Sponsored by:

Difference between Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Difference between Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg

Soooo.. I now am the happy owner of both a 04 Touareg V8 and a 04 Cayenne Turbo ( I take delivery of the turbo in two weeks) I am excited!

The single biggest thing I can tell you is that my women friends NEVER asked me to go for a ride in the Touareg. At least 5 have asked to do a road trip with me in the Cayenne (and I don't even have possession of it yet!). This is the fundamental difference between the two.

I spent a lot of time with the Cayenne before deciding to buy it and I can tell you a LOT of it is the same.This is to be expected of course as the body in white is the same and engineering many components twice (like the HVAC system) would not make sense.

The center display menus are the same and work the same as the Touareg.

The air suspension has the same settings (and the switches work the same)

The HVAC system is the same with the same functions as the Touareg

When I get possession I will be in a unique position to have both side by side to find further similarities. I will add to this at that time
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

When you press down on the accelerator you will know the difference. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Blade-MD
When you press down on the accelerator you will know the difference. Congrats on the purchase!
Oh, I know this.

I am a function over form kinda guy, and as such I couldn't justify the difference in price between a Cayenne S and Touareg V8. both had the same performance and the comfort level was the same (to me)

Now the turbo is a completely different case. I don't think the W12 was ever sold in North America, but it would have been awesome to own as well.

Another one of the choices was the V10 diesel. I have to tow a 7500lb boat and trailer, and the Touareg does it just fine. In fact it was easier and more comfortable than the F150 it replaced.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The differences are huge, you will see when you get it.

The center display on the Cayenne should be nicer for sure.

I would never buy a Touareg, too boring for me.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brit6
The differences are huge, you will see when you get it.

The center display on the Cayenne should be nicer for sure.

I would never buy a Touareg, too boring for me.
Yes i did notice the center display used more colour and differing text sizes, so that does make it a little more classy.

I never said the interior of the Touareg was exciting. Just that from a simple numbers perspective, the Touareg and the Cayenne S had the same performance. And for that I couldn't justify (to myself) the price difference.

Of course the turbo changes all the scales........It was actually what I was looking for when I bought the Treg. I am exited to get the turbo, just ask my friends....
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Brit6
Racer

You will love it, especially the leather trimmed dash, door panels, etc.

Hopefully you got some good options, alcantara headliner, cd changer, homelink, entry and drive, etc.

I bought mine from PFAFF Porsche a couple years ago!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Brit6, what is the body kit your avatar? Sorry for the thread hijack...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Brit6
Racer

This one:

http://worldcarslist.com/page/porsch...t/default.html

PS: Not my car.

Originally Posted by TomF
Brit6, what is the body kit your avatar? Sorry for the thread hijack...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I owned a 04 touareg since new until last year (9 years total)

The touareg had more bells and whistles for a base v6 stock vs $$$ for the cayenne or it was not available at all. My $40k Touareg V6 had xenon, nav, heated seats, moon roof, dimming power mirrors, hitch, coming home function, interior mood lighting, etc. I think just about everything except leather, push button start, and paddle shifters. My 2005 Cayenne S had half the bells and whistles and was nearly 40k more, but the suspension and engine make up for it in the end of the day.

I have owned a cayenne for about 4 years now.

Key difference is handling/suspension, and the engines as you move up, and the name.

VW commissioned Porsche to create the touareg/cayenne platform, for the first gen the V6 was basically the same engine, header was tweaked for the cayenne and it had ECU mapping differences in the VW to loose a little power and not have it compete too much with the Cayenne.

Porsche V8s are their own, same with the VW V8 and W10 Turbo.

Porsche got I believe a 1 year to market first lead in the deal too.

With the later models, true 2nd gen, can't speak to those.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I drove a touareg. I drove a cayenne. The handling and feel was so much better in the cayenne, I never looked at a touareg again. Just my experience.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by touareg
I owned a 04 touareg since new until last year (9 years total)

The touareg had more bells and whistles for a base v6 stock vs $$$ for the cayenne or it was not available at all. My $40k Touareg V6 had xenon, nav, heated seats, moon roof, dimming power mirrors, hitch, coming home function, interior mood lighting, etc. I think just about everything except leather, push button start, and paddle shifters. My 2005 Cayenne S had half the bells and whistles and was nearly 40k more, but the suspension and engine make up for it in the end of the day.

I have owned a cayenne for about 4 years now.

Key difference is handling/suspension, and the engines as you move up, and the name.

VW commissioned Porsche to create the touareg/cayenne platform, for the first gen the V6 was basically the same engine, header was tweaked for the cayenne and it had ECU mapping differences in the VW to loose a little power and not have it compete too much with the Cayenne.

Porsche V8s are their own, same with the VW V8 and W10 Turbo.

Porsche got I believe a 1 year to market first lead in the deal too.

With the later models, true 2nd gen, can't speak to those.
I noticed the options too. My V8 has just about every thing except back up camera, 4 position climate control, and push button start (which I am going to add). There are a lot of nice features (auto dimming outside and inside mirrors for instance) and rain sensing wipers that I like a lot. Most of which didn't come on the V6 Cayenne (or touareg V6 for that matter).

So at that point the price differences made all the difference to me.

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I drove a touareg. I drove a cayenne. The handling and feel was so much better in the cayenne, I never looked at a touareg again. Just my experience.
I looked under the car and I will obviously look closer, but the air ride suspension looks the same as on my Touareg. I will definitely put both of them up on the hoist to see. If so, then the only way it would be different would be the software. Which ,of course, is possible....
Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 PM
mcbit
Drifting

...and the dampers which you can't see.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman

I looked under the car and I will obviously look closer, but the air ride suspension looks the same as on my Touareg. I will definitely put both of them up on the hoist to see. If so, then the only way it would be different would be the software. Which ,of course, is possible....

I doubt you will see much with the naked eye. Most of the difference will be in the tuning and internal many parts. Torque split in the TCase, gear ratios, differential systems, bushing materials and stiffness, damper valving/tuning, sway bar thickness, alignment specs, material choices, etc.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

What Cole said mostly. The Air ride suspension is the same as well as many parts. The suspension pieces are mostly the same but Porsche tends to use stiffer Durometer rubber in most of the bushings. If you have Vagcom the modules are 'Almost' all the same (same hardware, just different software versions), but the software Porsche has adapted for PSM, and the Air Suspension (comfort, normal, sport) is definitely a step above VAG, but yes, it does cost more. It would be nice for the hard pieces to have a cross reference list to see what is exactly the same.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
I doubt you will see much with the naked eye. Most of the difference will be in the tuning and internal many parts. Torque split in the TCase, gear ratios, differential systems, bushing materials and stiffness, damper valving/tuning, sway bar thickness, alignment specs, material choices, etc.
Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
What Cole said mostly. The Air ride suspension is the same as well as many parts. The suspension pieces are mostly the same but Porsche tends to use stiffer Durometer rubber in most of the bushings. If you have Vagcom the modules are 'Almost' all the same (same hardware, just different software versions), but the software Porsche has adapted for PSM, and the Air Suspension (comfort, normal, sport) is definitely a step above VAG, but yes, it does cost more. It would be nice for the hard pieces to have a cross reference list to see what is exactly the same.
I just did a small experiment and looked up parts in several online parts stores for control arms. In all cases the part numbers are the same. And some of them claim that the parts are manufactured to the EXACT OEM specs indicate that the parts are the same. (I know claims are mostly BS) .

Does anyone know how the body in white is shipped to the assembly plants? Is the suspension attached? I would be curious to see how it is done.

I will be interested to see what the similarities and differences really are. While you can change the ride characteristics in software for the air ride suspension, if you use the same bags and the same valves the rides could be programmed the same (in theory). The only difference would be software, and yes it certainly could handle stiffer if you wanted it to. But maximum reaction times to rebound, etc would be set by the mechanical parts.

Gonna be fun comparing....

Quick Reply: Difference between Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg