Sponsored by:

Brake rotor thickness question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake rotor thickness question

Another thread on brakes reminded me of a question I have, if you're doing a brake job and the minimum rotor thickness (usually stamped on the edge of the rotor) says 24mm (I just picked a measurement at random) and when you start the brake job the rotor thickness measures 25mm, should you replace the rotor expecting the rotor to be under the minimum thickness before the pads wear out or does the min. thickness measurement take into account the anticipated wear on a new set of pads? Asked another way, are rotors to be replaced as soon as they fall under the min. thickness or on the next set of pads?

Personally, if it's as close as this example is (1mm) I'm going to replace the rotors, I just don't know if it's overkill.

Just curious.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

The factory Porsche discs are pretty thick. IIRC, most allow about 2mm of wear before you get below the suggested minimum thickness. Based on what you said, your discs will be below minimum before your pads wear out, but I wouldn't necessarily be overly concerned about that. I'm pretty confident you can easily wear your discs at least 1mm below minimum thickness doing ordinary street driving and not really be putting your safety at risk. I'm actually doing that right now.

My front uber-expensive CTTS discs are below minimum thickness, and I have my replacement set waiting to install in my garage. But I'm letting my pads wear down further first, and then I'll do both discs and pads. I keep an eye on the discs and they're holding up well even though below minimum thickness. No issues with stopping power, either.

Quick Reply: Brake rotor thickness question