Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Actuator Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
koboudi1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not fixed. The light comes on and off intermittently. Just had oil change and mechanic said it's the same error code. tends to go off after a highway drive, but not always.

Are you having same issue? Do you have the actual error code?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 AM
bbb bbb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes it's just P1372, other times it's just P1351, P1353, & P1354. Recently I got the P0303 in addition. I usually just clear them and it takes an agressive run to have them return.

The fault codes I am getting are:

P1351 - valve lift control, cylinder 1

P1353 - valve lift control, cylinder 3

P1354 - valve lift control, cylinder 4

P1372 - valve lift control, bank 1

P0303 - misfire cylinder 3

Now, more often I get P1372 after about 50km of driving and the other codes are "pending". I have a VAG-COM, not Durametric. Thus far I have cleaned MAF's, changed air filters, checked for vacuum leaks or cracked hoses, cleaned air/oil separator, sprayed intake cleaner into intake whilst running and heat soaked, removed throttle body and thoroughly cleaned, changed all 8 coil packs and plugs, and most recently changed the hydraulic actuator solenoid under the valve covers on the front of my GTS 4.8L engine. Those solenoids were $300 each, plus gaskets, etc. Cost me over $900 with my labour. Not to difficult of a job, just tight spots to remove bolts. About 3 hours/bank to do.

Right now, I am at a loss as to why the code keeps returning. I don't want to take it to Porsche to have them provide the same codes I already know return. However, as far as I know, only Porsche can afford the system tester computer and software license and I don't know of any shops in my area that can have anything like this. I am awaiting a service manager to discuss over the phone so as to not waste time reading codes and rather get to the source of the problem without throwing new parts/money at it until something corrects it. I already feel the actuator solenoids may or may not have been a waste.

However, I can say the idle seems a bit low, but it is smoother than when the problem first began. Before it was like a diesel truck. Now it is only a low rumbling idle. I also permanently disconnected the sport exhaust vacuum lines to make the exhaust note permanently louder. Maybe I am off, but my thinking is that the computer may believe it is in "sport" mode all the time and changing how long the valves lift for in duration to throw the code. I just re-connected last night and cleared the code. I doubt this will solve it, but I am back tracking to source changes as to when the problem occurred.

The parts personnel at Porsche mentioned the actual mechanical camshaft adjuster/actuator (round gear like part on front of camshaft) could have failed. These are $840 each. Once again, I don't want to throw money at the problem unless they can demonstrate it's failure. Thus, I need someone to look at timing, voltage variances, fuel mixtures, pressures, etc. ... an indepth diagnosis, not just a hunch or belief.

I was hoping to hear your problem resolved. Here in Ontario we have emission teesting and with the CEL on it will fail and not be allowed on the road. Even though all other systems show "ready" for emissions, but because it's a CEL, it won't pass.
The following users liked this post:
C4SJOHN (07-23-2020)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Rashed Al Alawi
2nd Gear

Default Cayenne s 2005 camshaft

After long research i changed camshaft sensor bank 2 but not working I check wiring ok I fund problem in camshaft need adjustment engine and repair camshaft I attached photos

Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashed Al Alawi
After long research i changed camshaft sensor bank 2 but not working I check wiring ok I fund problem in camshaft need adjustment engine and repair camshaft
You need a new camshaft. That bent finger is what's throwing off your camshaft position sensor. That usually happens when someone isn't REAL careful putting the valve cover back on.

Gonna be $$$...
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by bbb bbb
So what ended up fixing it? I have replaced both actuator solenoids, but not the actuator itself. The actuator on the front of each csmshaft is $800+ and dealer says front engine cover, as well as valve covers, needs to be removed. However, they said it is done with engine in the Cayenne, not removed.
The dealer is giving you a line of BS. The front engine cover doesn't have to be removed. You might go over to the Cayenne forum on 6speedonline and look for the 958 subforum. One sticky is about failing camshaft actuators (VARIOCAM adjusters). Replacement labor is about 8 hours. Front engine cover doesn't come off - just the camshaft covers. There are a few special tools. The adjusters list price at around $700/each - but can be easily found on-line for a bit over $500/each.

Tell the dealer that you want them to read WC-22, which describes replacing them, and has a parts list, and allows ~4 hours labor to do the job as a workshop campaign. They'll tell you it doesn't apply to your engine - but the basic engine hasn't changed. Same procedure. Same parts.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:59 AM
Brix31
1st Gear

Default hallo bbbbb

Sometimes it's just P1372, other times it's just P1351, P1353, & P1354. Recently I got the P0303 in addition. I usually just clear them and it takes an agressive run to have them return.

Now, more often I get P1372 after about 50km of driving and the other codes are "pending". I have a VAG-COM, not Durametric. Thus far I have cleaned MAF's, changed air filters, checked for vacuum leaks or cracked hoses, cleaned air/oil separator, sprayed intake cleaner into intake whilst running and heat soaked, removed throttle body and thoroughly cleaned, changed all 8 coil packs and plugs, and most recently changed the hydraulic actuator solenoid under the valve covers on the front of my GTS 4.8L engine. Those solenoids were $300 each, plus gaskets, etc. Cost me over $900 with my labour. Not to difficult of a job, just tight spots to remove bolts. About 3 hours/bank to do.

Right now, I am at a loss as to why the code keeps returning. I don't want to take it to Porsche to have them provide the same codes I already know return. However, as far as I know, only Porsche can afford the system tester computer and software license and I don't know of any shops in my area that can have anything like this. I am awaiting a service manager to discuss over the phone so as to not waste time reading codes and rather get to the source of the problem without throwing new parts/money at it until something corrects it. I already feel the actuator solenoids may or may not have been a waste.

However, I can say the idle seems a bit low, but it is smoother than when the problem first began. Before it was like a diesel truck. Now it is only a low rumbling idle. I also permanently disconnected the sport exhaust vacuum lines to make the exhaust note permanently louder. Maybe I am off, but my thinking is that the computer may believe it is in "sport" mode all the time and changing how long the valves lift for in duration to throw the code. I just re-connected last night and cleared the code. I doubt this will solve it, but I am back tracking to source changes as to when the problem occurred.

The parts personnel at Porsche mentioned the actual mechanical camshaft adjuster/actuator (round gear like part on front of camshaft) could have failed. These are $840 each. Once again, I don't want to throw money at the problem unless they can demonstrate it's failure. Thus, I need someone to look at timing, voltage variances, fuel mixtures, pressures, etc. ... an indepth diagnosis, not just a hunch or belief.

I was hoping to hear your problem resolved. Here in Ontario we have emission teesting and with the CEL on it will fail and not be allowed on the road. Even though all other systems show "ready" for emissions, but because it's a CEL, it won't pass.

Did you find your problem

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-17-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Fixed QUOTE for the 1 line response (grrrrr...)
Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 AM
CTTGenTherapy
Intermediate

Default Cam actuator error.

I reluctantly suggest oil analysis test to check for oil / metal contamination. Fresh oil no CEL for awhile then if only run at low rpm no CEL, after some miles higher rpm and CEL, cam advance solenoid error. Bad sequence of events to come. Possibly metal in oil slowing actuator reaction indications.
Please check with cylinder bore scope before much more $$ . This eerily similar to my scoring experience and I wish for you it not being the same case but needs to be considered.
Please know I post this cautiously without an appearance of over reaction.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Brix31
Did you find your problem
I rather suspect that you're not going to receive a response from BBB BBB - last time he/she was here was 10-25-2016. Either the vehicle is gone by now or they've just dumped their problem here and never posted what the resolution was. Rude behavior IMHO, but not a lot we can do about it except ignore any further inquiries from the person.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:10 PM
Panamera2014
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Code P1372 2014 Porsche Panamera 4S. I had timing chain job done on my car. Sometime later check engine light came on. Scanned and got code. Has anyone been able to fix this issue out there?
Old 07-22-2020, 11:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Panamera2014
Code P1372 2014 Porsche Panamera 4S. I had timing chain job done on my car. Sometime later check engine light came on. Scanned and got code. Has anyone been able to fix this issue out there?
Ummmm....

Did you intend to post this in the Cayenne forum?
If so - can you identify what engine your 4S has, not all of us are that familiar.
And can you perhaps tell us what the code# was and what the scan tool thought it was telling us.

OR

If you just posted here by mistake, let us know and I'll make it go away.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:22 AM
Jimmyb2times
2nd Gear

try the valve lift solenoid in back of cylinder head

2010 cayenne s 4.8l valve lift solenoid in the back of the cylinder head
Old 09-06-2022, 07:06 AM
Panamera2014
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wrong post

Posted in the wrong forum.
my porsche has a lifter tick.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Ummmm....

Did you intend to post this in the Cayenne forum?
If so - can you identify what engine your 4S has, not all of us are that familiar.
And can you perhaps tell us what the code# was and what the scan tool thought it was telling us.

OR

If you just posted here by mistake, let us know and I'll make it go away.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:47 PM
Jimmyb2times
2nd Gear

The solenoid for valve lift on the back of the cylinder head. You have to remove the vacuum pump

Quick Reply: Camshaft Actuator Replacement?