Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sound System Subpar

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bose's biggest ad buys are "Sunday Parade" and AARP Magazine. Nuff said.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:51 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

The stock stereo in the 964 sucks. What came in my dads 71 911 sucked as well. His 928 was only marginally better. My Toyota pick up truck has a much better stereo.....but it's nowhere near as enjoyable to drive as the 964.

I'm sensing a trend here - and surprised that Porsche is able to sell a single car here in the states.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Sad to see that once again we're seeing a thread where Porsche owners would be happier with a Buick. I do not get it.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I've said before in other threads I love my GTS. It's the best all around driving experience I've had. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement at little extra cost to Porsche, just extra time deciding how to build it. A high production vehicle that costs this much should not have the issues I write about. No excuses.

I've looked at a couple of videos of people going to great lengths to upgrade their sound systems and that is way over the top for what I want. If I was going to go to that much trouble it would be to gain more power form the engine.

I also went on Focal's website and they had nothing of substance listed for a 2013 or 14 Cayenne. If I'm missing something post some links.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Sad to see that once again we're seeing a thread where Porsche owners would be happier with a Buick. I do not get it.
Then why do you keep reading threads on subjects that you don't like? Not everyone is as myopic as you and appreciates a more well rounded experience from their SUV. Get over it.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a car, I'm happy with the Bose and yes I do appreciate good sound.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by modifier
As I've said before in other threads I love my GTS. It's the best all around driving experience I've had. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement at little extra cost to Porsche, just extra time deciding how to build it. A high production vehicle that costs this much should not have the issues I write about. No excuses.

I've looked at a couple of videos of people going to great lengths to upgrade their sound systems and that is way over the top for what I want. If I was going to go to that much trouble it would be to gain more power form the engine.

I also went on Focal's website and they had nothing of substance listed for a 2013 or 14 Cayenne. If I'm missing something post some links.
Let me explain myself further before I create more hostility for my Buick comments.

Porsche, even as part of VAG, is a small auto company. It, unlike other marques, has remained fairly true to its roots in the the cars it puts its label upon.

Frex, the Cayenne is clearly 'the Porsche of SUV's'. By that, I mean its driving dynamics are well beyond that of any other SUV in the world. Well beyond.

Let me give you a concrete example. Last autumn, my wife and I took our Cayenne to Durango, CO. We spent several days in the high mountain passes around Silverton where a high clearance vehicle was mandatory. While I'm sure other SUV's could have done those things, we saw none. There were plenty of Jeeps and few other vehicles in sight (a few bikes).

On the way back, taking the longer way through some nice scenery mountain roads, we kept a pace at least equal to what we would have done with our 993.

Porsche obviously thought of the world of dynamics and performance for this vehicle and then set its design / engineering crew to create that spec. It succeeded. Sure, to produce this, Porsche had to cut some corners and since it sells fewer cars than other car companies, has to mark them up more to pay its fixed overhead and indirect staff such as those engineers.

I can see this leaves no room to make these things into floating pleasure palaces where HVAC comes out vents in the A and B pillars (as asked for here) or that there are facilities to cram your pie hole full of greasy hamburgers and places that cool your soda pop as you lumber on down the road (asked for here) and other items.

For all I know there is no room for a more sophisticated sound system, but so what? We have, here, in our podunk town, a sound place where the high end vehicles go to get the sound the owners want. Order radio delete or the cheap stuff and then finish the car the way you wish.

Personally, I want Porsche to continue to develop this car as a DRIVING machine and am glad it doesn't submit to the sybaritic demands of people who don't seem able to appreciate they they have the best DRIVING SUV in the world - no contest.

As I said, I don't get it.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gnat
Then why do you keep reading threads on subjects that you don't like? Not everyone is as myopic as you and appreciates a more well rounded experience from their SUV. Get over it.
I enjoyed the thread until we got into Buick country. Please read my longer response above this one. Agree? Or not?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Let me explain myself further before I create more hostility for my Buick comments.

Porsche, even as part of VAG, is a small auto company. It, unlike other marques, has remained fairly true to its roots in the the cars it puts its label upon.

Frex, the Cayenne is clearly 'the Porsche of SUV's'. By that, I mean its driving dynamics are well beyond that of any other SUV in the world. Well beyond.

Let me give you a concrete example. Last autumn, my wife and I took our Cayenne to Durango, CO. We spent several days in the high mountain passes around Silverton where a high clearance vehicle was mandatory. While I'm sure other SUV's could have done those things, we saw none. There were plenty of Jeeps and few other vehicles in sight (a few bikes).

On the way back, taking the longer way through some nice scenery mountain roads, we kept a pace at least equal to what we would have done with our 993.

Porsche obviously thought of the world of dynamics and performance for this vehicle and then set its design / engineering crew to create that spec. It succeeded. Sure, to produce this, Porsche had to cut some corners and since it sells fewer cars than other car companies, has to mark them up more to pay its fixed overhead and indirect staff such as those engineers.

I can see this leaves no room to make these things into floating pleasure palaces where HVAC comes out vents in the A and B pillars (as asked for here) or that there are facilities to cram your pie hole full of greasy hamburgers and places that cool your soda pop as you lumber on down the road (asked for here) and other items.

For all I know there is no room for a more sophisticated sound system, but so what? We have, here, in our podunk town, a sound place where the high end vehicles go to get the sound the owners want. Order radio delete or the cheap stuff and then finish the car the way you wish.

Personally, I want Porsche to continue to develop this car as a DRIVING machine and am glad it doesn't submit to the sybaritic demands of people who don't seem able to appreciate they they have the best DRIVING SUV in the world - no contest.

As I said, I don't get it.
You can get air vents on the B-pillars, you just need to order the 4-zone climate control.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 PM
TGED
Instructor

Porsche has definitely done a lot on the performance side of their vehicles, but often neglecting the everyday practicality. I have noticed short comings on my Cayenne 958 during the first day of ownership. Just look at the rear center armrest, it is so difficult to fold down. Can't they put in some kind of handle or strap? The 958 is in its 4th year and they still haven't changed that.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 AM
pcst
Racer

I'm pretty satisfied with my BOSE system, I bet ya high end aftermarket system will sound better though if setup properly.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am happy with my BOSE upgrade in my 2009 GTS.

Is Porsche known for their driving, or their sound system performance? Speakers will go bad and they should be relatively simple to replace.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TGED
Porsche has definitely done a lot on the performance side of their vehicles, but often neglecting the everyday practicality. I have noticed short comings on my Cayenne 958 during the first day of ownership. Just look at the rear center armrest, it is so difficult to fold down. Can't they put in some kind of handle or strap? The 958 is in its 4th year and they still haven't changed that.
I can see bringing up issues like this because they are easy to address, and I agree should be if this is a difficulty (957 here).

What I think, though, is rather than asking Porsche to put significant money in an upgraded sound system, I'd request it shave a few kgs off of unsprung mass or even decrease the entire vehicle mass even further than the 957 -> 958 change.

I mean, I can easily put in a sound system of my choice but removing a few kgs of unsprung mass would be well beyond my abilities and pocketbook.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you realize this or not, but Porsche shaved >400# during the 957->958 transition. It was as a result of removing the six speed tranny and transfer case in favor of the electronic 8-speed Aisin transmission and a fixed front/rear drive split (40/60). Curb weight on my CD is 4795 pounds. The base V6 and V8 are even lighter at 4398 and 4553 pounds respectively. By comparison, the base BMX X5 weighs 4680, the base Mercedes ML350 is 4652 pounds.

//greg//
Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Yes, I am and if you read my post above yours, I comment about the mass loss in the 957 -> 958 model changeover. I appreciate this but would prefer seeing even more vehicle dynamic improvement in lieu of things like sound systems which, due to greatly personal preference, are never one size fits all AND easily fitted post purchase.

I can't very well reduce my 957 to a 958 mass no matter how I try but putting in a different sound system is trivial.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sound System Subpar