Sponsored by:

Grille guard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:00 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for posting the link. I read, with great interest, the story in Pano about Otis and your adventures. I am very interested in your experiences overlanding. Sadly, my 2008 CTT was totalled after I got hit head-on in rush hour traffic here in Seattle. I guess I could have used a grille guard! I am on my way to check out a replacement tomorrow, so I may be looking for a grille guard soon.

I really enjoyed the article! I'd love to check out Otis in person sometime. I'll bring the foie gras!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom, if you read the article on Otis in Panorama or the link in the forum here, they had theirs done down by me at Progressive Metalcraft in Puyallup. I've had them do some Stainless welding and other things over the years and they really do a nice job for a reasonable price. It is custom work though and they can build to your specs.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:16 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Thanks for posting the link. I read, with great interest, the story in Pano about Otis and your adventures. I am very interested in your experiences overlanding. Sadly, my 2008 CTT was totalled after I got hit head-on in rush hour traffic here in Seattle. I guess I could have used a grille guard! I am on my way to check out a replacement tomorrow, so I may be looking for a grille guard soon.

I really enjoyed the article! I'd love to check out Otis in person sometime. I'll bring the foie gras!

Cheers,
TomF
Glad to hear you are ok--were you satisfied with insurance payout? As someone who is searching for an 08-10 TT I'm interested in what Insurance company valuations are as opposed to the "shotgun" market price of these cars.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Glad to hear you are ok--were you satisfied with insurance payout? As someone who is searching for an 08-10 TT I'm interested in what Insurance company valuations are as opposed to the "shotgun" market price of these cars.
Thanks. I was fine, but was hit by a BMW 3-series going 35 MPH while sitting at a light. These P!Gs are incrediblly strong and all the damage was to the body panels and the mechanicals, not the frame.

It took a long time to get the settlement offer from my insurance (I got hit by an uninsured driver) but the number was very satisfactory at $31K and nearly what I paid for the car nearly three years earlier. I got a great deal at the time, however!

In the future, I am going back to stated value on my insurance for simplicity's sake. I have done this with nearly all the 911's I've had over the past 29 years.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Tom, if you read the article on Otis in Panorama or the link in the forum here, they had theirs done down by me at Progressive Metalcraft in Puyallup. I've had them do some Stainless welding and other things over the years and they really do a nice job for a reasonable price. It is custom work though and they can build to your specs.
Hey, thanks very much for the tip! I am off tomorrow to look at replacement Cayenne Turbo, this time a 2009 TTS, and will certainly begin to consider the addition of a brush bar and winch.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

In the future, I am going back to stated value on my insurance for simplicity's sake. I have done this with nearly all the 911's I've had over the past 29 years.

Cheers,
TomF
From your experience, you probably know this, but "Stated Value" with a regular insurance carrier is not the same thing as "Agreed Value" with a company like Hagerty or Leland West. At the time of a total loss on a stated value policy, the adjusters will still run market analyses and adjust down from the stated value for the payout. It will likely be higher than a regular blue-book value type payout, but is not necessarily the same number you "stated" the car was worth on your policy declarations.

Agreed value is exactly that - you and your carrier mutually agree what the value of your vehicle is and that is the number they payout in the event of a total loss. This type of coverage is not usually available from most regular insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, Travelers, etc.

I have a stated value policy on my Cayenne but Agreed value with Hagerty on my RUF 997, 928 Spyder, and 914 as those have too much $ invested in them to rely on a stated value policy and the carrier doing the right thing.

Pete
Old 01-24-2017, 04:25 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
You must have done a bar for another Cayenne as we did not use Progressive Metalcraft in Puyallup. The grill guard for Otis was fabricated by Louie and Dan at J&L Fabricating. https://vimeo.com/64528023
Enjoyed working with them for fitting, hard to tell that they made it out of many pieces. We were high centered on snow once. When a friend winched us off did not see any flex, the bar did its job. Also works well with the winch mounted to it.

Last edited by RS-America; 01-24-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:00 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Pete, thanks for your comments about "stated" vs. "agreed." For my 1987 930S, I had an agreed value with Leland West and for my various less-than-rare 911's I have stuck with stated value. My carrier was actually great about the Cayenne, it just took while to educate them about the rarity of various options, like PDCC. They even added to the settlement the fact that I had just replaced all my Contis to the tune of $1800.

As I just today bought a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S and will be picking it up this weekend, I will be looking into the best path for insuring it. I will probably go with stated value, since it is not that rare of a vehicle.

Now to find a replacement for my 911 C4 Cab!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-25-2017, 07:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Hi Pete, thanks for your comments about "stated" vs. "agreed." For my 1987 930S, I had an agreed value with Leland West and for my various less-than-rare 911's I have stuck with stated value. My carrier was actually great about the Cayenne, it just took while to educate them about the rarity of various options, like PDCC. They even added to the settlement the fact that I had just replaced all my Contis to the tune of $1800.

As I just today bought a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S and will be picking it up this weekend, I will be looking into the best path for insuring it. I will probably go with stated value, since it is not that rare of a vehicle.

Now to find a replacement for my 911 C4 Cab!

Cheers,
TomF
How rare your '09 Turbo S is depends on the mileage. Mine had 26,000 miles when I bought it last April and I've looked for another with less than 30k miles and have been unable to find another. Let me know what you end up with on it. After my widebody build, I may try to move mine to Hagerty with Agreed Value as well.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Congrats! How much did you end up paying for it and how many miles? Trying to get "real" sold values versus advertised as I continue my months long search for the right 08-10 CTT/CTTS.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:27 PM
Matt Bronowicz
2nd Gear

Default Back to Grill Guard

So, back to the original Grill Guard Question...what has been determined? I too am searching for a front Grille Guard for my 2008 Cayenne TT. I drive backroads in Florida and deer a major problem.
I'm also taking up a project of converting my CTT into the TransSyberia model. I already have the turbo and tires. I ordered the top light bar (not from Porsche, they wanted $2,300 for the whole setup and lights). I'm putting it together for more like$300. I buy the travel luggage cross bars for top that easily fit into existing rails/gutters on roof then by main cross bar and install lights. I wire down through moon roof.

Anyway, I need the front guard.
Must I have one made from scratch, OR do they make one that fits the Cayenne without much molding??

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Congrats! How much did you end up paying for it and how many miles? Trying to get "real" sold values versus advertised as I continue my months long search for the right 08-10 CTT/CTTS.
Back
Old 09-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Tedman5
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Matt Bronowicz
So, back to the original Grill Guard Question...what has been determined? I too am searching for a front Grille Guard for my 2008 Cayenne TT. I drive backroads in Florida and deer a major problem.
I'm also taking up a project of converting my CTT into the TransSyberia model. I already have the turbo and tires. I ordered the top light bar (not from Porsche, they wanted $2,300 for the whole setup and lights). I'm putting it together for more like$300. I buy the travel luggage cross bars for top that easily fit into existing rails/gutters on roof then by main cross bar and install lights. I wire down through moon roof.

Anyway, I need the front guard.
Must I have one made from scratch, OR do they make one that fits the Cayenne without much molding??

Back

So where are you on all this? I’m on the journey of making my 09 GTS more off road friendly and having difficulty finding pretty much anything. I’ve been searching Toureg stuff because there’s more for that vehicle and the chassis is pretty much the same with any Toureg designed part being easily modified to fit.
I did come across a group that tried to get going in 13 and failed to make it to a production business due to low volume. They had some heavy duty under carriage skids which is exactly what is needed to protect all those expensive P-parts. I’d really like to find front end protection and the ones I found are out of Europe and kind of cheesy looking. Mainly for city protection and the “look”.
Lets keep this going!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

antec-online used to make skid plates and brush bar for Treg but when I checked with them few months ago, they said they don't make them anymore. However, you can see the diagram of their bull bar:
https://www.antec-online.de/download...1754211_en.pdf

It shouldn't be too difficult for a reputable off road shop to make one. For mounting points, 2 frame rail ends and front bumper support bar could be used.

For off road protection underneath:

OEM running boards are pretty well constructed and provide a good coverage underneath. They're pretty rare so finding a used set might be tricky.

Engine/Transission skid plates can be easily made and fitted by any good off-road / fabrication shop. Frame rail holes can be used as mounting points, see my build thread for pics of my homemade skid plates.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:51 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Our grill guard, skid pads, rock sliders, etc have been doing the job for ~98,000 miles
Primarily off-road driving overland for up to three weeks a trip and off-road rally the longest was 5,500 miles one way north of the Arctic Circle in winter.
Going on another Arctic run this winter different route that will take us to Tuktoyaktuk then to Fairbanks, Coldfoot, finishing in Ancorage for the Iditarod start.

Quick Reply: Grille guard?