Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When the turbo arrives, you will be selling the Touareg shortly after.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Front brakes are different between your Touareg and Cayenne. Your V8 Touareg, along with the V6 Cayenne and Touareg, have 330mm front brake rotors. The Cayenne S, Turbo, and Touareg V10 TDI have 350mm front rotors. They all have the same 330mm rear rotors. Your air suspension V8 Touareg along with my V10 have slightly smaller hollow sway bars than Cayenne Turbo hollow bars. Fronts on the air suspension Touaregs are 34.6mm and on the Cayenne Turbo are 37mm. I don't know what the rear Treg bars are size wise but the Cayenne Turbo bar is 25mm. Cayenne Turbo sway bars and bushings, front and rear, can be had for around $300 and change from Sunset.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
When the turbo arrives, you will be selling the Touareg shortly after.
Somehow I know this is likely... lol
Old 03-28-2014, 08:10 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Sooo... after one week with the Turbo:

The instrument cluster has a much better center display and uses colour much better. I like it.

The turn signal indicators are in a wierd place. On way opposite sides of the gauges. Don't like that so much. The Treg has turn signals in the mirrors. Did the Cayenne not have this in 04? Option? I use the ones in the mirror to make sure I have the signal on as I am changing lanes (I have to look there anyway) Just a convenience thing.

The power is intoxicating. I have a HUGE smile every time I get on the loud pedal.

The Treg has better storage than the P!g. the one on the center of the dash is super convenient for sunglasses. Yes the pepper has the little flippy thing, and it would be great if I didn't wear normal glasses, but because I have to swap I like the center dash holder much better. Also better for my phone.

The leather covered dash and door panels are a really nice touch and the seats leather is a much better quality than the VW. Smells better too. lol

Clearly Porsche was resisting cup holders for the Cayenne.....

VW put light controls for the ambient on the MFD instead of buttons on the overhead console. I like the MFD better. VW also chose red as the back lighting which is much better than the yellow Porsche chose.

Porsche mounted the cargo cover to the seats instead of the side panels. This is good and bad. If you just want the large side down you cannot (that I can see now, but didn't look that hard)[bad] but when you put both seats down it is automatically stored.[good]

TPMS is an option? Surprising considering the top speed of the vehicle. One less thing to fix, but I liked it on the treg. With low profile tires it is more difficult to sense low pressure. With ****ty roads one can never be sure until you drive a couple of hundred meters.....

That's it so far, at least off the top of my head....

Oh ya. it does use more fuel than the V8 Treg, Not a huge amount, but that might be all the full throttle acceleration I have been doing
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TPMS is not an option, it's been mandated by the NHSTA for all vehicles manufactured after 9/1/2007. There's an entire section in the MFD dedicated to TPMS, and I'm pretty sure it's on the CAN bus as well. When I traded my Touareg for a Cayenne, I was disappointed at the smaller size of the center console display screen and that the cargo door cannot be closed remotely. And the Car-Go mat from the Touareg didn't fit the Cayenne. But I've learned to live with the small stuff, as overall the Cayenne is a helluva lot more car than is the Touareg.

//greg//
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman

The turn signal indicators are in a wierd place. On way opposite sides of the gauges. Don't like that so much.
Or a normal place and the ones on the Touareg are in a weird place. You just got used to the other ones

The Treg has turn signals in the mirrors. Did the Cayenne not have this in 04? Option? I use the ones in the mirror to make sure I have the signal on as I am changing lanes (I have to look there anyway) Just a convenience thing.
Why would you need to verify that you turned on a turn signal?

My fingers have been connected to my brain (as a convenience thing) for a long time. They conveniently communicate back and forth about the operating position of the turn signal lever.

The power is intoxicating. I have a HUGE smile every time I get on the loud pedal.

The Treg has better storage than the P!g. the one on the center of the dash is super convenient for sunglasses.
I wouldn't say the Touareg storage is "better". Dash storage works if you don't have "intoxicating power"

I'm sure if you carry a ton of crap around there are more places to put it in a Touareg. But are they as secure for sporty driving?

Clearly Porsche was resisting cup holders for the Cayenne.....
With a proper cup the cup holders are genius!! They hold my coffee cup in place during the most spirited of driving but allow for easy removal to take a drink!

VW also chose red as the back lighting which is much better than the yellow Porsche chose.
I've had several VW and Audi with the red light. IMO its much easier to see things with the yellow and not as hard on the eyes. (The red light not effecting night vision has been proven a myth) the yellowish tone in the Cayenne seems much closer to a natural shade.

Porsche mounted the cargo cover to the seats instead of the side panels. This is good and bad.
Audi does this too. It allows the cargo/pet partition two locations. When you put the seats down you can raise the cargo/pet partition up behind the front seats!

It also gets the partition out of the way instead of having a random floating beam in the middle of your cargo space.

TPMS is an option? Surprising considering the top speed of the vehicle. One less thing to fix, but I liked it on the treg.
The sensors might be dead/missing/turned off.

Oh ya. it does use more fuel than the V8 Treg, Not a huge amount, but that might be all the full throttle acceleration I have been doing
I'd be curios to hear how they compare after you've had it a few years.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by grohgreg
TPMS is not an option, it's been mandated by the NHSTA for all vehicles manufactured after 9/1/2007. There's an entire section in the MFD dedicated to TPMS, and I'm pretty
//greg//

He has an 04
Old 03-28-2014, 02:02 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
Or a normal place and the ones on the Touareg are in a weird place. You just got used to the other ones

Why would you need to verify that you turned on a turn signal?

My fingers have been connected to my brain (as a convenience thing) for a long time. They conveniently communicate back and forth about the operating position of the turn signal lever.
Ya mine too, but I guess I just like blinking lights.....lol

I wouldn't say the Touareg storage is "better". Dash storage works if you don't have "intoxicating power"
Tis true, but it is my DD, so I must try and contain my spirit.

I'm sure if you carry a ton of crap around there are more places to put it in a Touareg. But are they as secure for sporty driving?
Not a ton, but the small amount works with the spaces VW gave me. Just something I will have to get used to.

With a proper cup the cup holders are genius!! They hold my coffee cup in place during the most spirited of driving but allow for easy removal to take a drink!
Actually I have almost exclusively given up eating and drinking in the car. So not a huge issue, but when I do need it it is usually in a larger cup or bottle.

I've had several VW and Audi with the red light. IMO its much easier to see things with the yellow and not as hard on the eyes. (The red light not effecting night vision has been proven a myth) the yellowish tone in the Cayenne seems much closer to a natural shade.

I am not 100% convinced of this. Either way there is nothing I can do. The touareg dash seems much nicer at night (the instrument cluster is NOT red but a white. Everything seems crisper on the Treg. But again not a huge issue

Audi does this too. It allows the cargo/pet partition two locations. When you put the seats down you can raise the cargo/pet partition up behind the front seats!

It also gets the partition out of the way instead of having a random floating beam in the middle of your cargo space.

Yes. That part is nice. Not a huge deal either, as I usually have cargo or passengers. Not both.

The sensors might be dead/missing/turned off.

In the treg it had A) a display on the menu and B) an alarm when a tire was low. These tires definately don't have the sensors, but not sure if the car came with it or not. Will have to do some searching.Anyone know the option code for TPMS?

I'd be curios to hear how they compare after you've had it a few years.
I will let you know....
Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding me? Everything!
It's like comparing you versus siblings, assuming created from the same parents genetically speaking...
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pcst
Are you kidding me? Everything!
No not everything. The transmissions are the same. The body (except front hood/fenders/bumper and rear hatch/bumper are the same. Same HVAC unit/ same air ride suspension (if you have it). Same body control modules (keyless entry windows and airbags and others). Same seat frames and controls (although coverings are different). Many other things I haven't remembered off the top of my head.

So it is not everything. But the price most definitely is!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Cole
Drifting

No not everything. The transmissions are the same. The body (except front hood/fenders/bumper and rear hatch/bumper are the same. Same HVAC unit/ same air ride suspension (if you have it). Same body control modules (keyless entry windows and airbags and others). Same seat frames and controls (although coverings are different). Many other things I haven't remembered off the top of my head.

So it is not everything. But the price most definitely is!

Not quite. The body floor pan is the same, but the body is actually different. You can't for example bolt Cayenne doors or hatch onto a Touareg body. Touareg glass won't fit in a Cayenne.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Not quite. The body floor pan is the same, but the body is actually different. You can't for example bolt Cayenne doors or hatch onto a Touareg body. Touareg glass won't fit in a Cayenne.
From Touaregfaq.com

2.9. What components do the Touareg and Cayenne share?
The Cayenne and Touareg share the same chassis, transmission, AWD system, suspension, windshield, doors, and some sheet metal.

I can't confirm the doors from personal experience but can confirm that the windscreen is the same, I had one fitted to my 2005 CTT
Old 03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has an 04
My bad. Knew he had just bought a turbo in the opening post. Incorrectly assumed it was a new one.

//greg//
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the treg it had A) a display on the menu and B) an alarm when a tire was low. These tires definately don't have the sensors, but not sure if the car came with it or not. Will have to do some searching.Anyone know the option code for TPMS?
Option code for TPMS is I7K4.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcbit
From Touaregfaq.com

2.9. What components do the Touareg and Cayenne share?
The Cayenne and Touareg share the same chassis, transmission, AWD system, suspension, windshield, doors, and some sheet metal.

I can't confirm the doors from personal experience but can confirm that the windscreen is the same, I had one fitted to my 2005 CTT
Anyone can clearly see that the rear fenders,rear roof line, rear taillight sockets, windows, tailgate, etc are different. So its obvious that the touaregfaq is wrong in that aspect. The doors also look to have a different shape.

Also. The suspension is "similar" but not " the same. The transmission maybe the same unit but tuned the same or different internally? Audi/Porssche/VW/BMW all use variations of the "same transmission" across lots of platforms. But tune each differently for the engine and car it's going in.

We know the torque split at the transfer case is different in the Cayenne even though it's the same basic transfer case design.

This sounds like a case of Touareg owners taking a "quick glance" at some parts and jumping to conclusions.

Think about how many body variations Porsche makes on a 911 in a single model year. Think they would simply throw new front fenders on a Touareg and call it a Cayenne?

Similar doesn't equal " the same"

Last edited by Cole; 03-29-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Difference between Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg