Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a bicycle fit in the back of a Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Will a bicycle fit in the back of a Cayenne?

I'm thinking about replacing my pickup with a Cayenne and one concern is carrying the bike. I could get a trailer hitch or roof rack but for quick trips out for a local ride I'd like to just take off the front wheel and put it in the back. Anyone here do it? Preferably without lowering the bicycle seat (36" inseam.)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM
JFR-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In less time than it takes to fold down the seats you could pop a hitch rack on, and from there it's just as easy to throw a bike on as it is to shove one in the back... and a lot safer on the interior.

I'm a cyclist and I take my hitch rack on/off for bike transportation. With the front wheel off, sure a bike will fit inside. But I've not done it. Just get yourself a hitch rack that folds up for easy storage in your garage when not in use.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 PM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 6" 1" and my Trek Cobia with just the front wheel removed will fit with seats folded down. You do have to remove the 3 head rests and put them somewhere to fold them down though.

The Trek has 29" wheels, so its a pretty big bike.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a bicycle in the back of my Cayenne once. It fit.

But, it also broke the driver's side plastic mesh tweeter cover on the back pillar with it's handlebars... so I've never invited it back.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 67bmer
I am 6" 1" and my Trek Cobia with just the front wheel removed will fit with seats folded down. You do have to remove the 3 head rests and put them somewhere to fold them down though.

The Trek has 29" wheels, so its a pretty big bike.
For the 2011 through current Cayennes you don't have to remove the back seat head rests to fold the back seats down.
Not sure if the previous generations had more room though.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts

Road or mountain bike? Because of the handlebars it's very tight with a mountain bike, road bike no issue. Even if it doesn't fit that way, take the back wheel off, it's an extra 15 seconds at most and you don't have the aggravation of putting it on a rack securely. Bike racks are a total pain in the *** if you ask me. The rear mounted ones are also good for getting your bike filthy too.

FYI, I get my road bike in the back of my 993 no problem. Both wheels off, flipped upside down, it fits.

I ride a 59cm road bike with 46cm wide handlebars.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter
...for quick trips out for a local ride I'd like to just take off the front wheel and put it in the back.
I do it all the time in my 955 Cayenne. The seats are 60/40 split and I drop the passenger side and in she goes, fork first. I also pull the headrests so that the seat is completely flat. Works for my road and mountain bikes.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my road bike inside all the time. I prefer it this way vs hanging on our Thule hitch rack (which is for family biking outings instead).

I fold the left passenger seat down, front wheel off, and carefully slide the bike in.

It's better than leaving the bike outside, exposed to thieves, rocks, road debris especially if you have a high dollar bike.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drop my seats without pulling the bottom cushions or taking off the headrests and slide my bike in without taking off the wheels. Takes 30 seconds.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 PM
DenverSteve
Advanced

Yes it will fit. However, as above, an hitch mount will keep road schmutz, tar, dirt and grease off the interior.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My size small 29er full suspension mountain bike fits perfectly, without even removing the front wheel. Any larger than small and the front wheel should be removed. The rear wheel is scary close to my right elbow and shoulder. Road bike should fit in all sizes...
Old 01-08-2017, 02:56 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Thought I'd update this old post of mine. In my 958 with rear seats down, I can fit my 29er MTB with the front wheel off but even better news is that my 60cm road bike with the seat post near max height fits with both wheels installed!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:16 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

I had 3 people, 2 large road bikes, all the gear and luggage for a 3 day road trip in the back of my 08 without any issues at all.

Last edited by KarlJC; 01-08-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:26 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Despite all the people saying they do it, the real answer is dependent upon you: how tall are you? I have very long legs and my road bike does not fit standing upright whereas my friends who are short have no problem. Getting my road bike in requires a bit of fiddling, although it does fit on it's side with the seats folded.

I also have a hitch rack and a roof rack. The hitch is easy to get on and off. Also, depending on your style of bike, I recommend getting a stand where the bike stands on the rack. I have the hanging rack and if you have external cables, they will rub where the rack holds the bike and remove paint.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Despite all the people saying they do it, the real answer is dependent upon you: how tall are you? I have very long legs and my road bike does not fit standing upright whereas my friends who are short have no problem. Getting my road bike in requires a bit of fiddling, although it does fit on it's side with the seats folded.

I also have a hitch rack and a roof rack. The hitch is easy to get on and off. Also, depending on your style of bike, I recommend getting a stand where the bike stands on the rack. I have the hanging rack and if you have external cables, they will rub where the rack holds the bike and remove paint.
Agreed on all points. My road bike with the triathlon bars (helps wrist pain to have other hand positions) would have zero chance of fitting in the back.

In a pinch I dropped the 60 part of the seat and stuffed my son's 20" Riprock fatty mountain bike back there, with room to spare.

I've used roof racks and they're great when it's just you. Pop the wheel, heave it up there and wrestle with getting the fork onto the mount without gouging the roof or cracking the moon roof panel... I got used to it with just my bike, by myself but doing two... with an audience... ugh. Then you're still stuck with a filthy tire in the back.

A friend had a full stand up rack on the roof... it was a huge hassle trying to muscle the bikes up onto it. Not to mention the wind noise and clearance issues (not that a fork mount is much better).

Xmas this year brought me a Kuat Transfer 3 hitch mount. Much less trouble. The downside is having to use a hex key to secure the mount into the hitch receiver to remove/install it. I've yet to put in on the GTS (too eff'in cold for biking). The nicest part of using this style of rack is not having to deal with anything having to grab onto or otherwise wear against the frame tubes/cables.

Quick Reply: Will a bicycle fit in the back of a Cayenne?