for about 4 years now been having a few issues at I cannot seem to solve. just wondering if by chance you a had experienced some of the same issues.
got 2 issues not sure if they are related or not. First is I'm getting black smoke out of the tail pipe on cold starts it lasts for about 30 seconds until the engine rpm's start to come down then the smokes stops. will not see any more smoke until the next morning.
My Second issue is (what I think is) low rpm's and heavy vibrations when siting and idling or just waiting at a red light. I'm not sure what the normal idling rpm's are for the V6 but I'm getting between 650 and 720rpm and the vibrations are worse the lower it goes. I've tried lightly putting my foot on the gas and the vibrations seem to stop at around 800.
I've done some of my own work trying to figure it out but nothing seems to have made any difference so far. I've changed all 3 engine mounts, all 6 injectors ( I did have one leaking so changed them all), all new spark plugs, coolant temp sensor ( was faulty) I tested the fuel pumps by removing the fuse for each one at a time and the engine seems to run fine on either pump. my Latest attempt a few days ago was to clean the intake and it seems to have got rid of some of the smoke at start up. about 70% of it maybe. but I'm still checking it to make sure.

any help would be great thanks

Last edited by Earthen; 01-30-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: type O
Old 01-30-2019, 02:17 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Earthen
I've done some of my own work trying to figure it out but nothing seems to have made any difference so far. I've changed all 3 engine mounts, all 6 injectors ( I did have one leaking so changed them all), all new spark plugs, coolant temp sensor ( was faulty) I tested the fuel pumps by removing the fuse for each one at a time and the engine seems to run fine on either pump. my Latest attempt a few days ago was to clean the intake and it seems to have got rid of some of the smoke at start up. about 70% of it maybe. but I'm still checking it to make sure.
Did you replace the coils?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Earthen
4th Gear

No i have not replaced the coils but computer says no misfires on all cylinders

thanks for the reply
Old 01-30-2019, 06:30 PM
Earthen
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Pillow
Did you replace the coils?
at what rpm does your porsche iddle
Old 02-11-2019, 02:35 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am actively searching for a V6 957, have to say the lack of activity in this thread is a good sign.
The following users liked this post:
AdamB996 (07-09-2022)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:29 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I have owned my 2009 Cayenne V6 for past 1.5 months. My car has 176K miles and so far the issues with the engine that I've noticed:
  • rough running/whistling noise from the intake area -probably oil separator diaphragm like @Jbdehoyos mentioned
  • coolant leak from the pipe on the right side of the engine, https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...ant-leak-help/
  • Leaky valve cover gasket that's filling spark plug wells slowly with oil. Spark plugs needs replacing as a result.
  • Probably intake gaskets are done too since rough idle and hesitation gets worse when the engine is warm
These issues seem to be pretty common issues with this V6. Well, changing valve cover gasket won't be easy like in an older BMW inline 6 or your typical V6 engine, but we'll see how it goes.

Looks like I'll be spending a nice day on a weekend working on my car when the weather warms up so I can take care of all these while I have the intake manifold out.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Mark Fraser
4th Gear

08 150,000 mi. Love the car. Engine sounds and feels strong. Cat converters getting rattly and their temp slow to come up, doesn't bother me at 3000 miles/yr. Battery lasted 10 years, tranny cooler was leaky, and rear hatch shock was soft. bought 15 mos ago on a whim, haven;'t looked back!
The following users liked this post:
AdamB996 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 11:33 PM
CaddieWampus
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Earthen
I had my Cayenne 2008 3.6 V6 for about 4 years now been having a few issues at I cannot seem to solve. just wondering if by chance you a had experienced some of the same issues.
got 2 issues not sure if they are related or not. First is I'm getting black smoke out of the tail pipe on cold starts it lasts for about 30 seconds until the engine rpm's start to come down then the smokes stops. will not see any more smoke until the next morning.
My Second issue is (what I think is) low rpm's and heavy vibrations when siting and idling or just waiting at a red light. I'm not sure what the normal idling rpm's are for the V6 but I'm getting between 650 and 720rpm and the vibrations are worse the lower it goes. I've tried lightly putting my foot on the gas and the vibrations seem to stop at around 800.

any help would be great thanks

Know this is a few years out now but how was the process on doing the engine and transmission mounts? I've got a 2008 Base that needs them done and the dealer is quoting me almost $3000 to do just the fronts. I can get the parts from FCP to Hawaii for $300.

If anyone has insight on the easiest way of getting them changed, it'd be much appreciated.

Mahalo 🤙

Quick Reply: 957 3.6 V6 Common problems?